PDA

View Full Version : ...Who knows about Browning Hi-Powers...

.40Cal
01-06-2010, 8:03 AM
Im considering a B-HP and found one at a local shop. But it's in a .40 cal. Traditionally BHP's come in 9mm. So their structure/slim design is made for 9mm's. I wonder how it would hold in .40cal.

Also, I'd prefer a 9mm due to cheaper ammo...meaning more practice/trips to the range.

What do you guys think..

nn3453
01-06-2010, 8:07 AM
You mentioned elsewhere that this will be your first handgun.

For a first gun, stick to a 9mm. Handgun shooting is all about practice and muscle memory. The more you shoot and train smart, the better you get.

I'd also stay away from the Hipower as your first gun. They are beautiful collector guns and a masterpiece in design, but as a first gun I'd buy a $500-700 Glock, CZ, Sig or similar and spend on ammo.

My 2c.

HCz
01-06-2010, 8:22 AM
You mentioned elsewhere that this will be your first handgun.

For a first gun, stick to a 9mm. Handgun shooting is all about practice and muscle memory. The more you shoot and train smart, the better you get.

I'd also stay away from the Hipower as your first gun. They are beautiful collector guns and a masterpiece in design, but as a first gun I'd buy a $500-700 Glock, CZ, Sig or similar and spend on ammo.

My 2c.

+1 on this.

-hanko
01-06-2010, 8:22 AM
Im considering a B-HP and found one at a local shop. But it's in a .40 cal. Traditionally BHP's come in 9mm. So their structure/slim design is made for 9mm's. I wonder how it would hold in .40cal.

Also, I'd prefer a 9mm due to cheaper ammo...meaning more practice/trips to the range.

What do you guys think..
A few thoughts...

Spend some time here...http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/...it's the arfcom of Hi-Powers.

FN used a heavier slide to compensate for the increased recoil of the .40 cartridge. It affects the balance of the gun, imo detrimentally. I'd stick with 9mm.

As to I'd also stay away from the Hipower as your first gun. They are beautiful collector guns and a masterpiece in design, but as a first gun I'd buy a $500-700 Glock, CZ, Sig or similar and spend on ammo."...No idea as to why to stay away from a HP as a first pistol. No pistol seems to fit the hand as well as a HP for many people, but obviously hand-fit is an individual choice. The CZ is similar fit-wise. Perhaps it's just fanboy stuff:rolleyes:.

Jeff Cooper noted the HP and CZ are, arguably, two of the best combat pistols ever made...both (again, imo) surpass any striker type 9mm out there. Otoh, if you need to fire under water, the glock may be a possibility also.

You'll get a few other opinions:D

-hanko

BHPFan
01-06-2010, 9:06 AM

My 2c.

I disagree with you as you must be thinking of the pre-80's High Power.

My first pistol was a Browning High Power Mark III made around '89 - '90.

The BHP's made after '89 (Mk III's) uses CNC Technology. Those made after '93 are made with investment cast frames due for both 9mm and .40 S&W as they both have the same frame (except for the ejector).

The Mark III models have different metallurgy and different manufacturing methods in comparison to the older High Powers (T-series, C-series, Mk I or whatever).

The main difference in the .40 BHP pistols with the 9mm is the slide:
1) the .40 slide is thicker and a little heavier (2oz)
2) the .40 slide as a cutout on the side for the slide release due to being thicker.
3) the .40 barrel has 3 lugs vs 2 for the 9mm
4) Heavier recoil spring on the .40 BHP (20 -22 lbs) than in the 9mm (16 -18 lbs)

So, if you wanna shoot 9mm in a .40 BHP, you have two options:
1) get a conversion barrel from .40 to 9mm along with 9mm mags and recoil spring. (the more affordable option)
2) Get a new 9mm slide setup and widen the channel so the Ejector can fit. (the more expensive option)

Now, a new BHP can run above $800. So, you can find a used one in the $600 to $700 range.

my 2 cents.

Katana
01-06-2010, 9:35 AM
...I wonder how it would hold in .40cal.
Rest assured, the BHP 40 is one of the most durable 40s made.

As long as you feel comfortable with the 1911 cocked and locked operating system, I don't think you'd be disappointed with a BHP in 40 S&W.

Although the .40 does not make a significantly larger hole than 9mm, I believe the heavier bullet is an advantage.

Oldnoob
01-06-2010, 9:50 AM
As -hanko mentioned. BHP when through some major changes for 40.

When FN decide to make a 40 cal, they reinforced the frame (than use the new frame for 9mm as well), 3 ring barrel lugs, beef up the slide for 40, stronger recoil spring, redesign the slide stop/release...etc.

Go to http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com and learn what HP experts has to say about it.

Rekrab
01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
The .40 caliber is a punishing round to be certain, but I don't think I'd discourage anyone from owning one if that's what they want. Just make sure you shoot something in .40 before buying one, the snappy recoil can be unpleasant.

My first handgun was in .40 and I love it.

