PDA

View Full Version : Computer help, part 2

cgseanp1
01-06-2010, 2:12 PM
If you read my previous thread, you saw I am having problems with some kinda nasty virus. I tried downloading all different kinds of anti virus programs, including Malwarebytes, Avira(or something like that), Kaspersky, and another one I can't remember. To make a long story short, none of these programs will install. They start the process, then the computer will freeze and I have to turn it off. I already had the kaspersky installed, but now it won't open.
I think my only option now is to just try to wipe the hard drive clean. How do I go about this? Is it going to completely erase Windows? If so, how do I get it back?

A little about my compter.. well my roomates computer. It's fairly old, it's running off Windows XP. I don't know the other specs, but it sucks. She's pissed that I got a virus on it, even though she had absolutely no anti virus software installed. I'm not even sure it was me, but whatever, not going to argue. I know this POS is probably worth 50 bucks if it was working, but to her it's still worth the 500 ish she paid 5 years ago..

So ya.. Can I just wipe it clean and start over? It may cost more than computers worth, but if it's less than a new computer that's good with me.

Thanks

badandy
01-06-2010, 2:26 PM
The virus is preventing malwarebytes and kapersky from install/running. You will have to boot into safe mode(F8 during boot) and then try to install malwarebytes, maybe from a thumb drive so you know its not been corrupted. you at this point may want to rt click on the icon and select run as administrator. Malwarebytes will likely shut down the virus and then let you further scan with an anti virus(I use Avast 4 Home) successfully. and with avast you can also do a boot time scan before startup programs run, important. I have also experienced this type of virus changing proxy settings and in the removal process important windows files may be found corrupt and deleted... but your stuck taking that risk.

choprzrul
01-06-2010, 2:35 PM
The virus is preventing malwarebytes and kapersky from install/running. You will have to boot into safe mode(F8 during boot) and then try to install malwarebytes, maybe from a thumb drive so you know its not been corrupted. you at this point may want to rt click on the icon and select run as administrator. Malwarebytes will likely shut down the virus and then let you further scan with an anti virus(I use Avast 4 Home) successfully. and with avast you can also do a boot time scan before startup programs run, important. I have also experienced this type of virus changing proxy settings and in the removal process important windows files may be found corrupt and deleted... but your stuck taking that risk.

^^This is good advice^^ You might consider choosing "Safe Mode with Networking" so that Avast and Malwarebytes can update themselves prior to scanning.

Acorn556
01-06-2010, 3:53 PM
I second the safe mode.

Also look into saving her pictures/songs/documents etc and getting a new computer for her. If it will get her off your back and you can't get rid of it it might be the only option.
You could also try taking it into a computer place and having them take a look at it.

is it only when you use the internet or does it just shut down spontaneously?
Anyone want to try logmein and help this guy out?