PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 RTF or P2000 V3 in .40

lakerfan
01-05-2010, 2:13 AM
Subject says all. I am trying to decide between getting either of these, which will be solely my first handgun.

I was dead set on a P2000 V3 (I really like the option of a decocker) for a while since I'm a lefty (it's basically tailor made for me), but when I went to a local gun store the Glock caught my eye. I'd heard about it for a while, loved the way the new frame grip looked (and felt), and I could honestly get past the slide serrations as I think they function very well (not to mention it's very unique as Glocks have always had the straight serrations). But what I am wondering is: should I wait until the new gen 4 Glocks come out (with the new rtf grip but the same old slide serrations) and get one of those? Does anyone know if the RTF will be discontinued after the gen 4's come out, thus making them a little rarer in the long run? Like I said, the serrations aren't a HUGE deal to me. I think they look fine.

And as for the P2000, I simply love the way it feels and looks altogether (with the decocker).

Anyone wanna give me a little friendly advice?

By the way, great site here. I've been lurking around for a while and this is probably one of the best sources for info on guns (especially for us Californians) on the net.

Rivers
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Welcome!

OK, I'll admit to being biased. My P2000sk (the subcompact version of the P2000) has thousands of .40 rounds through it without failure of any type. Accurate and feels good. In short, I don't think I could reasonably ask more of a pistol. It cost me more than many others but I would have no hesitation doing it again. It's that good.

There are others that will also fit that bill. But I would buy HK again. In fact, I have.

HCz
01-05-2010, 1:00 PM
Both are reliable guns, and it comes down to personal preference. For me, RTF is not a good point and in fact I do not like it that much, so due to that I'd go for P2000.

There is no telling when or if Gen4 Glocks will be added to the roster. I would not hold my breath.

lakerfan
01-05-2010, 2:28 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Vin496
01-05-2010, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Anyone else wanna chime in?

The way the roster rules are written, the Gen 4 will not be able to pass, but something happened lately that has me thinking it may make it.

The passing of the Sig P250. I don't know how it passed, unless there is some specific modified Ca version. Under the new requirement for the LCI, there is no way that gun should be on the list, but as of 12/31 it is.

Juicymeat
01-05-2010, 3:41 PM
I have a Glock 21 and a P2000. Both are accurate and near maintenance free as modern guns can get. The only difference would be that the P2000 is the most solid feeling and ergonomic polymer gun I have had the pleasure to own. The slide has damn near no resistance when I rack it and the slide to frame fit is very nice as well. Balance is also in favor of the P2000, and I can transition from target to target faster (if that matters to you) with a much more natural grip. The grip panels are made in such a way that they are smooth when holstered and won't rub you the wrong way, but offer enough purchase on the gun when firing. Glock's RTF may offer a lot more in terms of aggressiveness of grip, but is a bit overkill in my opinion. Also the P2000 is about the size of a Glock 19/23 so if you want something bigger that'd be a consideration you might have left out.

sammy
01-05-2010, 4:31 PM
You have chosen 2 great guns and I can see how it would be a difficult choice. Let me give you my opinion.

The HK is a very good gun. I have the P2000 and out of the 15 or so hand guns I own that is only one of 3 that have never had a failure of any kind. It is very accurate and the single action trigger is top notch. What I don't like about it is the double action pull and the super long reset. Follow up shots are slow. I can get past all that but what I can't seem to get over is the DA/SA transition. Lets look at this in a practical manner. The gun is in your night stand chambered, hammer down. Scumbag breaks in and wants to harm you or a family member. You squeeze the trigger in a fairly quick manner trying to take out your target. With the blood pumping, adrenaline flowing wide open your chances of getting a clean hit with that kind of pull is minimal unless you practice DA at the range often. Then you reset the trigger and pull off a second shot. It probably broke much sooner because your first shot was so much longer and heavier. All this is bad and can have severe consequences if you hit an unintended target. My thinking is why make a gun fight more complicated with such a trigger design?

The Glock does not have this problem. The trigger pull is the same every shot. Reset is short and positive. They are very reliable and accurate. Magazines are nearly half that of the HK. My vote is for the Glock.

I am in the East Bay and am happy to let you shoot both.

Sammy

Vin496
01-05-2010, 6:08 PM
You have chosen 2 great guns and I can see how it would be a difficult choice. Let me give you my opinion.

