PDA

View Full Version : Night- stand gun safe

XDRoX
01-06-2010, 2:15 PM
I picked up one of these cheap little safes at Turners and screwed it into the middle shelf on my night stand. It screws into the stand from the inside of the safe, so it can't be removed without being opened. It has 5 electronic buttons on top. Once the combo is pushed the door flies open. It turned out really cool so I thought I'd post pics.
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/gun%20pics/oh.jpg
The shiny thing in the back is a dehumidifier.
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/gun%20pics/oh1.jpg

huggybear
01-06-2010, 2:20 PM
i got one of these safes, they r actually pretty cool. What is that white thing at the end of the safe?

XDRoX
01-06-2010, 2:27 PM
That's the dehumidifier. It's silver but looks white in the photo. When it needs to be recharged I just put it in the toaster oven for 3 hours. The gun is a S&W Model 60. It's really tiny, but can shoot 357. I keep 38's in it.

louscamaro91
01-06-2010, 2:38 PM
Keep Glock 22 and an 870 by me at night and a Glock 17 in the top tank of my crapper.. Not going to catch me slippin'..Jk :)

rockdogz
01-06-2010, 2:45 PM
Nice... any reason you didn't go with the mini safe? Just curious... I have a rain check for one from Turners right now because Fountain Valley was out.

XDRoX
01-06-2010, 2:54 PM
Nice... any reason you didn't go with the mini safe? Just curious... I have a rain check for one from Turners right now because Fountain Valley was out.

I don't know about that one. I think I just got the cheapest thing they had at the time. Plus I needed to make sure that it fit in my nightstand which is very slim for a nightstand. My wife had our furniture custom made to fit exactly where she wanted it, so it's a pretty odd sized nightstand.

mstlaurent
01-06-2010, 2:59 PM
I have the same safe screwed into my nightstand as well. It's handy, but it's really just for childproofing/legal compliance. Any determined thief could get it open in a couple of minutes with a flathead screwdriver.

choprzrul
01-06-2010, 3:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-X105-Security-Cubic-Black/dp/B000Z8P69W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1262822266&sr=8-2 is in my nightstand. For under $90 delivered, it fits my needs perfectly.

rockdogz
01-06-2010, 3:11 PM
http://www.gunvault.com/mini-mini-deluxe.html
http://www.gunvault.com/skin/frontend/default/gunvault/images/cms_block_images/products_images/cat1-img1.jpg

This one. It's in the current Turner's ad for $99.98. Looks like the one you got was cheaper though - $59. Anyone have both and can recommend one over the other?

bigbob76
01-06-2010, 6:38 PM
I wouldn't bet my life on an electronic safe. The manual Simplex design is better but even so I would leave it open at night.

ChrisTKHarris
01-06-2010, 6:48 PM
Keep Glock 22 and an 870 by me at night and a Glock 17 in the top tank of my crapper.. Not going to catch me slippin'..Jk :)

Do you really keep a Glock in the toilet tank? lol

smt77
01-06-2010, 6:55 PM
I have the same Sentry safe. I like it and it fits quite well where I put it.

swerv512
01-06-2010, 7:05 PM
just my 2-cents, but i wouldnt want anything (including a safe) getting in the way of me and my firearm in my residence at night. what happens when you dont have enough time to get in that lil safe... better to keep one handy at night and lock it up in a real safe when you're not around.

XDRoX
01-06-2010, 8:39 PM
just my 2-cents, but i wouldnt want anything (including a safe) getting in the way of me and my firearm in my residence at night. what happens when you dont have enough time to get in that lil safe... better to keep one handy at night and lock it up in a real safe when you're not around.

I have a family, so keeping unlocked guns about is not an option for me anymore. I also have a state-of-the-art alarm system. If I hear something goes bump in the night, or if the alarm tells me there is something to worry about, I feel confident that that 1.3 seconds it takes me to open the safe will not depend on my life. YMMV.

.40Cal
01-07-2010, 1:06 AM
Do you really keep a Glock in the toilet tank? lol

I wouldn't bet my life on an electronic safe. The manual Simplex design is better but even so I would leave it open at night. Must be a daily chore: Open the safe at night. Lock it before going to work in the morning. Get home in the evening, again unlock it...leave the door open. ....... I mean everyday? That's tiring (IMHO, of course)

Is it just me, or are some people really very "Pr........" 'Protective' for no reason. Anybody else feels that? Does does everybody sleep with a loaded gun within hands reach everynight!

bigbob76
01-07-2010, 3:56 AM
Must be a daily chore: Open the safe at night. Lock it before going to work in the morning. Get home in the evening, again unlock it...leave the door open. ....... I mean everyday? That's tiring (IMHO, of course)

Is it just me, or are some people really very "Pr........" 'Protective' for no reason. Anybody else feels that? Does does everybody sleep with a loaded gun within hands reach everynight!

