PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Assembling a .223 Lower into an Assault Rifle

Rob Jones
12-15-2005, 5:45 PM
I've been following the various threads regarding the purchase of a .223 lower, waiting until CA DOJ delares the lower an Assault Riflle, then turning the lower into a real Assault Rifle (by adding the 'evil' features) during the 90 day registration period following DOJ's classification. One question keeps burning in my mind - doesn't CA Code prevent one from assembling an assault rifle? If so, wouldn't this be considered 'assembling' an assault rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rob Jones

Stanze
12-15-2005, 5:57 PM
I've been following the various threads regarding the purchase of a .223 lower, waiting until CA DOJ delares the lower an Assault Riflle, then turning the lower into a real Assault Rifle (by adding the 'evil' features) during the 90 day registration period following DOJ's classification. One question keeps burning in my mind - doesn't CA Code prevent one from assembling an assault rifle? If so, wouldn't this be considered 'assembling' an assault rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rob Jones

It's not an "Assault Rifle" until it's added to the list, as long as it's stripped or built to SB-23 compliance, you're not breaking the law. Once the receiver is registered as a "Assualt Weapon", then since it's a registered AW you can restore it to full featured functionality. That's what I gather, I'm not a lawyer.:D

TonyNorCal
12-15-2005, 6:23 PM
Yep, no lawyer here either...but if you're buying a lower then just do nothing to the receiver until it's banned, and you register it. Then you should be ok.

RRangel
12-15-2005, 6:38 PM
The receivers in question are not so called "assault weapons" in the state of California at this time.

If you were to attach illegal features like a pistol grip then it is not SB-23 compliant and it becomes an "assault weapon".

Once these receivers are named it doesn't matter what evil features are on it. The bare receivers will be considered assault weapons" whether they have any features or not.

It is being added to the ban list by make, model, and not feature. Therefore once it's banned and legally registered you may attach as many evil features as you want because it's still an "assault weapon" no matter what. There are no varying degrees. Please read the FAQ at the top.