PDA

View Full Version : Redaction of Seller and Buyer Info on PPT DROS

littlejake
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
PC 12076 (5) "If the transaction is a private party transfer conducted pursuant to Section 12082, a photocopy of the original shall be provided to the seller or purchaser by the dealer, upon request. The dealer shall redact all of the purchaser's personal information, as required pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 12077, from the seller's copy, and the seller's personal information from the purchaser's copy."

The consignment sale of an non-rostered handgun is treated by dealers as a PPT.

A dealer I know does not comply with redaction on consignment PPT sales. When questioned by me on it, they stated it had not been implemented in the CA State online DROS program. Since the code says "shall redact" -- that is a legal imperative. The burden is on the dealer to redact even if the DROS program does not do it.

It seems as simple as using a Sharpie marker to redact this info.

I don't want to cause trouble for this dealer -- I'd like suggestions to get them to comply without bringing the power of the state to bear. We do not want to lose dealers over procedural errors.

chickenfried
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
No ffl i've used has redacted the other parties info. That;s a good idea.

bodger
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I've done three PPTs in the last year, one as seller, two as buyer. No redaction done on the copies. Two different FFLs.

Bad Voodoo
01-05-2010, 1:01 PM
None for me, either. Never even thought to ask.

berto
01-05-2010, 1:05 PM
Sharpies are a cheap and easy way to redact but you can still see through them unless you get a copy of the Sharpied form.

littlejake
01-05-2010, 1:16 PM
I as surprised to hear of so many instances where redaction is not done.

Generally when I do a PPT transfer it is to a good, trusted friend.

But, I don't want my info which includes CDL #, phone and address given to someone I do not know when the sale is a consignment.

The language of the law is clear that the burden is on the dealer. And it makes sense from a privacy standpoint that they redact.

By whatever method, redaction is a simple process... yes it may take a black marker and a Xerox copy.

ke6guj
01-05-2010, 3:46 PM
Only did one PPT, but it wasn't redacted.

esskay
01-05-2010, 3:56 PM
During a recent PPT, the dealer simply put a cut out piece of paper over the offending area and then xeroxed it.

littlejake
01-05-2010, 4:38 PM
During a recent PPT, the dealer simply put a cut out piece of paper over the offending area and then xeroxed it.

Exactly as he should have. A simple mask used to make a Xerox copy would comply with the requirement to redact.

esskay
01-05-2010, 5:04 PM
Exactly as he should have. A simple mask used to make a Xerox copy would comply with the requirement to redact.

Yeah, another dealer made a xerox, then used a Sharpie to redact which you could kinda see through. So the mask prior to xeroxing is a better way to go.

383green
01-05-2010, 5:53 PM
Last time I bought a gun by PPT, we went to Annie's Get Your Gun in Corona, and the copies of the paperwork were redacted with a sharpie pen as required. I didn't know it was a legal requirement until just now, but it seemed like a good idea anyway when they handed me the redacted form. I didn't look closely enough to see if I could still make out the redacted text, but then the other party is a close friend of mine so there weren't any secrets there, anyway.