PDA

View Full Version : I finally broke down....

Sinixstar
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
After years of being diehard anti-glock, I put a brand new G19 on a 10 day hold.

Been looking for a 9mm, and tried a handful of different things. Beretta PX4 and 92FS, H&K p2000, Sig 239, Glock 19, and I want to say a few others.
Kept going back to the glock - each time I shot it, I liked it more and more. Never thought i'd say I own one, but I finally drank the kool-aide.

What it came down to for me was complete package. Every gun I shot had things about it I really liked, but they all also came with some flaws. The PX4 and 92FS were like shooting a Cadillac, super smooth, super easy to shoot - really comfortable, but also felt rather large.

I felt the most accurate with the Sig 239 and liked that one a bit better, but I couldn't find one for sale (new) in the area.

The P2000 was a perfectly fine gun, but just didn't stand out all that much.

The glock seemed to have the total package. Good size, shoots well, accurate, comfortable (once i got used to it), not a lot of recoil, good sights.

So - there it is.

This doesn't mean I have to get rid of my 1911 does it?

:D

shoupdawg
01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
nah...

jmf_tracy
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
too bad you did not try out an XD9.

twotap
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
nah .just keep them in seperate corners for the first few days so they don't fight. congrats on your purchise.

Sinixstar
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
too bad you did not try out an XD9.

Yea, I wanted to check the XD out - but none of the ranges around here had 'em for rent I don't think. I really wanted to make sure i got some time on whatever it was I did end up buying, before i put money down.

Black Majik
01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
The Darkside you have gone to.

Welcome! :)

Donk310
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I would have broken down a long time ago if they had made one that looks good. This may sound corny but I like guns that look good... I can get used to to everything else. Glocks.. just aren't good looking guns. Thats just me. Congrats on your purchase.

NorCalMama
01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
:clap: Congratualtions! You've made a most excellent choice!

Now tell me, did you go with the basic black, or OD Green?

Harley
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Nope, keep it and congrats! :D

Sinixstar
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Donk - yea, it kind of looks like a lego-brick gun. Again, starting to grow on me though.

NorCalMama - i kept it boring and went with black.

Ducman
01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
while the G19 is nice, pls. don't get rid of the 1911, you'll regret it.

Sinixstar
01-07-2010, 12:22 AM
while the G19 is nice, pls. don't get rid of the 1911, you'll regret it.

haha - no, not getting rid of the 1911. Only way i would do that, is to use the money to upgrade to new 1911.

NorCalMama
01-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Donk - yea, it kind of looks like a lego-brick gun. Again, starting to grow on me though.

It's a Glock, so by default it can't be boring... :D
I want to get the G34 in black. *sigh*

PS-legos can be quite fun, don't understimate it based on it's simple design. ;)

Sinixstar
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I originally had my eye on the 35 (.40 instead of 9).
I found shooting glocks in .40 to be less then pleasant though. That round seems to have just a touch more snap then I like for such a light gun.

gixxer750
01-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Good job on buying the Glock, welcome to the darkside! You should get the 34 next.

tbhracing
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM
I think everyone should own a Glock 19. Its like....so awesome.

ZirconJohn
01-07-2010, 1:05 AM
You made the right choice...!

What's that someone said... XD...?

Nope... if you want a Springfield, get a 1911.

Glock doesn't make 1911's... uh gee, ya/no... no they do not. See, Glock makes Glock.

An XD is a copy of Glock.

Why buy a copy... it's like drinking Odouls to get a buz...!?!

You want simplicity, accuracy, durability... oh and be sure to have someone knows how to use the trigger on a Glock show you how it works... and no, I don't mean the safety. Ask a Glock kind-a guy and he gonne show ya.

So that's it.

I have Springfield, I have Kimber 1911... BUT... if SHTF and Red Dawn pick-ups come rollin' ta pick me up and they saying 'bring all your ammo, one rifle, and one handgun...!' - I grab my Springfield SOCOM II, and my Glock... leave the Kimber and Springfield 1911's behind. Not knockin' them... for I will cry big tears... but, this my call.

gixxer750
01-07-2010, 1:13 AM

Glock doesn't make 1911's... uh gee, ya/no... no they do not. See, Glock makes Glock.

You want simplicity, accuracy, durability... oh and be sure to have someone knows how to use the trigger on a Glock show you how it works... and no, I don't mean the safety. Ask a Glock kind-a guy and he gonne show ya.

So that's it.

I have Springfield, I have Kimber 1911... BUT... if SHTF and Red Dawn pick-ups come rollin' ta pick me up and they saying 'bring all your ammo, one rifle, and one handgun...!' - I grab my Springfield SOCOM II, and my Glock... leave the Kimber and Springfield 1911's behind. Not knockin' them... for I will cry big tears... but, this my call.

Well said.

Sinixstar
01-07-2010, 1:32 AM
zircon - that's a big part of the reason why i didn't bend over backwards looking for the XD to rent. I held the glock, I held the XD. Figured if I was going to get one, it would be the original. If they would have had the XD to rent, i would have given it a few rounds, but somehow I think I would have come to the same decision.

