PDA

View Full Version : CHP officer arrested for AR15 in Sacramento

sac550
01-05-2010, 9:09 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/crime/archives/2010/01/chp-trooper-fro.html

hoffmang
01-05-2010, 9:19 PM
"his taxable income was over $564,000."

Uhh... I knew we were over compensating state workers but!?!?

-Gene

odysseus
01-05-2010, 9:22 PM

-Gene

You have GOT to me kidding me. Hopefully this was from some other personal business or investment income and not taxpayers.

TB agents executed a search warrant on Jong's home in November and found him in possession of an AR-15 assault rifle, Barrett said.

Yeah, but they didn't say it was illegal. A lot of people have ar-15 "assault rifles" the SacBee would report, but were legally registered.

sac550
01-05-2010, 9:24 PM
The chief for CHP doesn't make that much, so it must be from something else or his wife's income?

sp_train_77
01-05-2010, 9:31 PM

Ummmm...uhhhhh...lots of overtime???:rolleyes:

Cato
01-05-2010, 9:33 PM
I bet he was holding on to relatives' cash. It's not uncommon for Asian families to have one member hold on to the extended family's savings so that they can continue to recieve gov't benefits or evade taxes. Sometimes you'll even see the capital converted into gold. They probably picked him since they thought he had some immuinty since he is a LEO.

sac550
01-05-2010, 9:40 PM
Looking at the public court website in Sac it looks like the DA charged one count of felony 12280(b).

Steyr_223
01-05-2010, 9:44 PM
I wonder if the AR15 was a legally configured OLL? Or an illegally configured OLL? OR was it a ban by name AR?

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 9:52 PM
I thought CHP officers were issued AR15s?

G17GUY
01-05-2010, 9:53 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/statepayresults/index.html?appSession=531126781883866&RecordID=133626&PageID=3&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=&CPIorderBy=

his base pay is only $75k

Merle
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
It wasn't $564,000 for ONE year, but for three years.

"FTB officials said Jong was allegedly depositing substantial amount of cash into his bank accounts that exceeded what he reported on his 2005-2007 state income tax returns.

Officials said his taxable income was over $564,000 but he only reported $282,000. He allegedly owes more than $26,400 in unpaid tax."

So $564,000 / 3 = $188,000 a year. The reported $282,000 / 3 = $94,000, with a 25% bonus for OT and the like, it's reasonable.

The other $282,000 is probably the proceeds of stock, home sales, wife's income, etc. Not purely his salary.

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
The other $282,000 is probably the proceeds of stock, home sales, wife's income, etc. Not purely his salary.
Money renting himself out for private security while off (or maybe on) duty?

tazmanian devil dog
01-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Innocent until proven guilty????????

G17GUY
01-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Innocent until proven guilty????????

Not in california!:TFH:

ke6guj
01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
oh, :dupe: :D
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256339

Markinsac
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Money renting himself out for private security while off (or maybe on) duty?

Even a peace officer has to have a security guard license to work private security off-duty. There is no BSIS listing for him.

Also, most security guard positions aren't going to pay enough to make that kind of money unless you work 24x7.

Cokebottle
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Even a peace officer has to have a security guard license to work private security off-duty. There is no BSIS listing for him.

Also, most security guard positions aren't going to pay enough to make that kind of money unless you work 24x7.
Not talking about "legal" work (hence my comment about "or maybe on duty").

If he's the slightest bit "dirty" (gang ties), he could be paid quite well under the table to provide security for an "officer".

wikidklown
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
LEO with possession of an assault weapon???? Either he forgot to register his on-list AR or did not want to spend $25 for a BB ;)

ke6guj
01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
LEO with possession of an assault weapon???? Either he forgot to register his on-list AR or did not want to spend $25 for a BB ;)

or, possibly, he thought the Brass Pass would protect him.

gbp
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Least anyone forget or not know the FTB can be and are ruthless

cdtx2001
01-06-2010, 12:48 AM
"Jong was booked into Sacramento County Main Jail and released on a $15,000 bail, officials said.

He is scheduled for an arraignment Wednesday in Sacramento County Superior Court on a weapons charge. FTB agents executed a search warrant on Jong's home in November and found him in possession of an AR-15 assault rifle, Barrett said."

