PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary/desireable to bed the 700P?

DrjonesUSA
12-15-2005, 3:56 PM
Hi all.

I have a Remington 700P which I absolutely love.

Is it necessary and/or helpful to accuracy to bed the stock? I am under the impression that the extremely high-quality construction & aluminum pillars of the HS Precision stock negates the need to bed the stock.

Am I right? Or should I have it bedded?

Thanks

saki302
12-15-2005, 4:18 PM
I think it has more to do with how straight the receive ris in relation ot the stock bedding. I was told if you secure it with the front screw only, nd the rear of the receiver looks to be lying flat against the stock, bedding is probably not necessary. If you're having a ton of other work done though, it probably wouldn't hurt.

-Dave

capitol
12-15-2005, 7:40 PM
How does the rifle shoot? Is it consistant? Dont bed the rifle just to do it.

DrjonesUSA
12-16-2005, 12:17 PM
It shoots pretty well now, though I think it could be better.

Hard to tell if it is the gun or the nut pulling the trigger that needs improvement. ;) :D :D :D

BigAL
12-16-2005, 1:52 PM
Have you changed or done work on the trigger? I own a PSS and that's the first thing that needed to be changed. Way too heavy.

DrjonesUSA
12-16-2005, 1:53 PM
Have you changed or done work on the trigger? I own a PSS and that's the first thing that needed to be changed. Way too heavy.

The previous owner adjusted the trigger. It is nice, but has a touch of creep. I think I'd like it a little lighter too.

I'm debating whether to try adjusting it myself, or have a pro do it, so that at the same time he can see if it should be bedded & properly torque the action screws.

BigAL
12-16-2005, 1:56 PM
The previous owner adjusted the trigger. It is nice, but has a touch of creep. I think I'd like it a little lighter too.

I'm debating whether to try adjusting it myself, or have a pro do it, so that at the same time he can see if it should be bedded & properly torque the action screws.

I had the same results when I tried to mod the factory trigger. Prob would get an adjustable Jewel trigger and be done with it, but I don't even shoot the PSS anymore.

saki302
12-16-2005, 2:16 PM
Almost any factory remington trigger can be safely set for a 2# pull. It's pretty easy to do if you know what you're doing. If you're by L.A., I could do it for you.

-Dave

DrjonesUSA
12-16-2005, 2:16 PM
Almost any factory remington trigger can be safely set for a 2# pull. It's pretty easy to do if you know what you're doing. If you're by L.A., I could do it for you.

-Dave

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I'm in NorCal. :(