Nynvolt
01-07-2010, 3:07 AM
The Beretta, not sure what the model was called back in 1993 but it looked just like the military ones, was such a nice gun. I was looking to buy at the time and shot several guns at the range. Boiled down to the Glock 17 or Beretta, with the Beretta edging out the Glock until the guy at the range told me he sends more Beretta's out for repair than any other they rent, and he had never sent a Glock for repair.

Ended up getting a heavily used G19, great gun. Regret selling it.

I still want one of those Berettas though.

Enjoy your Glock.

Rob Roy
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Excellent choice, congrats!!! :thumbsup:

JJ1911
01-08-2010, 1:43 AM
Glock 19 is my favorite 9mm pistol hands down.

Omil
01-08-2010, 2:46 AM
Congrats. After all those years, you woke up for a Glock..:sleeping:

Miltiades
01-08-2010, 4:18 AM
Glocks.. just aren't good looking guns.

True...but they work. He chose function over form.

walter
01-27-2010, 2:05 AM
if you like glocks you'll hate xds. dude i kep going back to glock to because for some reason they are the full package but they look like crap!

liketoshoot
01-27-2010, 6:17 AM
After years of being diehard anti-glock, I put a brand new G19 on a 10 day hold.

So - there it is.

This doesn't mean I have to get rid of my 1911 does it?

:D

Yes, I'll pm you my address.

qaz987
01-27-2010, 1:25 PM
Good job on the open mind! Don't sell the 1911 yet, it's too soon.

Wafflestomper
01-27-2010, 1:39 PM
I think everyone should own a Glock 19. Its like....so awesome.

Honestly, I have never liked Glocks. I've test fired the Glock 19 and compared it with a salty Beretta M9 and found that the M9 was superior in accuracy as far as having tight groups at 20 yards. The Glock was lighter, which was nice but not worth the trade-off IMHO.

I was also testing the Glock21 45ACP vs. the H&K Mk23 45ACP at about the same time and again preferred the H&K over Glock (performance wise). The Glock was indeed lighter and more concealable but I am not a cop nor a criminal so concealability was not of concern then.

Today, I recently purchased a H&K USP Expert 45ACP and I am fully satisfied with it. I fired the weapon with my brother who owns a Glock21 and the difference was clear that while the Glock is light, compact, and able to shoot without cleaning the H&K is superior in accuracy and recoil management. The price difference is ridiculous but I am not someone that skimps on purchasing a firearm that may be used in a life/death situation.

It is safe to say that a Glock is comparable to an AK47. It has the ability to fire with little to no maintenance and it is comparatively user friendly. Many people are into that sort of thing but I take pride in my firearms and make sure they are cleaned and effective at all times.

If you’re into light and concealable handguns that will not fail you when you failed to clean your firearm or if you’re on a tight budget, then by all means buy them up! If you enjoy quality match grade handguns right out of the box I’d look elsewhere.

ZombieTactics
01-27-2010, 2:12 PM
Glocks are excellent to be sure. They aren't my personal favorite, but I don't mind getting out the old 17 now-n-then.

Enjoy!

pullnshoot25
01-27-2010, 2:28 PM
I thought about getting a Glock recently but then I realized that my Hi Power and Makarov do all the jobs I need done. However, I would like to add a Glock to the fold in the future.

pullnshoot25
01-27-2010, 2:29 PM
Honestly, I have never liked Glocks. I've test fired the Glock 19 and compared it with a salty Beretta M9 and found that the M9 was superior in accuracy as far as having tight groups at 20 yards. The Glock was lighter, which was nice but not worth the trade-off IMHO.

I was also testing the Glock21 45ACP vs. the H&K Mk23 45ACP at about the same time and again preferred the H&K over Glock (performance wise). The Glock was indeed lighter and more concealable but I am not a cop nor a criminal so concealability was not of concern then.

Today, I recently purchased a H&K USP Expert 45ACP and I am fully satisfied with it. I fired the weapon with my brother who owns a Glock21 and the difference was clear that while the Glock is light, compact, and able to shoot without cleaning the H&K is superior in accuracy and recoil management. The price difference is ridiculous but I am not someone that skimps on purchasing a firearm that may be used in a life/death situation.

It is safe to say that a Glock is comparable to an AK47. It has the ability to fire with little to no maintenance and it is comparatively user friendly. Many people are into that sort of thing but I take pride in my firearms and make sure they are cleaned and effective at all times.

If you’re into light and concealable handguns that will not fail you when you failed to clean your firearm or if you’re on a tight budget, then by all means buy them up! If you enjoy quality match grade handguns right out of the box I’d look elsewhere.

Huh?

vinny_land
01-27-2010, 2:30 PM
I think Im starting to go down the same road too with Glock. Didnt always like the grip angle and the trigger system. Tried the Glock 22 and didnt like the snappy feel but then I tried a Glock 21SF and its more to love. Glocks sure do grow on you and Im thinking about getting own down the road.