Sorry, not really commenting on the BHP, but that's because I don't have one >.>

BHPFan
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
The .40 caliber is a punishing round to be certain, but I don't think I'd discourage anyone from owning one if that's what they want. Just make sure you shoot something in .40 before buying one, the snappy recoil can be unpleasant.

My first handgun was in .40 and I love it.

Sorry, not really commenting on the BHP, but that's because I don't have one >.>

It is in the .40 caliber that you can feel its snappiness.

Punishing, that depends on the pistol.

The only .40S&W pistols that I've shot are the .40 BHP and all the .40 Glocks. In my experience, the ones that have more flip and were more punishing were the compact G23 and subcompact G27.

In comparison to the compact/subcompact .40 Glocks, the .40 BHP and the larger .40 Glocks were less punishing. The snappiness is still there, but the recoil was not as punishing.

gearhead15
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I have my FN Hi-Power in .40 for sale on gunbroker now. I love how it grips and points, I think the ergonomics are perfect but I dislike the stiff slide spring. I'm getting a little arthritic in my fingers now and it's difficult for me to cycle the slide.

spencerhut
01-06-2010, 1:20 PM

What do you guys think..

First off, any gun you want is the right one. Opinions are like . . . you know.

I have a MkIII .40S&W BHP and loved it. I converted it to 9mm with a Bar-Sto barrel. Then I loved it even more. This conversion was the plan from the day I purchased the .40S&W. I should not have done this, it was a mistake. For the cost I could have almost purchased another gun. The idea of a 3-lug 9mm sounds great if you want a serious indestructible beast. I have serious doubts now it was necessary. Money I will never get back.
I recently acquired a "C" series 1973 9mm BHP. The "C" is a better pointer for me and has a far better trigger. Triggers are a gun by gun thing so make sure you dry fire the gun you are looking at and are happy with the trigger or be prepared to have a trigger job done on it.

9mm is less expensive, but not enough to really matter, not for me at least.

I've found it's far easier and less expensive to buy exactly what I want rather than getting something close and modifying. The .40S&W taught me that lesson so I thought I would pass it along.

Fantasma
01-06-2010, 1:40 PM
CZ 75B SA- since you liked the BHP...9mm of course since its your first gun. Don't let people make you believe 9mm is not a perfect first gun. Don't be swayed into getting a .40 because it is much more "powerful" remember you are trying to learn, later there will be time for other guns.

.40Cal
01-06-2010, 2:10 PM
Thanks for your advice and comments guys...

This is going be my first handgun... and I'm considering 9mm (due to cheap ammo/less recoil, and fun factor) > This way I would enjoy shooting & get practice also.

For Home/Self defense purpose, as some of you have mentioned... 9mm would be plenty. After all, I don't plan to go into war with it.

.... keep your comments coming.... It's still a learning curve for me. And Thanks!

Katana
01-06-2010, 2:44 PM
... 9mm would be plenty. After all, I don't plan to go into war with it.
Actually, there's plenty of people who go to war with a 9mm. ;)

-hanko
01-07-2010, 3:56 PM
Actually, there's plenty of people who go to war with a 9mm. ;)
The British SAS and the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team, to mention just two.:D

-hanko

E. Fudd
01-07-2010, 5:25 PM
Another thing to consider is that in some hands (like mine) hammer bite is an issue. Whether it's the spur or commander type hammer, I always seem to get bite in the web. You probably want to rent one or shoot a loaner first to make sure before plunking down the money.

For a first semi I'd go with a Glock 19 or 17.

I have a HP .40 and aside from hammer bite, I find the factory trigger on the heavy side. Function-wise, no problems.

Would also recommend going with a 9mm for the first one.

Elmer

gwl
01-07-2010, 5:26 PM
and don't forget the 9mm BHP was used on both sides during World War II.

E. Fudd
01-07-2010, 5:28 PM
The British SAS and the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team, to mention just two.:D

-hanko

I believe HRT is using custom 1911 .45 variants these days...

BunnySlayer
01-07-2010, 6:02 PM
First off, any gun you want is the right one. Opinions are like . . . you know.
That pretty much cuts through what came out of the north end of the south-bound bull right there. Almost all of the major brands make quality guns. Just make sure it's what you want and it's something you will shoot a lot.

larryratcliff
01-07-2010, 6:17 PM
I learned to shoot a pistol with a BHP in 9mm. It was a great pistol. It belonged to my dad and it was one of the early Belgium Browning s. It fit my hand really well and was super accurate. Very nice fit and finish. The first pistol I purchased was a FEG that was a BHP clone. It was ok. Not nearly as nice as the BHP. (it was ~25% of the price that's why I bought the FEG over the Browning).

I don't presently own one but I would not mind a 9mm or .40 version. I already have a Beretta 92 so I would probably lean towards the .40...

I agree with what a few others have said... What ever gun you really like is the one you should buy. If you want to try out a few other pistols come to the chabot range day on January 30. I will let you put a few rounds through my 92 and my 1911... I am sure others would not mind either.

-hanko
01-07-2010, 8:19 PM
I believe HRT is using custom 1911 .45 variants these days...
Correct, bhp's were used in the past.

-hanko