So, I guess he wasn't arrested for tax evasion, just a weapons charge???

And so what if he had an AR15, who doesn't? Did whoever searched his house come upon and AR15 and say "Oooohhhh looook, an evil black rifle!" or something? Need more details.

johnthomas
01-06-2010, 1:38 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/crime/archives/2010/01/chp-trooper-fro.html

Title is misleading, he go arrested for tax evasion. Got charged for possesion of the gun.

gunsmith
01-06-2010, 2:52 AM
I'll bet this guy walks.
They tried to get me to pay taxes
because I had a security guard license!
never mind that I was living in another state and nowhere near CA!
The guy I talked to was from China and had no idea what I was referring to
when I said "innocent until proven guilty" he said "no, you have to prove you were not working in CA" ... my DL, and tax statements were not enough for this guy.
the ftb is full of recent immigrant losers that love stalin, mao and pol pot.
the good news they are also incompetent.
I hope and pray the chipper walks and wins a huge lawsuit.

B Strong
01-06-2010, 6:01 AM
The key phrase in the article was "large cash deposits."

His income consisted of other sources and his CHP wages.

Glock21sfsd
01-06-2010, 7:40 AM

-Gene

Well The state is not overcompensating all state workers because I work for the state and make less than 10% of that!!!!!!!!!!!

Cato
01-07-2010, 4:33 PM
Well The state is not overcompensating all state workers because I work for the state and make less than 10% of that!!!!!!!!!!!

It's curious that when the economy is bad, everyone complains about state workers' salaries.

When the economy is good, everyone makes fun of what state workers make.

SteveH
01-07-2010, 6:10 PM
Clearly he had a side business going.

SteveH
01-07-2010, 6:13 PM
Gambling income?

Rental properties?

Importing goods from China/Taiwan?

Or something as innocent as his family elders are afraid of banks and asked him to hold onto their savings.

bwiese
01-07-2010, 6:15 PM
It's curious that when the economy is bad, everyone complains about state workers' salaries.

When the economy is good, everyone makes fun of what state workers make.

No.

I have repeatedly said, regardless of economic times, that there are too many state salaries and benefits are too high.

During the mid-1900s, there was an implicit tradeoff for state employ: some job security and pension benefits for lower wages. Now state workers make far more than their competence would allow in the private sector, plus they have the rich inflation-adjusted pensions & health care.

SteveH
01-07-2010, 6:21 PM
No.

Now state workers make far more than their competence would allow in the private sector...

Thats the claim but i'm not sure its true. I have a friend who was a traffic cop making about 80K a year. He left to do independant accident reconstruction for the insurance companies and makes over twice that now. Bratton is going to make more in the private sector than he ever made as Chief. Hell I know a fired cop who got a 5 figure contract to be the head of security for a large big box chain store. if anything the real money is in the private sector.

bwiese
01-07-2010, 6:29 PM
Thats the claim but i'm not sure its true. I have a friend who was a traffic cop making about 80K a year. He left to do independant accident reconstruction for the insurance companies and makes over twice that now. Bratton is going to make more in the private sector than he ever made as Chief. Hell I know a fired cop who got a 5 figure contract to be the head of security for a large big box chain store. if anything the real money is in the private sector.

The jobs you mention are likely valuing the person less for his skills than for his "prior access" and LE connections. Or, they could just be the rare good ones meriting decent pay when they transition outward.

Also, many of the jobs that Big G folks transition out to are gov't related jobs. They would not exist in the private sector if there was only limtied public sector (i.e, a properly running freemarket economy).

A friend was employee of the year ~20 yrs ago for CARB (Automotive emissions div). He was showing up to work blind drunk and still was outproducing everyone else - in fact after he got the award he was arrested for his 3rd DUI in LA after a 20 mile blown tire/sparking rims LAPD chase down Sepulveda Blvd. He's cleaned up now, but still laughs about how stupid gov't employees are (and he can - he's extremely bright).

AlexDD
01-07-2010, 7:34 PM
The previous postings have gone off topic of the title of the thread. Just to add, yes there are many pension/salaries that went up, 3%50 formula could be considered an example. The state could privatize or "contract" out services for lower labor rates.

