PDA

View Full Version : Blackpowder Age?

OCMI_Teddy
01-05-2010, 4:49 PM
I own a remington 1860 cap&ball revolver. Today I went to Duncan's to buy some ammo for a range day I have coming up. When I went up to the register and asked for the pyrodex they told me they couldn't sell it to me because I was 20 and you have to be 21 to buy blackpowder. Is this true or FUD?

Palimino Stripe
01-05-2010, 5:47 PM
Gimme a break! I've ordered pyrodex over the internet AND bought it in stores before I was 21. Although that was years ago (the laws changed?? But I doubt it)

-Palimino

CSACANNONEER
01-05-2010, 5:53 PM
Uh, Pyrodex is NOT black powder. It's a smokeless powder which happens to be a black powder substitute. That said, why would you want to use a substitute? I started shooting BP when I lived in SLO. I used to get Goex at Atascadero Guns out by the lake. After they closed, I could still get it from Dee at his feed store. I know both are long gone but, someone in the county must still sell Goex. Find it, use it, don't accept a substitute! The smoke, smell and report from Pyrodex are not the same.

OCMI_Teddy
01-05-2010, 5:57 PM
Uh, Pyrodex is NOT black powder. It's a smokeless powder which happens to be a black powder substitute. That said, why would you want to use a substitute? I started shooting BP when I lived in SLO. I used to get Goex at Atascadero Guns out by the lake. After they closed, I could still get it from Dee at his feed store. I know both are long gone but, someone in the county must still sell Goex. Find it, use it, don't accept a substitute! The smoke, smell and report from Pyrodex are not the same.

I'm in SD now. I have the real stuff at my place up in slo but I forgot it when I came down here :(

spacecase0
01-05-2010, 6:46 PM
I bought it when I was 15...
I would just go somewhere else,
or buy it when someone else was at the counter.
it is hard to prove a lack of a law to someone.

spacecase0
01-05-2010, 6:48 PM
I bought it when I was 15...
I would just go somewhere else,
or buy it when someone else was at the counter.
it is hard to prove a lack of a law to someone.

chris
01-05-2010, 7:44 PM

i love shooting BP. i shoot it in Sharps and its fun.