PDA

View Full Version : Quality report...AR lowers

TonyNorCal
12-15-2005, 6:05 PM
I'd like a quality assessment from people who have actually seen/used them (or know people who have).

Fulton Armory
Stag

Thanks

BigAL
12-15-2005, 6:18 PM
With the exception of the finish applied to the rifle, forged lower recievers are all pretty much the same. I have seen Stag recievers but not Fulton ones. The Stag recievers all looked excellent as far as fit and finish. But some people object to the deer head logo they have because it's not high speed low drag enough. :rolleyes:

I think people have also mentioned Sun Devil lowers which are machined from solid billet. They are not mil-spec in the sense that lower recievers are supposed to be forged.

Cast lowers may be vulnerable to cracking if dropped or hit hard as they tend to be more brittle. But the
truth is the lower receiver takes very little beating on a AR-15 under normal operation. Back in 1999 I bought a cast DPMS reciever in December as that was all I could find but I have since sold it to a friend who has not reported any problems.

ETA: By finish differences I mean they can range in color from "Colt grey" to jet black. Stags are on the black side, not sure about Fulton. The important thing is that both come from 7076 T6 Aluminum forgings that have been anodized.

sintax
12-15-2005, 6:22 PM
that sums it ALL up.

Also, some of the forged ones are made of different grade materials as well.

BigAL
12-15-2005, 6:30 PM
I also wanted to add that lowers will have varying levels of machine marks. I've seen lowers that were almost totally clean to ones that looked like a rat chewed on them. But this usually varys a lot even within a manufacturer (for instance they may have had dull tools that day). I know Stag has a good reputation for putting out very clean looking lowers. Again, I'm not sure about Fulton. But I will say Fulton prob gets it's recievers from some subcontractor. Stag is the brandname for CMT (Continental Machine and Tool) and they do make their own lowers.

Gunner1
12-15-2005, 6:38 PM
I recently put together a couple rifles on Stag lowers while I was out of state fixing my neutered Vulcan lower. The Stags have a very nice finish with almost no visible machine marks. Personally I like the deer head, more politically correct. I hope I can get a deer rifle soon.......

Gunner

BigAL
12-15-2005, 6:42 PM
Personally I like the deer head, more politically correct. I hope I can get a deer rifle soon.......

Gunner

Yeah it's funny how people who don't like the deer logo go gaga over a prancing pony.

Benellishooter
12-16-2005, 3:34 PM
Deer head or prancing pony, who cares? Heck, if I could get a real AR-15 in California, you could slap a 8"x10" picture of Hillary Clinton for all I care...

Stanze
12-16-2005, 3:40 PM
Deer head or prancing pony, who cares? Heck, if I could get a real AR-15 in California, you could slap a 8"x10" picture of Hillary Clinton for all I care...

I see your point, but eww...:eek:

PanzerAce
12-16-2005, 3:51 PM
Yeah it's funny how people who don't like the deer logo go gaga over a prancing pony.

this is the only prancing animal I could ever go gaga over: http://www.supphoto.com/album-gallery/car_picture/pics/cheval-ferrari.jpg

bu-bye
12-16-2005, 4:14 PM
this is the only prancing animal I could ever go gaga over: http://www.supphoto.com/album-gallery/car_picture/pics/cheval-ferrari.jpg

Ah yes, Who doesn't like the Ford Pinto :D

icormba
12-17-2005, 3:01 PM
I prefer the BIG snake on mine... but since I can't get another one of those... I wouldn't mind a deer. Actually I hear people like the deer in free america better than the snake anyway... that's gotta say something?