But in smaller local agencies, you will often see the opposite. There are many dedicated employees who are often working under-resourced. Much of the work has already been contracted out.

Also, if there weren't so many laws, regulations, etc... demanded by or accepted by the public, you wouldn't need so many public servants to implement.

N6ATF
01-10-2010, 1:15 AM
No.

I have repeatedly said, regardless of economic times, that there are too many state salaries and benefits are too high.

Another not "everyone" here.

tyrist
01-10-2010, 1:24 PM
The jobs you mention are likely valuing the person less for his skills than for his "prior access" and LE connections. Or, they could just be the rare good ones meriting decent pay when they transition outward.

Also, many of the jobs that Big G folks transition out to are gov't related jobs. They would not exist in the private sector if there was only limtied public sector (i.e, a properly running freemarket economy).

A friend was employee of the year ~20 yrs ago for CARB (Automotive emissions div). He was showing up to work blind drunk and still was outproducing everyone else - in fact after he got the award he was arrested for his 3rd DUI in LA after a 20 mile blown tire/sparking rims LAPD chase down Sepulveda Blvd. He's cleaned up now, but still laughs about how stupid gov't employees are (and he can - he's extremely bright).

They are paying so much because of the knowledge and experience of the person. It's the same with most high skilled government jobs. The amount of knowledge and training the government gives their employees is extremely expensive. Think of how much training some of our soldiers gets...a million dollars can be invested in them yet they make almost nothing. Now if they leave and get a job with a private security contractor they are getting paid 10X what they were. Some pay too much...some pay to little. It tends to be jobs that require a high amount of skill and training pay too little and the low skilled ones paying too much because they want to give them a "living" wage.

BigDogatPlay
01-10-2010, 3:37 PM
No.

During the mid-1900s, there was an implicit tradeoff for state employ: some job security and pension benefits for lower wages. Now state workers make far more than their competence would allow in the private sector, plus they have the rich inflation-adjusted pensions & health care.

Agreed... and no less an authority thanWillie Brown (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/03/BA2V1BBGHH.DTL) thinks so too.

If we as a state want to make a New Year's resolution, I suggest taking a good look at the California we have created. From our out-of-sync tax system to our out-of-control civil service, it's time for politicians to begin an honest dialogue about what we've become.

Take the civil service.

The system was set up so politicians like me couldn't come in and fire the people (relatives) hired by the guy they beat and replace them with their own friends and relatives.

Over the years, however, the civil service system has changed from one that protects jobs to one that runs the show.

The deal used to be that civil servants were paid less than private sector workers in exchange for an understanding that they had job security for life.

But we politicians, pushed by our friends in labor, gradually expanded pay and benefits to private-sector levels while keeping the job protections and layering on incredibly generous retirement packages that pay ex-workers almost as much as current workers.

Talking about this is politically unpopular and potentially even career suicide for most officeholders. But at some point, someone is going to have to get honest about the fact that 80 percent of the state, county and city budget deficits are due to employee costs.

Either we do something about it at the ballot box, or a judge will do something about in Bankruptcy Court. And if you think I'm kidding, just look at Vallejo.

Off topic, maybe a little. But still germane to the larger discussion of where does a "humble civil servant" bank $500K plus over a three year period? If he underreported on his own salary, he was just plain dumb. If he had business interests outside of work, presuming they were legal, and didn't report that, that is nearly as dumb.

28 years down the crapper as he's almost certain to get fired if he gets convicted of the tax fraud. And he will absolutely get fired if convicted of the weapons charge.

SteveH
01-10-2010, 3:58 PM
They are paying so much because of the knowledge and experience of the person. It's the same with most high skilled government jobs. The amount of knowledge and training the government gives their employees is extremely expensive. Think of how much training some of our soldiers gets...a million dollars can be invested in them yet they make almost nothing. Now if they leave and get a job with a private security contractor they are getting paid 10X what they were. Some pay too much...some pay to little. It tends to be jobs that require a high amount of skill and training pay too little and the low skilled ones paying too much because they want to give them a "living" wage.

Nailed it. Yes the public school janitors and other unskilled labor make too much.

nn3453
01-10-2010, 4:18 PM
The quasi communist People's Republic of California has done away with laissez faire a long time ago.

It is ridiculous that one of the duties of a CHP officer post budget crisis is to be a tax collection agent by fining people willy nilly, hiding on every other freeway offramp because it keeps us all safe. As though business taxes, county permits and taxes, personal income tax, sales tax weren't enough to disincentivise businesses. But state employees have to be paid somehow and keep getting retirement, health care and benefits. The state has informally mandated that the standard of living for a K-12 idiot with an associates or diploma or a bottle of the pile college grad in the government sector who otherwise wouldn't find a job and a capable college or graduate school graduate who has to compete in the (justly) unforgiving private sector should be about the same to attract people to public jobs. Wonder how long this bloated state is going to last without going into major and bottomless recession.

But I'm getting off topic.

navyinrwanda
01-10-2010, 5:33 PM
This is a joke, right?

Eastbayguy
01-10-2010, 9:05 PM
Look at Bart Employees, no wonder they were going on strike!

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_12682351?source=most_viewed

RRangel
01-10-2010, 9:09 PM
Look at Bart Employees, no wonder they were going on strike!

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_12682351?source=most_viewed

LOL. Some Lieutenant under the Chief of police is making more than him.

Maestro Pistolero
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
WOW, JUST WOW. We have NO idea where the money came from. There may a perfectly innocent reason for the deposits, or he may be guilty as sin. The jumping to conclusions here is amazing. AND, he got arrested for a gun that anyone not disqualified from ownership here in Nevada and much of the rest of the country, can walk out of the store with in under an hour. I, for one, am withholding judgment until there are facts. I hope he's innocent.

Solidmch
01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
WOW, JUST WOW. We have NO idea where the money came from. There may a perfectly innocent reason for the deposits, or he may be guilty as sin. The jumping to conclusions here is amazing. AND, he got arrested for a gun that anyone not disqualified from ownership here in Nevada and much of the rest of the country, can walk out of the store with in under an hour. I, for one, am withholding judgment until there are facts. I hope he's innoccent.

me too!

CnCFunFactory
01-10-2010, 11:59 PM

^^^^ this....

gunsmith
03-21-2010, 2:20 AM
so, any news? or was this officer thrown nder the bs? sorry, missing that key between y & i

CSDGuy
03-21-2010, 8:36 AM
He's still charged with PC 12280 (b) and 3 counts of RT 19705(A).... all 3 are Felonies.

Glock-matic
03-21-2010, 9:35 AM
Perhaps he was receiving cash for a loan repayment, as long as their was no interest paid, there is no tax liability. As for the AR, if they bust us plebs, they should bust the cops too. Why the state of California keeps trying to recreate the caste system is beyond me.

REH
03-21-2010, 9:37 AM
What is RT 19705(A)?

Ca Patriot
03-21-2010, 9:39 AM
Some people dont know that the IRS and Tax Board can look at your bank account information without a subpeona or any probable cause. The tax police are the most powerful people in America and they have NO restrictions on search and seizure and under the law YOU are guilty until proven innocent in their courts.

JDay
03-21-2010, 9:55 AM
What is RT 19705(A)?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=rtc&group=19001-20000&file=19701-19721

