PDA

View Full Version : No no's for Glock's

Carpenter 409
01-05-2010, 7:17 AM
I was with a couple of friends at a gun show this last weekend and one of them was going to purchase some lead 9MM to shoot through a Factory Glock 17 Pistol. For those of you who don't know, this is not recommended by Glock.
IT CAN BE DANGEROUS if your going to shoot lead. You will need a different barrel to shoot lead in a factory Glock.
Some of you newer shooter may not know this!!!!

Lead in Glocks build up excessive chamber pressure and can cause weapon failure and injury to you the shooter.

tbhracing
01-05-2010, 8:10 AM
This is true.

cineski
01-05-2010, 8:11 AM
Actually, there's a lot of discussion on this subject (urban legend) over at Glock Talk. Seems there's not one place that Glock tells you not to shoot lead in your Glocks. Even in the manual, there's no mention of this. People shoot lots of lead through their stock Glocks, you just have to clean it out every few hundred rounds.

Juice5610
01-05-2010, 8:15 AM
Actually, there's a lot of discussion on this subject (urban legend) over at Glock Talk. Seems there's not one place that Glock tells you not to shoot lead in your Glocks. Even in the manual, there's no mention of this. People shoot lots of lead through their Glocks, you just have to clean it out every few hundred rounds.

quoted for truth

BamBam-31
01-05-2010, 8:19 AM
^^^This. I have a friend that's fired countless lead reloads thru his various Glocks w/ no KB's. He does scrub out the barrels every so often, though.

Carpenter 409
When I worked for Turners Outdoorsman for 3 years I was told by sales reps and armors both never shoot lead and yes I never found it in the manuel either.
Hey but I don't wanna be the unlucky one that proves the rule. Most indoors won't let you shoot lead now anyways.

SJgunguy24
Actually, there's a lot of discussion on this subject (urban legend) over at Glock Talk. Seems there's not one place that Glock tells you not to shoot lead in your Glocks. Even in the manual, there's no mention of this. People shoot lots of lead through their stock Glocks, you just have to clean it out every few hundred rounds.

This is correct, the lead builds up faster when using non jacketed bullets. As long you clean every couple hundred rounds your GTG.
I shot IDPA with a guy who shot his own lead reloads and between every stage he would just do a once over with a boresnake.

Kyle1886
01-05-2010, 8:20 AM
My manual states "Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition". (Manual Rev.11/08)

xounlistedxox
01-05-2010, 8:21 AM
I reload and have shot many lead rounds through my glock factory barrel. I just make sure to run a few jacketed rounds every so often, so that fouling can't clog up the barrel.

sspen003
01-05-2010, 8:24 AM
When my Dad was in the Police academy they shot lead through their glocks all the time. I told him about the whole lead thing and glocks and he said it was news to him.

He did the say barrel got dirty really fast though

Carpenter 409
01-05-2010, 8:26 AM
Like I said does not recommend not that you can't but you assume liability of injury.
Most people don't clean that often when they shoot lead with most guns so cleaning a glock out every 100 to 200 is not going to happen UNLESS you know the problems glock has with lead.

cineski
01-05-2010, 8:27 AM
I just ate my own words. Self induced non-internet based research is good ;) I do have to say, Glock owners seem to be the least clean obsessed of the different fanboys. I clean after every range trip, but there's a surprising number of people that go hundreds if not thousands of rounds between cleanings.

My manual states "Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition". (Manual Rev.11/08)

civilsnake
01-05-2010, 8:31 AM
You absolutely CAN shoot lead through Glock barrels. You just need to keep an eye on them and clean any buildup before it gets excessive.

Super Spy
01-05-2010, 8:38 AM
I was brought up that you always clean your gun every time you shoot......definitely heard the no lead in Glocks before....thought I saw it in the manual too.

TMC
01-05-2010, 8:47 AM
I just make sure to run a few jacketed rounds every so often, so that fouling can't clog up the barrel.

Do jacketed rounds actually remove lead from the barrel? How does that work? If that is the case why are there so many lead removel tools and chemicals? Wouldn't the recommended lead removal system be just shoot a jacketed bullet?

mds2004
01-05-2010, 8:56 AM
Do jacketed rounds actually remove lead from the barrel? How does that work? If that is the case why are there so many lead removel tools and chemicals? Wouldn't the recommended lead removal system be just shoot a jacketed bullet?

