PDA

View Full Version : Recoil - Glock 29 vs. Kahr 40

justin_5585
01-06-2010, 6:53 PM
So I've been looking for a good carry gun over the past few months, and today I found my self gravitating to the Glock 29. I've never shot a 10mm, so I don't know if the recoil is really as bad as people say (especially in a subcompact). I have however shot a kahr pm40, and although the recoil wasn't painful, it wasn't a fun gun to shoot and it was hard to hang onto without a mag extension.

Basically, what I'm asking is how difficult is the little 10mm to handle, and what do you folks that have one think (especially if you've shot the Kahr as well!)?

Thanks,

-justin

PutTogether
01-06-2010, 7:04 PM
Sooo much of that question will depend on what 10mm load you are shooting. More than most other rounds, there is a HUGE variety in power and recoil available in 10mm rounds. With your off the shelf plinking type stuff, it won't be bad at all. It in fact feels a lot more comfortable than the PM40. With silver tips, or hot Cor-Bon loads, the G29 gets.........well, call it snappy. I haven't personally shot the really, REALLY hot Buffalo Bore or Double Tap stuff in a 29, so I can't comment there.

Here is how I would rank in terms of least to most recoil.

G29 with mild regular loads (but why get a 10mm carry gun and shoot light loads? IMO, it would make more sense to go G27 in .40)

PM 40 with mild loads

PM 40 with hotter loads

G29 with hot loads.

It is worth noting though, that even though the actual recoil of the 29 with hot loads is "more", it still doesn't hurt the web of your hand like the PM40 does, because the glock is so much wider. Though admitedly, that could just be me.

cineski
01-06-2010, 7:24 PM
The Kahr will conceal WAY more easily than the Glock. Heck, any Glock for that matter, but especially the 29. Can't comment too much on recoil, but my PM9 has about as much recoil as my Glock 19. Short barrel means less pressure, but lighter gun cancels that out.

Bryan16
01-06-2010, 7:35 PM
I used to carry the G29 off duty and retired it. It's just way too much gun for my needs. Recoil is pretty bad with Doubletap ammo (very fun though!). Too much for concealed carry though. Don't even try it without the finger extension. Forget it! I love my G29 more than any other gun I own, but it does not fit the needs of a concealed carry gun in my opinion. I now use it as my camping/hunting sidearm or for the days I want to show off at the range ;)

The G29 really isn't all that bad with regular range ammo though. But I only shoot the real stuff through mine. You could always get a .40 barrel conversion if you like the idea of having cheaper plinking ammo too. My G29 doesn't get taken out too much anymore now that DT has raised their prices to almost $1 per bullet with shipping!

justin_5585
01-06-2010, 9:01 PM
The Kahr will conceal WAY more easily than the Glock. Heck, any Glock for that matter, but especially the 29. Can't comment too much on recoil, but my PM9 has about as much recoil as my Glock 19. Short barrel means less pressure, but lighter gun cancels that out.

Do you think the glock is harder to conceal because it's wider? I am open to suggestions, I haven't put money down on a gun yet!

justin_5585
01-06-2010, 9:23 PM
I used to carry the G29 off duty and retired it. It's just way too much gun for my needs. Recoil is pretty bad with Doubletap ammo (very fun though!). Too much for concealed carry though. Don't even try it without the finger extension. Forget it! I love my G29 more than any other gun I own, but it does not fit the needs of a concealed carry gun in my opinion. I now use it as my camping/hunting sidearm or for the days I want to show off at the range ;)

The G29 really isn't all that bad with regular range ammo though. But I only shoot the real stuff through mine. You could always get a .40 barrel conversion if you like the idea of having cheaper plinking ammo too. My G29 doesn't get taken out too much anymore now that DT has raised their prices to almost $1 per bullet with shipping!

So what do you carry instead?

Bryan16
01-06-2010, 9:26 PM
I alternate between a G19, G26, P239, and a LCP. I never carry full size weapons concealed. I'm trying to add a Ruger LCR to the lineup, but can't seem to find one at a reasonable price.

cineski
01-09-2010, 8:43 PM
Width and height are the biggest detractors to a carry gun. The PM series of weapons are a dream in this manor. They're also a great gun, once you work the kinks out. I had 2 brand new Kahrs and 2 Kahrs that had to go back to the manufacturer for reliability work. The PM9 is my carry piece (in free states ;-) and is quite easy to conceal despite my wife induced form fitting clothes. Anything wider, or with a longer grip will just not conceal nearly as well as the thin PM Kahrs in a holster. Pocket carry there's much better guns in .380 for this.

justin_5585
01-10-2010, 4:29 PM
Well I'm 6' and 190 - 195 lbs (depending on my gym time). I want something I can conceal in the summer without going pocket carry (I like using my pockets, what can I say), but that has a little bit more on it than a 380, and I can still shoot for fun as is or with a grip extension (read: something that won't punish me if I want to put 300 rounds through it on a range day). I've never had a harder time deciding on a gun than when trying to decide carry options.