19705. (a) Any person who does any of the following shall be guilty
of a felony and, upon conviction, shall be fined not more than fifty
thousand dollars ($50,000) or imprisoned in the state prison, or
both, together with the costs of investigation and prosecution:
(1) Willfully makes and subscribes any return, statement, or other
document, that contains or is verified by a written declaration that
it is made under penalty of perjury, and he or she does not believe
to be true and correct as to every material matter.
(2) Willfully aids or assists in, or procures, counsels, or
advises the preparation or presentation under, or in connection with
any matter arising under, the Personal Income Tax Law or the
Corporation Tax Law, of a return, affidavit, claim, or other
document, that is fraudulent or is false as to any material matter,
whether or not that falsity or fraud is with the knowledge or consent
of the person authorized or required to present that return,
affidavit, claim, or document.
(3) Simulates or falsely or fraudulently executes or signs any
bond, permit, entry, or other document required by the provisions of
the Personal Income Tax Law or the Corporation Tax Law, or by any
regulation pursuant to that law, or procures the same to be falsely
or fraudulently executed or advises, aids in, or connives at that
execution.
(4) Removes, deposits, or conceals, or is concerned in removing,
depositing, or concealing, any goods or commodities for or in respect
whereof any tax is or shall be imposed, or any property upon which
levy is authorized by Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 19201); or
Chapter 8 (commencing with Section 688.010) of Division 1 of, and
Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 706.010) of Division 2 of, Title 9
of the Code of Civil Procedure, with intent to evade or defeat the
assessment or collection of any tax, additions to tax, penalty, or
interest imposed by Part 10 (commencing with Section 17001), Part 11
(commencing with Section 23001), or this part.
(5) In connection with any settlement under Section 19442, or
offer of that settlement, or in connection with any closing agreement
under Section 19441 or offer to enter into that agreement, or
compromise under Section 19443, or offer of that compromise,
willfully does any of the following:
(A) Conceals from any officer or employee of this state any
property belonging to the estate of a taxpayer or other person liable
in respect of the tax.
(B) Receives, withholds, destroys, mutilates, or falsifies any
book, document, or record, or makes any false statement, relating to
the estate or financial condition of the taxpayer or other person
liable in respect of the tax.
(b) In the case of a corporation, the fifty thousand dollars
($50,000) limitation specified in subdivision (a) shall be increased
to two hundred thousand dollars ($200,000).
(c) The fact that an individual's name is signed to a return,
statement, or other document filed, including a return, statement, or
other document filed using electronic technology pursuant to Section
18621.5, shall be prima facie evidence for all purposes that the
return, statement, or other document was actually signed by him or
her.
(d) For purposes of this section, "person" means the taxpayer, any
member of the taxpayer's family, any corporation, agent, fiduciary,
or representative of, or any other individual or entity acting on
behalf of, the taxpayer, or any other corporation or entity owned or
controlled by the taxpayer, directly or indirectly, or which owns or
controls the taxpayer, directly or indirectly.
(e) The changes made to this section by the act adding this
subdivision apply to offers made on or after January 1, 1999.

cltitus
03-21-2010, 5:29 PM
Forgive the Speech but this is the ****ing reason why im getting my dual majors in Criminal Justice and Law, Take the corrupted officers, officials, politicians and put them on a stake where they can be rock, spat, slapped in publics eyes to show that crime doesn't pay don't matter how good you are.

HappyG
03-21-2010, 5:39 PM
If it were in the millions, then maybe, but several hundred k isn't that much anymore..isn't this what all the soon to be out of work city employees of LA wanted? Go after people with unpaid taxes and financial obligations to the city of LA so that they don't get laid off?

If he's guilty, then he deserves the punishment. If he's innocent, then a lot of people on here jumped on the bandwagon as usual.

nick
03-21-2010, 6:08 PM

-Gene

It's for 3 years, 2005-2007.

luckystrike
03-21-2010, 6:16 PM
You have GOT to me kidding me. Hopefully this was from some other personal business or investment income and not taxpayers.

Yeah, but they didn't say it was illegal. A lot of people have ar-15 "assault rifles" the SacBee would report, but were legally registered.

then again the press dosent know the differance between grandads shotgun and an AR15.
im surprised they didnt say "fullyautomatic AK47 with heatseeking bullets."

Meplat
03-22-2010, 8:54 AM
Bummer!:43:

Ca Patriot
03-22-2010, 9:12 AM
Is it possible that a law enfrocement agency has been investigating this man for some time on other charges and couldnt find the proof so they decided on tax charges ? Just like Al Capone.

guntntteacher
03-22-2010, 9:46 AM
I bet he was holding on to relatives' cash. It's not uncommon for Asian families to have one member hold on to the extended family's savings so that they can continue to recieve gov't benefits or evade taxes. Sometimes you'll even see the capital converted into gold. They probably picked him since they thought he had some immuinty since he is a LEO.

Thats how most the title one students stay on title one at my school why they all have ipods, and parents drive esclades its a racket

Texas Boy
03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
The income thing could be any number of items.

But the pertinent question here is was his AR legally or illegally configured? Has there been any more information on this?

bomb_on_bus
03-22-2010, 1:26 PM
what was that guy claiming his acutal side income to be. I didn't see anything there in the article divulging that info.

From what I read it sounded like the AR was a means to get him behind bars while they sift through things to figure out where he got his extra income from