It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it. The world we're living in today isn't the same as when I was growing up.

ChrisTKHarris
01-07-2010, 7:11 AM
Must be a daily chore: Open the safe at night. Lock it before going to work in the morning. Get home in the evening, again unlock it...leave the door open. ....... I mean everyday? That's tiring (IMHO, of course)

I sleep with a gun near by at night. :) Since I own it I might as well keep it at my disposal.

BiggMatt
01-07-2010, 7:47 AM
Bedside gun is kept in a Gunvault at night, but back into the real safe each morning.
Too easy for a burglar just to steal the whole Gunvault while I am away during the day.

sonico
01-07-2010, 7:48 AM

I keep mine in a safe in a drawer within arms reach, drawer open/safe unlocked at night and then locked in the morning when I wake up.

Takes 5 seconds out of my day and is routine enough I don't even have to think about it. I can unlock the thing without even looking at it I'm so used to it.

I have nice things and people I love, why wouldn't I give myself the means to quickly protect them?

glock_this
01-07-2010, 7:50 AM
I use the electronic GunVault.. I have some actual cool bed side table install photos here on CG

SCMA-1
01-07-2010, 8:29 AM
I have several of these mounted in strategic locations. They are affordable and work well:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/electronic-locking-quick-access-safe.aspx?a=313144

Mad Scotsman
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
My wife bought the same one for her side, local place in Chico. I picked up one thats half as tall, top flips up, at Cabela's in Reno, close to work.

sgtbuck
01-07-2010, 6:25 PM
I have kids so I have to have one. I have had mine for over a year and like it allot. I check it nightly and have had two times in the last year where I have had to get my gun out in the dark at 2am. I had no problem and I was able to get it out faster then anyone could have broken into my home. You want to layer you security. First make sure your gates are lock and secured. Then make sure your house doors and windows are all locked before going to bed. Have a dog or two or three in my case that will wake you up if they hear problems. I also have a camera system and signs posted that my property is under video surveillance and is being recorded. Since I have done this I have never had an issue with my property or my family’s safety. My neighbors have had a few problems but not me.

BigDogatPlay
01-07-2010, 6:34 PM
Been using a GunVault mounted in the middle open section of the huge pier unit that is our "headboard" for quite a while now. The piers on the side are like really tall nightstands but are solid construction. Mounting it into the recessed and enclosed (except for the front) shelf was easy. Open at night so no waiting around to get into the game.

sumdood
01-07-2010, 7:17 PM
and a Glock 17 in the top tank of my crapper..

hmmm....

louscamaro91
01-07-2010, 7:30 PM
hmmm....
It's a joke come on guys a little humor. I would not doubt that a Glock could survive in a tank of water for years.. Just dont get ammo saturated.

IrishPirate
01-07-2010, 7:32 PM
is that one of the biometric scanning ones or do you need to use a key? seems like it fits just right....if it's a key hopefully you can get it in there to get your gun in a hurry.

.40Cal
01-07-2010, 7:33 PM
I sleep with a gun near by at night. :) Since I own it I might as well keep it at my disposal.

Now that I can understand and agree with. I would have sex with mine, if I could...

I keep mine in a safe in a drawer within arms reach, drawer open/safe unlocked at night and then locked in the morning when I wake up.

Takes 5 seconds out of my day and is routine enough I don't even have to think about it. I can unlock the thing without even looking at it I'm so used to it.

I have nice things and people I love, why wouldn't I give myself the means to quickly protect them?

I understand the idea of being protective. And trust me, family and my property is not something I would allow anybody to mess with. However, I just find it truly funny that "everynight", I go through a chore of opening a safe taking the gun out, putting it in a drawer next to me (left open). Then returning it back to safe in the morning... and doing it all over again. I can see my wife really laughing at me, when I say 'honey I'll be right there, let me just get the gun out of the safe'. And eventually she'd think I'm peranoid, or weird. Having said that, I would do it the same way - but for how long? Not sure! It's like when you're newly married, as soon as you hit the bed you think of sex. Then it becomes a routine, and eventually after 15 yrs, it's not the same 'Drama'.

