PDA

View Full Version : A.J Ordance Thomas .45 ACP?

Boxer
01-06-2010, 8:10 PM
Anybody know anything about this handgun, values, reviews, and or shooting experience?

A.J Ordance Thomas .45 ACP

wilshire1412
01-07-2010, 9:30 AM
These were developed and produced during the early '70s if I recall correctly, small operation that did not stay around long. The pistols are double action only and all steel construction so that may be one reason they did not stay in production very long, heavier than a Colt Commander and harder to shoot.

I checked another forum and there was one post regarding the possibility that this design can be fired out of battery fairly easy, it seems like the locking mechanism was rather unique on the Thomas .45.

I know where one is for sale, it is perhaps the one you are asking about?

This pistol would only be a curiosity item, maybe some collector value if you need to own one of every type of pistol in .45 ACP ever made. It is not in the same category of desireability as something like the Semmerling .45.

I would not buy one to shoot it any, spare parts would be a problem if anything breaks.

9mmepiphany
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
it's in the same class as the COP 4 barreled .357 Mag derringer...interesting collector piece...they were on the cover of American Handgunner on month

if you want a unique shooter, the Semmerling would be an excellent route

-hanko
01-07-2010, 1:23 PM
This is an archived high road thread, hope it helps...

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-322189.html

-hanko

Boxer
01-07-2010, 4:15 PM
These were developed and produced during the early '70s if I recall correctly, small operation that did not stay around long. The pistols are double action only and all steel construction so that may be one reason they did not stay in production very long, heavier than a Colt Commander and harder to shoot.

I checked another forum and there was one post regarding the possibility that this design can be fired out of battery fairly easy, it seems like the locking mechanism was rather unique on the Thomas .45.

I know where one is for sale, it is perhaps the one you are asking about?

This pistol would only be a curiosity item, maybe some collector value if you need to own one of every type of pistol in .45 ACP ever made. It is not in the same category of desireability as something like the Semmerling .45.

I would not buy one to shoot it any, spare parts would be a problem if anything breaks.

I am sure that you and I are looking at the same one, if it has a craked grip. It looked neat, but maybe I'll pass based on the posted comments. Thanks for your replies.