PDA

View Full Version : coming to california

ohsocountry1
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone new to the site and was wondering im coming from clackamas oregon to disneyland on a road trip and would love to carry i know i cant concealed carry but can i open carry? Also if not what is the laws for a weapon in the car can i keep it in glove box with no mag in it ? any help would be awesome thanks all

Bill Carson
01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Gun in a locked box other than the glove box and ammo in a different locked box I believe, I might be wrong on the ammo part. You can UOC but not at the House of the Mouse.

wildhawker
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Keep your unloaded firearms secured in a locked container (not the glove or utility compartment) and make sure to leave high-caps and assault weapons at home.

ohsocountry1
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
no i wasnt going to in disneyland hahah so california is a open carry state?

G17GUY
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
NO glove box. Open carrying in california is a good way to ruin part of your vacation due to the amount of time the police are going to spend dealing with you.

wildhawker
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Gun in a locked box other than the glove box and ammo in a different locked box I believe, I might be wrong on the ammo part. You can UOC but not at the House of the Mouse.

Ammo can be placed in the same locked container. *Please* do not Unloaded Open Carry - this can land you in serious and expensive trouble.

wildhawker
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM

No, OC is not allowed except in very limited circumstances.

G17GUY
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM

UOC! If you don't mind getting arrested and clearing it up in court due to an officer that is unclear on the law.

gravedigger
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
If you leave the United States and visit California, you'd better learn the laws before you bring a gun here. At the moment, it is very risky to OC here. you see, we have this INSANE law that says you can't OC within 1,000 feet of a school zone, only, there is no CLEAR way to determine where these zones are. It would be best for you to NOT OC or CC in this state right now, since it is clear from your post that you would be fodder for the anti-gun nazis who make up the rules as they go along.

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Not in the manner normally accepted by people from free states.

The above poster indicated UOC... Unloaded Open Carry.
You may also not conceal the loaded magazines (they can be carried open when filled, but the gun must be unloaded)

Having said that, be prepared to be hassled by the cops if you do carry. It is not common. Many UOC activists carry, but few others do.
Also, PC 626.9 causes problems when you are within 1000ft of a school without the gun being in a locked container.

The good news... the ammo does NOT have to be in a separate locked container. It simply must not be in a position from which it can be fired.

My recommendation?
Bring it (maximum magazine capacity 10rds), carry while within your temporary residence, but keep in in a locked case (briefcase is fine) while outside of your hotel room.

gravedigger
01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Ammo can be placed in the same locked container.

HUH?!? I understand the law to say that the gun is in ONE locked container, and the ammo is in ANOTHER locked container, although the locked AMMO container can be IN the locked GUN container. You cannot unlock ONE container and access both the gun and the ammo. That is not legal! Ah heck! This cesspool of Liberalism is so screwed up!

ohsocountry1
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Not in the manner normally accepted by people from free states.

The above poster indicated UOC... Unloaded Open Carry.
You may also not conceal the loaded magazines (they can be carried open when filled, but the gun must be unloaded)

Having said that, be prepared to be hassled by the cops if you do carry. It is not common. Many UOC activists carry, but few others do.
Also, PC 626.9 causes problems when you are within 1000ft of a school without the gun being in a locked container.

The good news... the ammo does NOT have to be in a separate locked container. It simply must not be in a position from which it can be fired.

My recommendation?
Bring it (maximum magazine capacity 10rds), carry while within your temporary residence, but keep in in a locked case (briefcase is fine) while outside of your hotel room.

Is there anywere i can view this info and print it just incase i am hassled?

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
HUH?!? I understand the law to say that the gun is in ONE locked container, and the ammo is in ANOTHER locked container, although the locked AMMO container can be IN the locked GUN container. You cannot unlock ONE container and access both the gun and the ammo. That is not legal! Ah heck! This cesspool of Liberalism is so screwed up!
Nope...
I don't know if it's an old law that was changed in the 70s, or if it's always been FUD, but it is FUD.
People always used to say "the gun has to be locked in the trunk and the ammo has to be separated"... but there is no requirement for that.

There is no requirement for the ammo to be in a locked container under any conditions (there are places where it is illegal to take ammo, even without a gun, such as on school grounds).

