PDA

View Full Version : New Logo/Brand

ParallaxTactical.com
01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Would like your inputs!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4629/logobig.jpg

This is for when we get our FFL. It seems too many people don't know what parallax is, how to pronounce it or how to spell it.

NiteQwill
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I like "parallax" much better.

ParallaxTactical.com
01-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Parallax Tactical will still exist, this is just for the gun side of things.

SanSacto
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM

:iagree:

But if it was A or B, definitely A!

freakshow10mm
01-06-2010, 8:53 PM
I like the "formula" angle. Roll "Formula Defense" or "Formula Tactical" off your tongue a couple times and see what you think. Maybe like a "Formula Defense, Everything you need, when you need it". Something to tie in the "formula" part that you have everything, ie part of the formula guns, gear, ammo, etc. I think "tactical" is a bit overused, so "defense" might appeal to more people seeking a firearm for protection rather than "tactical". More people know what "defense" is than "tactical". "Formula" conveys you have the pieces of the puzzle, so to speak. Just the vibes I'm getting.

Just a thought.:)

glock_this
01-06-2010, 9:08 PM
lean towards A... go with the more current model AR... put some tactical on there and drop the old school carry handle. your modern, it should be modern.

"formula" could also maybe be better represented by different gun parts in a mixing bowl as your not a pharmaceutical company are you?

Fate
01-06-2010, 9:35 PM
One issue with using a beaker graphic for the U in the word Formula is that it breaks the name into two words. FORM and LA. Since you're in San Diego, "LA" can read "Los Angeles" to many people.

Logo design and identity is a real challenge. Been doing it for 20+ years now and there are still times I am surprised at the left field comments about what people "see in there."

Philistines! :D

glock_this
01-07-2010, 7:31 AM
One issue with using a beaker graphic for the U in the word Formula is that it breaks the name into two words. FORM and LA. Since you're in San Diego, "LA" can read "Los Angeles" to many people.

Logo design and identity is a real challenge. Been doing it for 20+ years now and there are still times I am surprised at the left field comments about what people "see in there."

Philistines! :D

I also do logo design.... and sometimes those comments from 3rd parties not so close to the design and process are exactly what you need - like the old saying "out of the mounts of babes" - pure unfettered honest first thought comments - which is what a logo and branding count on

funny thing is, your comments never came to my mind/eye :)

ParallaxTactical.com
01-08-2010, 2:35 AM
Took your suggestions:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8814/laserconceptlargertxtmo.jpg

glock_this
01-08-2010, 8:03 AM
if you still looking for feedback, I am going to be dead honest and give some more.. it feels very "home grown"

the tagline does not work for me. your not 19 years old. "awesome" - fun word to use, not something I would tie to my professional business name.

not only that.. the sentence does not read that correct. IF your going to use that tagline, I would do it more like "Side effects include... awesome" BUT personally, I would look for something else as it just does not work well for me.

as well.. not even sure what those black patterns under the name are? IF you keep those, they are to big (height) and fill that space to much. that is about composition and it's spacing is just not correct. As well.. I do not even know what they are. Now, I know that every element must not have a direct tie to your business, I understand that. Sometimes you just have artistic "effects" - this one is not working for me. Also, because it is black it is "stronger" than the name and so I look to those weights of color more.

I like the tactical gun choice (though I think given this design a "shadowed" gun like you had originally is better, but in this style of more tactical). Why? because the rest of the card are "line art" type elements and then you have added a "real world" element and that is tough to pull off. Also, the green line "feels" like a laser, yet it is coming out of the barrel.

the "chemicals" or "compound" or whatever is coming out of the mixing pot are still a tough one for me to get on board with. it makes it seem like you a chemist. Maybe a 223 bullet, a grip, a magazine, etc in a mixing pot makes more "visual" sense on what your trying to say and tie into "formula"

finally font.. font choice is SO important. I often spend hours selecting just the right font that "fits" the feel of the card. Very hard to explain the "sense" you get about correct font choice, but this does not feel right. It is a very basic, very blah font. There are hundreds of thousands of fonts out there, so many it gets overwhelming, but font selection is key. also, I would make the your name stand out different than your title as right now it looks like your name is "Joseph Chen Owner"

so.. logo and branding design is very tough stuff to do. I know, I do it a lot and until you get it right, you don't want to pull the trigger as once it is out there, it is done and you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Rob85
01-08-2010, 9:41 AM
At first glance I thought to myself " formula for failure" but then again I like i really liked freakshow10mm"s "Formula Defense" i would also like to add that the AR thing is overused maybe a silhouette of a soldier or something other than a gun. Also i am not on board with the slogan "side effects" Thing I think with the science or chemical theme you can do much better. But what the heck do I know any way?

ParallaxTactical.com
01-09-2010, 9:12 AM
The tagline is not final, just something I put on there for fill.

I did change the font abit. Will post more revisions as they happen.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8814/laserconceptlargertxtmo.jpg

ParallaxTactical.com
01-11-2010, 12:29 AM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6075/laserconceptlargertxtmoz.jpg
With bullets?

TKM
01-11-2010, 12:53 AM
SDPD ran a pretty good narcotics sting years ago out of a storefront called Triple Neck Scientific IIRC.

Folks might be a little leary of anything featuring a beaker in the logo.

Just a thought.

ParallaxTactical.com
01-11-2010, 1:11 AM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9454/laserconceptlargertxtmoa.jpg

ParallaxTactical.com
01-11-2010, 1:12 AM
SDPD ran a pretty good narcotics sting years ago out of a storefront called Triple Neck Scientific IIRC.

Folks might be a little leary of anything featuring a beaker in the logo.

Just a thought.

I'm sure my customers will have that in mind when legally purchasing legal firearms ;)

EDIT: Looked the name up. 1985. Pretty cool story to go with the name too! Also it was the DEA not SDPD.

I guess I should clarify why I came up with the name formula guns and why it has a beaker in it. We are located in a business park. My neighbors on both sides is some kind of lab and bio-science company. Just trying to fit in. :D

glock_this
01-11-2010, 7:59 AM
With bullets?

YES! way better. more relative. thats much more on the right track. do not have to stick to 223, could to various rounds.. but much better IMHO

new tagline is better BUT no reason for "the place" that is just generic extra verbiage that adds nothing but more words.

I guess I should clarify why I came up with the name formula guns and why it has a beaker in it. We are located in a business park. My neighbors on both sides is some kind of lab and bio-science company. Just trying to fit in. :D

I would be careful about that only because.. you can move or they can move - is that good enough reason to base a biz name off it? just a thought.

BTW, did you ever consider something other than "guns".. maybe "weaponry" - sounds a little more sophisticated and covers more than just "guns"??

Rob85
01-14-2010, 9:32 AM
Looking good. I am 100% with "glock this" get rid of "the place" and just put "where the all the pieces come together" and you sir, have a winner! Good luck.

pullnshoot25
01-14-2010, 11:10 AM
How about a model of nitroglycerin?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/40/Nitroglycerin-2D-skeletal.png/632px-Nitroglycerin-2D-skeletal.png