PDA

View Full Version : Buying an out of state complete AR15?

Gundam
01-05-2010, 5:07 PM
I've been looking the used market for an ar15 and I've found some good deals. Unfortunately they are all out of state. Is it possible to purchase a complete rifle and have it shipped to an FFL? Perhaps send a bullet button to the seller and have him install it and ship the rifle/lower? I've tried searching but have not come up with a definitive answer.

Quiet
01-05-2010, 5:11 PM
Unless the CA FFL dealer has an assault weapons permit...
It needs to be imported into CA as a compliant rifle, so BB must be installed before being shipped to the CA FFL dealer.

Gundam
01-05-2010, 5:18 PM
So I would simply need to convince the seller to install a BB or Radlock and it'll be perfectly legal to ship to my FFL? That's simple enough.

barrym66
01-05-2010, 5:31 PM
Unless the CA FFL dealer has an assault weapons permit...
It needs to be imported into CA as a compliant rifle, so BB must be installed before being shipped to the CA FFL dealer.

Besides installing a functional BB prior to entry into CA - you also need to make sure it is NOT on the Roberti-Roos list as a banned AW... see Appendix b, here http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf...

Get familiar with the AW ID chart and check with the seller before you buy or bid on any AW/EBR type gun!

Why not just build your own on an OLL, or buy one already located here? I understand the attraction (I have 4), but be careful and be informed first.

Swatguy10_15
01-05-2010, 5:33 PM
I've been looking the used market for an ar15 and I've found some good deals. Unfortunately they are all out of state. Is it possible to purchase a complete rifle and have it shipped to an FFL? Perhaps send a bullet button to the seller and have him install it and ship the rifle/lower? I've tried searching but have not come up with a definitive answer.

Theres a few dealers but they are very few and far between..Youre best bets to just get a lower and go that route or just buy one here.

bwiese
01-05-2010, 5:34 PM
So I would simply need to convince the seller to install a BB or Radlock and it'll be perfectly legal to ship to my FFL? That's simple enough.

Quiet has it.

Plan B: separate the upper and the lower. He mails them separately - the upper goes to you, the lower goes to your cooperating CA FFL.

A lower - stripped or even with a pistol grip/telestock - is not a semiauto centerfire rifle (i.e., it could take a 22LR upper or bolt action upper).

Some FFLs don't like this however, and may only accept a BB'd rifle or a featureless rifle.

IrishPirate
01-05-2010, 5:38 PM
you can have the out of state FFL break the gun down and ship you everything but the receiver directly. Then ship the receiver to your local FFL where you DROS for it. As long as the receiver isn't banned by name and the other parts combined don't make it an illegal AW by name (ie bushmaster lower + bushmaster upper = Illegal AW) and you install a mag-lock device you're GTG. trouble is finding an out of state FFL that will break down to ship, and an in state FFL that will take the receiver. too many people are scared of ATF backlash should something go wrong. It's much easier to just buy an OLL locally and build it from there. You'll get just about the same thing for cheaper and there are plenty of calgunners to help out with the build.

Gundam
01-05-2010, 5:41 PM
Besides installing a functional BB prior to entry into CA - you also need to make sure it is NOT on the Roberti-Roos list as a banned AW... see Appendix b, here http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf...

Get familiar with the AW ID chart and check with the seller before you buy or bid on any AW/EBR type gun!

Why not just build your own on an OLL, or buy one already located here? I understand the attraction (I have 4), but be careful and be informed first.

The reason is that the one I'm looking at is a great deal. If I tried to build it myself, i'd spend nearly $500 more. That and the fact that I'm not the most mechanically inclined individual. Sure I can snap a complete upper onto a complete lower but I do not yet trust myself with assembling a complete AR from scratch.