PDA

View Full Version : SIG P 226 9mm - best ammo and question

eighteenninetytwo
01-05-2010, 2:49 PM
Hey there. I've had my p226 for a few months now - haven't been to teh range much really but hav ejust about come to teh end of my budgert Brown bear ammo I got initially. Now I want to get some decent stuff to train, improve accuracy and grouping and use for defense if forced to. What ammo have other people found is effective and gives good results in their P226?

Also on occasions the slide doesn't lock back when the gun is empty - I have assumed that this is a result of using the cheap*****ed ammo. is there anythign else I should be aware of here?

Black Majik
01-05-2010, 2:53 PM
Failure to slidelock can be attributed to many things on SIG P-series, however the most frequent reason happens to be the shooter riding the sidestop unintentionally. A few things to check, does the slide lockback with an empty magazine? How many rounds fired using that magazine? Try and fire the last round with your thumb FAR away from the slidestop, does it still fail to slidelock?

Regarding ammunition, American Eagle, Blazer Brass, WWB, UMC are all gtg. Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger are probably the ammo I'd be looking into for defensive purposes. See which your gun likes and the weight you're comfortable with using/practicing with.

Jonathan Doe
01-05-2010, 2:55 PM
I like shooting Winchester SXT 147 grain JHP ammo in my 9mm pistols. It is accrate ammo for me. Never had a function problem with any of my guns.

ldivinag
01-05-2010, 3:30 PM
my 2000 era 226/9 would suck up anything.

i mean a case of wolf... tons of reloads from miwall...

S&B, winchesters, remingtons... everything.

9mmepiphany
01-05-2010, 3:49 PM
my 226 will feed on just about anything too

my preferred practice round is the 115gr Blazer FMJ because it's accurate and cleaner than WWB

my carry load is usually Ranger 127gr +P Talon or Speer 124gr+P Gold Dot

the 2 most common reasons for the slide not locking back is low pressure ammo (most domestic ammo is) and riding the slide stop (check by shooting left handed)

eighteenninetytwo
01-05-2010, 5:02 PM
Riding the slide stop - this would be with my right thumb corrcet? I can watch that in future. The slide locks back with the mag in so I think it may be low pressure ammo. - This is cheap Russian stuff remember.

The sights are fixed on the Sig so what grain round gives nearest POI to POA at say 7 or 10 yards? or is there no appreciable difference? The only other hangun I had wa sa .38 S&W and there was a significant difference in point of impact at this distance with only a small difference in grain.

9mmepiphany
01-05-2010, 5:52 PM
the original design bullet weight for the 9x19mm was 124gr. 115 grains seems to have evolved into the default standard in America.

you'd have to be shooting some pretty tight groups at 7-10 yards to see much difference, most guns are regulated for 25 or 50 yards. if you're sighting in at 7 yards, your shots should be on top of each other

tbhracing
01-05-2010, 6:39 PM
OP- I have a G17 and G19. The ONLY time BOTH of them ever have a problem with ammo is with WWB. So- NO more WWB for them.

PS- And NO Wolf in any of my Glocks or SIG, ever!

ChrisTKHarris
01-05-2010, 7:24 PM
I like MagTech and PMC ammo, they shoot clean.

oghl888
01-06-2010, 1:54 PM
It's been mentioned that riding the slide stop is a leading contender for slide not closing. A worn magazine follower could be the cause as well. the mag follower pushes the slide stop up when empty. I've had an old mag that did not push hard enough to lock the slide.

As for ammo, cheap practice ammo can be anything. I like using 124 grain Federal for serious practice because it shoots to the same point of aim as 124 grain gold dots for me.

tbhracing
01-06-2010, 2:25 PM
I like MagTech and PMC ammo, they shoot clean.

Big 10-4 on that. :D