PDA

View Full Version : RRA/Vulcan build w/pics

SpeedTribe
12-15-2005, 2:58 PM
Well, Here are a few pics of my new Vulcan/RRA build since folks seem to have a lot of questions about them. Can we get a Vulcan sticky on the board?
Anyway this is my project:

RRA 20" SS upper w/aluminum freefloat tube
RRA Lower Parts Kit
JP reduced power trigger spring kit
DPMS target grip
Magpul Winter Trigger Guard
Magpull PRS stock
SuperSniper scope in an Armalite mount
YHM Front and rear (not shown) flip-up sights
Bushmaster 10-rd mag with Magpul(it DOES serve a purpose as you will see in the photos)

Here is the complete rifle
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/SPEEDTRIBE/RRA_Vulcan_PRS_case.jpg

Here is a pic of the lower
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/SPEEDTRIBE/Lft_Vulcan2.jpg

Here is how I modified the Bushmaster 10rd to accept the pin. I only cut through the first layer of metal with a file. That little line you see across the middle of the gap is where the passes and fits in the cutout. The pin applies pressure to the mag to keep it stable and also doesn't allow it to come out. ALWAYS PIN YOUR MAGS AFTER DOING THIS. The stock magazine actually looks like a Bushmaster M17S magazine. I will have to look at the Bushmaster to compare.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/SPEEDTRIBE/BushMag2.jpg

You may ask,"Why put the Magpul on the Mag if you can't pull it out?" As you can see in the picture below the upper hits the mag when you open it all the way. So the Magpul is actually acting as a bit of a bumper.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/SPEEDTRIBE/Mag_Touch.jpg

I hope this post helps some of you deciding on building one. This was my first build and I think it was pretty easy.
My other lower is just waiting for my VM-Hytech with Bushmaster 16" Fluted HBar and YHM lighweight rail. Pics soon..
I will find out how this one shoots this week.

glock_this
12-15-2005, 3:08 PM
Thats it!! that is what I want to build, but with a 16" barrel, houge grip, and EOTech site. That rifle is tight! love it! Even like that mag pull idea to protect the barel. killer idea and makes it look complete!

if I can find an FFL in san diego, I am going to do this. I might be sending you PM's or emails for more details, but I dig what you did.

BTW, when did you get the Vulcan lower AND was yours epoxyed in like others I read? If so, how did you brake away the epoxyed in mag?

Gunner1
12-15-2005, 5:03 PM
Sppedtribe,

Very nice build, alot of people here will benefit from the nice pics. I have four of the vulcan lowers and am in the process of ordering parts for their build, May just build one like yours.
How do you like the Super Sniper scope? I have one of the older versions and the optics are not the greatest(compared to my Leupold M4 and I.O.R. hunting scope) Just wondering if the new SWFA spec models are any better?

Gunner

DrjonesUSA
12-15-2005, 5:04 PM
Nice man. And thanks for the email earlier. :)

How do you like your Super Sniper?

I have the 16x on my 700P and really like it a lot.

Pablo
12-15-2005, 8:11 PM
That looks pretty sweet!!! Congratulations SpeedTribe.
I have one question for you, what is the advantage of using the "JP reduced power trigger spring kit"?
Did you have any problems installing the hammer? I was telling "glock_this" that my lower was out of spec and I have to use the Dremel to fix my receiver...

glock_this
12-16-2005, 6:05 AM
+1, what Pablo said...

Jon
12-17-2005, 2:07 PM
Very nice.

Let us know how the other buid goes.

glock_this
12-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Speedtribe, do you find much need for that recoil pad now that you have taken it out and fired it?

do you find it hard to push the pin (take down pin?) to release the lower from upper to swing it open and load it? I have read that it can be kind of a bi*** on the fingers. is there an aftermarket piece made with a larger finger profile to depress easier/faster?

maxicon
12-18-2005, 10:36 AM
And a question on the YHM front sight: Did it fit OK on your front rail/gas block?