The HK is a very good gun. I have the P2000 and out of the 15 or so hand guns I own that is only one of 3 that have never had a failure of any kind. It is very accurate and the single action trigger is top notch. What I don't like about it is the double action pull and the super long reset. Follow up shots are slow. I can get past all that but what I can't seem to get over is the DA/SA transition. Lets look at this in a practical manner. The gun is in your night stand chambered, hammer down. Scumbag breaks in and wants to harm you or a family member. You squeeze the trigger in a fairly quick manner trying to take out your target. With the blood pumping, adrenaline flowing wide open your chances of getting a clean hit with that kind of pull is minimal unless you practice DA at the range often. Then you reset the trigger and pull off a second shot. It probably broke much sooner because your first shot was so much longer and heavier. All this is bad and can have severe consequences if you hit an unintended target. My thinking is why make a gun fight more complicated with such a trigger design?

The Glock does not have this problem. The trigger pull is the same every shot. Reset is short and positive. They are very reliable and accurate. Magazines are nearly half that of the HK. My vote is for the Glock.

I am in the East Bay and am happy to let you shoot both.

Sammy

Problem solved with the LEM trigger.

sammy
01-05-2010, 7:07 PM
Problem solved with the LEM trigger.

You are spot on. I don't know why I did not think of that. Anyone have any imput on the H&K LEM VS the Glock?

ChrisTKHarris
01-05-2010, 7:22 PM
I heart the P2000.

Going to have my parents pick one up since my father is a lefty and my mother's right handed.

Echidin
01-05-2010, 7:28 PM
I went with the 17 RTF2 rather than the 22. You have to love the feel of the frame in your hand.

gumby
01-05-2010, 7:34 PM
Carried the G23 for over 20 years, never a problem. Now in retirement, I carry the HK 2000v3 in .40. Its a personal choice, follow sammy's advice and shoot both. Its the best way to decide and sammy is a stand-up guy for letting you shoot his weapons!

RT13
01-05-2010, 8:04 PM
As much as I love the Glock, the Hk P2000 is one of the very best polymer pistols ever built, and I love mine so much that I even prefer it over the newer P30 after shooting them side by side. So P2000 it is for me.

Juicymeat
01-05-2010, 8:51 PM
You are spot on. I don't know why I did not think of that. Anyone have any imput on the H&K LEM VS the Glock?

The P2000's LEM trigger does emulate a Glock trigger very well and is very smooth. However, I feel that the reset isn't as positive nor as short as a Glock's. You can install a heavier trigger return spring for a more forceful and quicker reset, but shortening the point of reset would be best left to a gunsmith.

BHPFan
01-06-2010, 8:14 AM
Which option do you want? The affordable option? or the money is no problem option?

If you want affordable, then the Glock.

If money is no problem, then get the P2000.

For .40SW, I prefer HK P2000 over Glock because as far as I know, HK built the USP series around the .40 SW caliber rather than grab an existing 9mm and make it into a .40 caliber.

Also, with the changeable backstraps, you can get a better grip and ergos than Glock.

Black Majik
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM

I tried out a Border Patrol's issued P2000 LEM .40, I've shot a G22 and own a P2000 v3 DA/SA (in 9mm).

Of all the ones I've shot, I think I prefer the G22 if all things being equal (meaning in .40S&W). I did not particularly like the LEM trigger, it still stacked more than I preferred, especially at the end. Taking up the slack in a LEM trigger can be misleading, as you figured the hammer is about to fall, only to have a smidgen more pretravel for it to fire. I suppose I could get used to it, but the stacking in the trigger sucked. Similiarly, the reset is slightly shorter than the DA/SA V3 version, but still noticeably longer than a stock G22.

P2000s are a great gun, but there are a few reasons I still prefer a Glock fullsize pistol. Lower bore axis and trigger system are the main reasons. P2000s are much more fun though out at the range. I actually noticed the P2000 to have less recoil than the G22, for reasons I'm not sure why.

sammy
01-06-2010, 1:53 PM
Great pionts Richard. I love shooting my P2000 but have fallen head over heels for my G19. The P2000 does suck up the recoil a bit better but I am comparing 9mm guns. After shooting a couple G22's they are snappy to say the least. Nothing compared to my G20 lobbing 180 grain Montana Golds at 1275fps. I have not tried a P2000 in .40 for comparison. The sight radius on the G22 is a bit longer if I am remember correctly. Another plus for the Glock.

Exiledviking
01-06-2010, 5:24 PM
IMHO, the HK P2000 V3 is "Perfection"! ;):D

It is the only DA/SA I own and one of only 2 .40S&Ws I have.

lakerfan
01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey Guys,

Almost forgot about this thread but I decided to go with the G22 RTF2!

I just liked the Glock better, the feel, the versatility.

Eventually I will own the P2000 as well, but I felt for now, the Glock simply seemed right.

I purchased it on 1.06.09, so tomorrow is pick up day!

What ammo do you guys recommend I put through it for basic target practice? The reloads at the shooting range? Or should I only buy and use factory loads?