I believe the copper jacket just prevents the barrel from getting leaded as much.

coop44
01-05-2010, 9:16 AM
I thought this was a "just say no to glocks" thread, my bad.

QuarterBoreGunner
01-05-2010, 9:30 AM
I was told by sales reps and armors both never shoot lead (emphasis mine).

It's easier for Glock to just say 'DON'T DO IT', than say 'IT'S OKAY.. JUST CLEAN AND DE-LEAD THOROUGHLY AFTERWARD'

Swift Justice
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Bought my 17 New in 1986, don't know how many lead reloads I have shot through it. Life and Limb still intact. If you shoot it till you get leading out the barrel, obviously you need to clean your gun more often...

RockinCali
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
(emphasis mine).

It's easier for Glock to just say 'DON'T DO IT', than say 'IT'S OKAY.. JUST CLEAN AND DE-LEAD THOROUGHLY AFTERWARD'

yup! I have shot lead reload in my glock before and no problems. Just be smart and clean your gun!

pinwheels
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
The reason for concern over lead build-up in Glock barrels is that their internal geometry is a polygon (hexagonal for smaller calibers, octagonal for larger) instead of traditional lands and grooves rifling. Bullets seal more tightly since there are no lands to cut into the bullet on its way down the pipe. As a result, back pressure can build up higher and more quickly if there's leading that is obstructing the bullet.

Aside from using aftermarket barrels, a common recommendation is to use hard-cast bullets if shooting lead. I'll stick with FMJ and JHP, thanks.:beatdeadhorse5:

elSquid
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/reviews.html#glock

That book has a section discussing the use of lead in Glocks. The chapter author hooked up a transducer and did a bunch of tests involving various models. He did see radical pressure spikes, and apparently the cause for concern is warranted.

YMMV, caveat emptor, void where prohibited, only driven by a little old lady on Sunday mornings...

-- Michael

1911su16b870
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Previous thread that dealt with lead in Glocks:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1977675&postcount=24

Lead is a composite of various alloys and can be cast hard, you need to know about the metalurgy. IMO buy a Lone Wolf or Barsto Glock Barrel with conventional rifleing and shoot all the lead you want.

vta
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
i just loaded some of my own lead cast rounds for testing in my glock. Hopefully this weekend I will be shooting thru my factory barrel and plan on taking pictures after every few rounds to see what kind of build up you actually get. Has anyone done this yet?

spencerhut
01-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I shot IDPA with a guy who shot his own lead reloads and between every stage he would just do a once over with a boresnake.

We have seen the enemy, and he is us. Ignorance and paranoia, we (gun owners) have it in spades.

I cringe when I hear these comments to newbs, non gun people.

bigfrank
01-05-2010, 1:37 PM
This is correct, the lead builds up faster when using non jacketed bullets. As long you clean every couple hundred rounds your GTG.

I doubt that a bore snake is going to do much on lead.

cineski
01-05-2010, 2:04 PM
What about Double Tap 10mm 200gr WFNGC Hardcast?

hill billy
01-05-2010, 2:10 PM
Meh, I shoot it all the time, including reloads that Glock tells you not to shoot. I also tear all the tags off my mattresses. Oh well.

ilvwhtgrls
01-05-2010, 2:50 PM
I've shot a decent amount of lead through my g34 with no problems... Nothing a good scrub won't fix.

Echidin
01-05-2010, 8:01 PM
This is why I still have a box of LRN that I accidentally bought. That will teach me to not read the entire box before buying.

spencerhut
01-05-2010, 8:41 PM
This is why I still have a box of LRN that I accidentally bought. That will teach me to not read the entire box before buying.

Just shoot them. Geezel Pete. What do think will happen? The worst thing, you have to work harder to clean the barrel. Shoot the lead, and if you are a total paranoid freak then clean it before you shoot JHP/FMJ again. :rolleyes:

pinwheels
01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
i just loaded some of my own lead cast rounds for testing in my glock. Hopefully this weekend I will be shooting thru my factory barrel and plan on taking pictures after every few rounds to see what kind of build up you actually get. Has anyone done this yet?

Not me (don't shoot lead), but I'd love to see the pics. Keep us posted!