I have a similar front gas block on my upper, and the slots aren't Picatinny spec (too narrow). My YHM front sight won't fit in the cross-slots, though it fits fine on my other rails.

The guy I bought it from had an RRA upper like yours, and sold me the sight because it didn't fit his either.

max

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Speedtribe, do you find much need for that recoil pad now that you have taken it out and fired it?

do you find it hard to push the pin (take down pin?) to release the lower from upper to swing it open and load it? I have read that it can be kind of a bi*** on the fingers. is there an aftermarket piece made with a larger finger profile to depress easier/faster?

I saw someone's gun, I think El Rojo, who put a pin with a large ring through it in order to make it easier to pull out.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Charliegone
12-18-2005, 1:43 PM
I must say, very nice my friend!:D

glock_this
12-18-2005, 3:30 PM
I saw someone's gun, I think El Rojo, who put a pin with a large ring through it in order to make it easier to pull out.

Seems like a good idea to me.

wait, so you PULL not PUSH a pin to swing it open to reload?

fal_762x51
12-18-2005, 3:34 PM
http://www.fabten.com/online_catalog.htm

Take down pin, middle of page.

glock_this
12-18-2005, 5:19 PM
http://www.fabten.com/online_catalog.htm

Take down pin, middle of page.

and this is what you pull (a take down pin) to swivel the top open and load a CA legal? or am I mixing up terms?

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 5:20 PM
and this is what you pull (a take down pin) to swivel the top open and load a CA legal? or am I mixing up terms?

yes that is correct.

glock_this
12-18-2005, 5:23 PM
yes that is correct.
thanks. when you get a general lower parts kit - what do you generally get? some basic pin with no ring so you need to grow fingers nails to pull that bad boy out? ouch!

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 5:25 PM
thanks. when you get a general lower parts kit - what do you generally get? some basic pin with no ring so you need to grow fingers nails to pull that bad boy out? ouch!

Typically the only time you remove that pin is for cleaning or to change uppers.

I think it slides out pretty easily with some sort of a punch, tip of a round, firing pin, etc.

Remember, when you think of "pulling it out," one could just as easily PUSH it out from the other side. ;)

glock_this
12-18-2005, 5:31 PM
Typically the only time you remove that pin is for cleaning or to change uppers.

I think it slides out pretty easily with some sort of a punch, tip of a round, firing pin, etc.

Remember, when you think of "pulling it out," one could just as easily PUSH it out from the other side. ;)

well, what is not making sense to me is that you say "the only time you remove that pin is for cleaning or to change uppers" - but on these CA legal AR15 builds, you load from the top the 10 rounds. so, somehow you push, press, remove, bite some pin or quick release to swivel the top open 90degrees and load it. so, for a CA legal lower, "the only time" is actually "every time" you want to load which could be dozens of times a session. so, I would think have a pin to pull out with a loop would be way easier to pull, and not loose, everytime you want to load. again, this is assuming we are both talking about the same pin that gives you access to the top of the receiver to load up.

DrjonesUSA
12-18-2005, 5:32 PM
well, what is not making sense to me is that you say "the only time you remove that pin is for cleaning or to change uppers" - but on these CA legal AR15 builds, you load from the top the 10 rounds. so, somehow you push, press, remove, bite some pin or quick release to swivel the top open 90degrees and load it. so, for a CA legal lower, "the only time" is actually "every time" you want to load which could be dozens of times a session. so, I would think have a pin to pull out with a loop would be way easier to pull, and not loose, everytime you want to load. again, this is assuming we are both talking about the same pin that gives you access to the top of the receiver to load up.

When I said "typically," I meant "with standard AR recievers."

glock_this
12-18-2005, 5:36 PM
When I said "typically," I meant "with standard AR recievers."

ahhh - that splains it

so then, I just read Bushmaster and they say "loaded by pushing in the Receiver Takedown Pin and pivoting open the Receivers" so is this pin diferent than a "take down pin"?

I think I found another after market model (like the Fab-10 but much cheaper and looks as easy to grab) here: http://www.watsonsweapons.com/50boss.htm about 1/2 way down.