PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Microstamping

NayaL8R
01-05-2010, 5:55 PM
Ok, even though it is an unenforceable law at this point, what would be the downsides?
1) Criminals would either grind down the firing pin and add another custom made one (not really that hard) or even easier, replace it.
2)If I go shooting at the range or country, does that mean I have to pick up every single piece of brass?
3) What if my brass shows up in a murder scene?
4)Would manufacturers charge me extra to replace my firing pin, because now it isn't a mass made part, it is now unique, hence raising the costs.
Responses anyone?

Swatguy10_15
01-05-2010, 5:57 PM
Youre reasons are why it will never be feasible.

mscales5
01-05-2010, 6:08 PM
The firing pin markings themselves would be gone after just a few firings. nay barrel markings could be removed with a slight polishing. remember, they are MICRO stamped or etched. Any barrel markings will be altered after just a few rounds and would continue to change as you shoot and clean. A wire brush would also do away with or damage the MICRO stamp enough to make it useless. So on hte face none of that would be bad but from the manufacturing side it would add quit a expense to the firearms and thus he retail price would soar also. I was told years ago my a manufacturer (non-firearms) that a $5 increase in costs woild result in as much as a $40 to 50 retail price increase. Also, the more a firearm cost to make the more money that is paid to the Feds in excise tax. Now it is 11% so a $5 cost increase would mean a total cost of $5.50 to the manufacturer and if they double that for their profit and the wholesaler doubles that to the retailer, well, you can see where that is going.

cmace22
01-05-2010, 6:10 PM
With the rediculous laws california has, they should just make criminals leave there name and number on the body. If they dont its a 25 dollar fine!

ajaffe
01-05-2010, 6:43 PM
That would be a great idea since criminals obviously follow our gun laws already. Think of how much crime it would cut down on!

gaucho750
01-05-2010, 7:00 PM
With the ridiculous laws california has, they should just make criminals leave their name and number on the body. If they dont its a 25 dollar fine!

NICE!!! The sad part is that I could totally see the California legislature passing that law.

robert101
01-05-2010, 7:59 PM
What a mess - our legislators. Get rid of them all. Micro stamping is a joke plain and simple. Don't even give these clowns any bit of information as they will try to make a name for themselves.

Librarian
01-05-2010, 9:15 PM
The whole set of arguments presented above, and more, was provided to the legislature while the bill was being considered.

It's important to realize that California gun laws are not about crime or public safety. They're invariably about legislators getting re-elected. They do that by doing something, or appearing to do something, about a problem (always poorly defined).

Legislators, on the whole, are not stupid. They're just operating on a different set of principles.

AndrewMendez
01-05-2010, 9:18 PM
Damn, where is my Crystal Ball....
This will have to do til then!
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/bbiggs_/donatetoCalGuns.jpg

Saym14
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Ok, even though it is an unenforceable law at this point, what would be the downsides?
1) Criminals would either grind down the firing pin and add another custom made one (not really that hard) or even easier, replace it.
2)If I go shooting at the range or country, does that mean I have to pick up every single piece of brass?
3) What if my brass shows up in a murder scene?
4)Would manufacturers charge me extra to replace my firing pin, because now it isn't a mass made part, it is now unique, hence raising the costs.
Responses anyone?

would it be illegal for me to replace a broken pin from a stock one (maybe from out of state)?
will trafficking of firing pins be illegal?

mswanson223
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
There was a badly written story about micro-stamping in the news about a year ago.They even showed a ballistic tech. changing the barrels lands and grooves by running patches of liquid lead down the barrel.

bwiese
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Folks, all this discussion above is moot.

Microstamping won't be implemented due to patent/IP issues. The regulations can't be created without DOJ 'certification' and clear sailing (i.e, no "encumberment) ahead - which can't be done.

Even if Todd Lizotte gives up his patent, there's a ton of interfering prior art out there in the semiconductor processing and micromachining industries (and possibly for substrates in biological assay equipment) that overlaps. The DOJ does not have the budget, staff, skills or funds to resolve patent wars.

Remember also that microstamping is merely a gating factor to the Roster. When the Roster goes down, microstamping and LCI and mag disco restrictions go away too.

SJgunguy24
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Folks, all this discussion above is moot.

Microstamping won't be implemented due to patent/IP issues. The regulations can't be created without DOJ 'certification' and clear sailing (i.e, no "encumberment) ahead - which can't be done.

Even if Todd Lizotte gives up his patent, there's a ton of interfering prior art out there in the semiconductor processing and micromachining industries (and possibly for substrates in biological assay equipment) that overlaps. The DOJ does not have the budget, staff, skills or funds to resolve patent wars.

Remember also that microstamping is merely a gating factor to the Roster. When the Roster goes down, microstamping and LCI and mag disco restrictions go away too.

Bill, there you go again! Messing it up againg with reason and common sense!
Geeze man:p
Oh....I got one......why don't we make breaking the law illegal, maybe then they will stop breaking laws:rolleyes:

mscales5
01-06-2010, 1:03 PM
Yes, WHEN the roster goes down. How about about getting rid of the one hand gun per 30 days restriction? I still say that is restraint of trade. No other industry that I know of limits a company to how much of anything they can sell and sicne firearms are a LEGAL product there should be no restriction on how amny a dealer can sell. The real wrench in the law is that FFL dealers are required to do PPTs and as PPTs the buyer can buy all the of those they want and they MUST go through the same FFLs that are restricted to selling only 1 per month to the same person. Sure sounds like they want to limit dealer sales to me.

Cokebottle
01-06-2010, 1:19 PM
NICE!!! The sad part is that I could totally see the California legislature passing that law.
Somebody should propose it.

It'll keep them busy and distract them from passing other ineffective laws that inconvenience/restrict LACs but do nothing to stop crime.

bwiese
01-06-2010, 2:32 PM
Yes, WHEN the roster goes down. How about about getting rid of the one hand gun per 30 days restriction? I still say that is restraint of trade. No other industry that I know of limits a company to how much of anything they can sell and sicne firearms are a LEGAL product there should be no restriction on how amny a dealer can sell. The real wrench in the law is that FFL dealers are required to do PPTs and as PPTs the buyer can buy all the of those they want and they MUST go through the same FFLs that are restricted to selling only 1 per month to the same person. Sure sounds like they want to limit dealer sales to me.

Yes but that's a lower proiority on the list since it's readily avoidable by a person getting a C&R ($30) and COE papers. Let's fix the things first that don't have bypasses.

Jpach
01-06-2010, 5:14 PM
Yes but that's a lower proiority on the list since it's readily avoidable by a person getting a C&R ($30) and COE papers. Let's fix the things first that don't have bypasses.

Like the AWB/Standard-cap mag ban :43: