PDA

View Full Version : Info video on Suppressor Purchase and Ownership

yellowfin
01-05-2010, 9:02 AM
An excellent primer by Mike Mers on suppressor purchase and ownership. With as much scrutiny and hassle, not to mention the $200 tax, it's absolutely absurd that CA, NY, and a few other states insist on obstructing (suppressing?) suppressor ownership. Doesn't a 3-6 month wait and a $200 tax satisfy California's regulatory and fee fetish?

383green
01-05-2010, 9:45 AM
Personally, I believe that suppressor ownership and use should be encouraged in the name of hearing safety and reduced environmental impact, rather than restricted over misplaced fears of Hollywood-style assassins lurking about and knocking people off.

SJgunguy24
01-05-2010, 9:48 AM
Damn man I gotta move or we need to get this sh*t here changed.

MrPlutonium
01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Honestly, we put mufflers on cars, why not do it with something that's way way louder? It's the only neighborly thing to do sometimes.

383green
01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Be careful what you wish for... we don't want to be required to put catalytic converters on our muzzles, too. :D

yellowfin
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Honestly, we put mufflers on cars, why not do it with something that's way way louder? It's the only neighborly thing to do sometimes.+1, particularly at indoor ranges or when dealing with mid to large caliber rifles. I HATE sighting in my .30-06 every year when there's someone else at the range doing the same right next to me, as it really throws me off when I'm really really concentrating on trigger and breath control then *BLAM!!!!!* A 7mm Mag going off 4 feet away from you under a tin roof will about knock your fillings loose when you're all calm, focused, and bundled up tight. PUT A CAN ON IT!!! :mad:

383green
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
+1, particularly at indoor ranges and when dealing with mid to large caliber rifles. I HATE sighting in my .30-06 every year when there's someone else at the range doing the same right next to me, as it really throws me off when I'm really really concentrating on trigger and breath control then *BLAM!!!!!* A 7mm Mag going off 4 feet away from you under a tin roof will about knock your fillings loose when you're all calm, focused, and bundled up tight. PUT A CAN ON IT!!! :mad:

I haven't had the dubious pleasure of going to an indoor range with a rifle-capable backstop, so I can only imagine how bad that would be! It's bad enough when there's somebody shooting something like a .44mag at the indoor range.

I've heard that shooting through the center of a row of tires helps muffle the muzzle blast. Maybe a setup where at least some of the lanes have racks of old tires available to quiet down the big guns would be nice? Even at outdoor ranges, muzzle blast noise from rifles with muzzle brakes can be pretty distracting for folks on adjacent lanes. I wouldn't think that a large stationary structure that's not attached to the gun would be considered a suppressor under NFA laws.

On a somewhat related note, I've considered constructing a portable frame to hang a piece of canvas tarp above the right side of a shooting bench to keep my ejected brass from pelting other shooters when I'm shooting a gun that doesn't fling its brass out in front of the firing line. I'll often fix a brass catcher bag onto my ARs (usually with the bottom unzipped so the brass just falls onto the table), but it's a bit of a pain to have that thing hanging off the gun and obstructing my view of the ejection port and chamber.