And this is coming from a guy who grew up on 1911s and Sigs.

Wafflestomper
01-27-2010, 2:36 PM
Huh?

The point of having a compact/concealable weapon is so that it can be hidden (off-duty weapons for law enforcement or something you'd hide in your sagging pants if you're a criminal - I am neither).

jmf_tracy
01-27-2010, 2:44 PM

So that's it.

ummm....
not!
XD is not a glock copy.
the closest that you can accurately say is that an XD is like a refined glock. i have both glocks & XD's. i never shoot my glocks anymore because i like my XD's much better. as for 1911's, puhlease. antiquated almost 100 year old technology. i know there are a lot of die hard 1911 & glock fanboys (& fangirls), but i am sorry to have to tell you...
the XD is all that and you should have at least tried one out before you drank the glock-aide.

Ultimate
01-27-2010, 2:45 PM

It's ok the black ones are 10% more accurate and increase the velocity of the round by 20% more over the OD. :43:

Welcome to the Glock Side.

SJgunguy24
01-27-2010, 2:52 PM
I was BSing with a SWAT guy one day, he carries a Les Baer everyday and never skimps on guns.
He said any Glock purchase is a good purchase, it's a known quantity and you know your getting a reliable combat handgun that will serve you well.

SJgunguy24
01-27-2010, 3:01 PM
ummm....
not!
XD is not a glock copy.
the closest that you can accurately say is that an XD is like a refined glock. i have both glocks & XD's. i never shoot my glocks anymore because i like my XD's much better. as for 1911's, puhlease. antiquated almost 100 year old technology. i know there are a lot of die hard 1911 & glock fanboys (& fangirls), but i am sorry to have to tell you...
the XD is all that and you should have at least tried one out before you drank the glock-aide.

I did when they first got to the states as the HS2000. I feild stripped the HS and looked at the frame, looks like a Glock, as do most plastic framed striker fired guns.
There is nothing on a Glock they I can't walk into LC action and buy a replacment for and install myself in 1 minute flat. The frame and slide are the only parts I would need to order.
Mags are 20$ and I love the interchangability of the Glock system. I can rip any of the internal parts from my 26 if something breaks in my 17 and get that going. If my 17 goes down I can use those mags in my 26.
Wanna different caliber, swap uppers, extractor, and mag for 100% reliability. No DROS, no waiting period.

jmf_tracy
01-27-2010, 3:16 PM
sjgunguy - it's ok, you can love your glocks. i never said it was a bad gun and i have owned a few glocks, JMO, the XD is better. you bring up some very good points, but i still like my XD9 better. i like the way it shoots & feels as well as i shoot better with my XD than my glock.

pullnshoot25
01-27-2010, 6:03 PM
The point of having a compact/concealable weapon is so that it can be hidden (off-duty weapons for law enforcement or something you'd hide in your sagging pants if you're a criminal - I am neither).

WOW. I'm going to let you think about how dumb that statement is.

cineski
10-28-2010, 6:19 AM
Tragically, your theory on this is severely mistaken.

I am not a cop nor a criminal so concealability was not of concern then.

HPGunner
10-28-2010, 6:39 AM
I regret I sold my glock 17, but I also don't regret using the proceeds to fund my 1911.
Looking for a glock 19 now. I like the look of the glock over an XD or M&P.

ZX-10R
10-28-2010, 6:59 AM
To bad you did not try the MP9

21SF
10-28-2010, 7:14 AM
Glock ftw !!! Hands down best pistol ever!!! I like the way it looks sexy simplicity....

Greg-Dawg
10-28-2010, 8:13 AM
Congratulations in owning the best pistol in the world.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/G17Gen43006.jpg

shmeare
10-28-2010, 8:56 AM
i got a G17 and i'm very happy with it! i don't even know how many rounds i put through it... i think is around 4K plus since i got it. No failures at all!

Honeydos
10-28-2010, 9:09 AM
Come on you guys... You can love a Glock and a 1911 too... I do. Even an XD. Just not an

M&P:D.

I just love my Glock more.

Shenaniguns
10-28-2010, 9:51 AM
ummm....
not!
XD is not a glock copy.

More like Glock's complicated weird cousin... Between the Glock and now the M&P, I'm surprised the XD sells still.

l8apex
10-28-2010, 9:58 AM
Made the same decision earlier this year. Now that I can choose what I employ for a pistol the choice was clear. Sold the others, with the exception of two, and settled on the Glock 9mm platform. You will find that many who have hunted men for a living have made a similar choice-consolidating to Glock 9mm or a good 1911.

RedFord150
10-28-2010, 10:03 AM
The G19 has been on my radar for awhile. The G34 is also tempting. I suspect one these 2 will be my first plastic gun. I will never part from my big metal .45's.
Good choice.

yoitsbruce
10-28-2010, 6:59 PM
glocks r good