Now if I lived in a real bad area, I would carry one in my car, one in the office, and one in every room of my house. But I said this in a good sense of humor, not intened to hurt anyone's feeling. To each his own. And I respect anyone who thinks of safety first...

P.S: Just realised guys who own guns and fast cars must have a very sharp brain, self-control, and skills. Dang we're talented! We should be awarded, not given speeding tickets... :chris:

Gress
01-07-2010, 8:54 PM
We should be awarded, not given speeding tickets... :chris:

Exactly! Talented or not. :D

ChrisTKHarris
01-07-2010, 8:57 PM
Now that I can understand and agree with. I would have sex with mine, if I could...

I understand the idea of being protective. And trust me, family and my property is not something I would allow anybody to mess with. However, I just find it truly funny that "everynight", I go through a chore of opening a safe taking the gun out, putting it in a drawer next to me (left open). Then returning it back to safe in the morning... and doing it all over again. I can see my wife really laughing at me, when I say 'honey I'll be right there, let me just get the gun out of the safe'. And eventually she'd think I'm peranoid, or weird. Having said that, I would do it the same way - but for how long? Not sure! It's like when you're newly married, as soon as you hit the bed you think of sex. Then it becomes a routine, and eventually after 15 yrs, it's not the same 'Drama'.

Now if I lived in a real bad area, I would carry one in my car, one in the office, and one in every room of my house. But I said this in a good sense of humor, not intened to hurt anyone's feeling. To each his own. And I respect anyone who thinks of safety first...

P.S: Just realised guys who own guns and fast cars must have a very sharp brain, self-control, and skills. Dang we're talented! We should be awarded, not given speeding tickets... :chris:

You'd have to either be poorly-equipped or have a gun with a HUGE caliber. :rofl:

dobek
01-07-2010, 9:49 PM
I know the guy making these - real piece of furniture for the room - looks nice for the wife - can't be disassembled - easy entry.

They weigh 100# or so - Biometric lock - fire proof -

Made in Sacramento. ---- Ca DOJ Approved

Steve

https://www.sleepsafe.com/products/bed-side-table-safe

https://www.sleepsafe.com/wp-content/uploads/Bedside-3-150x150.jpg

kid
11-20-2010, 9:55 PM
I know the guy making these - real piece of furniture for the room - looks nice for the wife - can't be disassembled - easy entry.

They weigh 100# or so - Biometric lock - fire proof -

Made in Sacramento. ---- Ca DOJ Approved

Steve

https://www.sleepsafe.com/products/bed-side-table-safe

https://www.sleepsafe.com/wp-content/uploads/Bedside-3-150x150.jpg

not fireproof, new temp site: http://www.sleepsafe.com/customproducts.html

ethan

RedFord150
11-21-2010, 8:04 AM
I bolted a Homak small pistol safe to the inside of a deep nightstand drawer. Carriage bolts with big fender washers on the outside with acorn nuts on the inside. The safe barely fits my Ruger Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. The good news is the gun fits nicely with barrel pointed down. If this gun were to go off, the bullet would hit the floor. I posted the link below;
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=homak+hs10036683&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17844555711866676419&ei=RlDpTOjNKYOgsQPb242xCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAg#

Any security you choose is much better than a hidden gun or just out in the open.

BanjoGunner
11-21-2010, 9:26 AM
Although I was initially hesitant about buying an electronic safe, I bought a gun vault mini a couple of years ago and have been very satisfied. It is hidden from view, bolted to a piece of furniture, one step from my bed. I like that it can be opened blindly and I practice doing this at least once a day. I have also tried to simulate stress opening by sprinting to it after a long run and I can still get it open on the first or second try.

Of course I'll never really know until I need it, but hopefully that day will never come, and for now I feel about as secure as I think I can.

Speedpower
11-21-2010, 9:45 AM

Yes! :yes:

harbinger007
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I have a couple of the products shown at http://www.vlineind.com/ and recommend them. I had read of gunvault units failing and a locksmith/safe dealer told me of having to drill into safes with failed electronic locks so I decided to stay with something mechanical.

Fishslayer
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I also have a state-of-the-art alarm system. If I hear something goes bump in the night, .

My Aussie Cattle Dog & the wife's German Shepherd may not be state of the art but yeah... I'll have quite a bit more than 3 seconds to get into the safe.:D

Leaving loaded firearms laying about isn't an option for me, either.