The only "locked container" requirements are within a rights-free school zone, or when transporting concealed.
The gun is legally "unloaded" when the ammo is not in a position from which it can be fired (which includes the magwell).

wildhawker
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM

I'll ask again that you consider not UOCing in CA; we've had multiple arrests in the past few weeks and one Calgunner was recently convicted (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=142379&highlight=theseus) for carrying in a school zone (unknowingly) while on private property (at a laundromat).

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 11:06 PM
As I and others said, please don't.
We currently have a forum member who has been convicted under 626.9 while he was carrying on private property... and private property is specifically exempted from the GFSZ. It was a political prosecution and it will not stop. He is now a prohibited person and, unless his conviction is overturned on appeal, will not be able to own guns for the next 10 years.

Lone_Gunman
01-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I will echo what has been said and try to sum it up.

Traditional loaded open carry is ILLEGAL in CA
Unloaded open carry or UOC is LEGAL as long as you are not within 1000 ft of school property.
We are currently in and on the verge of some legal battles that could have very positive 2A results for CA and for that reason it is currently NOT ADVISABLE TO UNLOADED OPEN CARRY IN CA.

The best way for you to bring your firearm into CA would be to transport it unloaded in a locked container other than your glove box or utility compartment. The loaded mags can be kept in the same container but not inserted into the firearm. Make sure you only bring mags with a 10 round or less capacity any more is against the law and could result in a felony.

Take your unloaded pistol in the locked container to your room (temporary residence) where you can unlock and then load.

While driving you can have the locked container within arms reach with all but the last number turned on the combo. If there is a LA riots type situation you should be good to go.

And last but not least... tell our story to those in America so that they will not forget their brethren that battle on here in the Peoples Republic of California.

-LG

Window_Seat
01-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Likewise on saying "PLEASE DO NOT OPEN CARRY". There are current lawsuits pending, and current Federal cases pending on 2A Rights, but for now, CA is a state that DOES NOT recognize RTKBA, and an officer who is not clear on the law can ruin your life on demand instantly by placing you in HC and taking you downtown, and having everyone of your rights disintegrated in seconds flat.

Erik.

JeffM
01-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Disney World.

Librarian
01-06-2010, 7:10 AM
Nope...
I don't know if it's an old law that was changed in the 70s, or if it's always been FUD, but it is FUD.
People always used to say "the gun has to be locked in the trunk and the ammo has to be separated"... but there is no requirement for that.

There is no requirement for the ammo to be in a locked container under any conditions (there are places where it is illegal to take ammo, even without a gun, such as on school grounds).

The only "locked container" requirements are within a rights-free school zone, or when transporting concealed.
The gun is legally "unloaded" when the ammo is not in a position from which it can be fired (which includes the magwell).

So far as I can tell, the locked-ammo has always been an error.

The issue, of course, is 12031 'loaded'. Gravedigger, see also
the wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California).

Glock22Fan
01-06-2010, 7:46 AM
This (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=255863)is what happens when four people UOC'd in California last weekend. The day before, another carrier was arrested at the same place and imprisoned until he posted bail.

There are three sorts of UOC'ers here. Ones that know the law, know what's likely to happen, have ten thousand bucks ready for legal expenses, carry a voice and/or video recorder and deliberately go out to "wave the flag." Then there are ones that know all that and realize that - with the upcoming legal trials etc. -- it would be better to leave the gun at home and wait to see what McDonald v. Chicago brings. The third sort, are those that don't know and/or don't care what is going on and go out UOC'ing and getting arrested and getting bad publicity for the rest of us.

Be sensible, please DON'T open carry (loaded or otherwise) in California. It will probably ruin your day and hurts the rest of us.

Roadrunner
01-06-2010, 9:51 AM
To address your question:

1. Put your UNLOADED gun in the trunk with the rest of your luggage before entering California. If your gun is a semiauto, you can simply remove the loaded magazine from the gun and store it in a container with the gun. If it's a revolver, use speed loaders, and store the ammo that way in the same case.

2. Once you get to your hotel, unload all of your baggage and put the do not disturb sign on your door. Leave it there unless you want room service, and stay in the room while the housekeeper changes your bedding.

3. Load your gun in your hotel room and put it in a place that is easily reachable, but not obvious to anyone.

4. Enjoy your day at Disneyland. Other than thieves robbing the parking attendants three years ago, I have not heard of any other problems.

This is typically what I do when my wife and I go down there. So far, it's worked well.

Timberwolf
01-06-2010, 9:57 AM
Easiest thing to do is just check your weapns at the brrder when entering the PRK and then pick them up on your way out.

MudCamper
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf