PDA

View Full Version : gun store sell S&W M&P 15 with no BB.

maxwellca21
01-04-2010, 9:59 PM
hello everyone,

So i was browsing at my local gun shop...and I saw a Smith&Wesson mp15 chambered 5.56 with pistol grip, adjustable stock, 10 rounds mag, and NO BB?!?

my questions: is that legal? can gun retailer sell gun that's not legal to own unless you put a BB on it yourself?

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/images/firearms/sw_mp_ar15_orc.jpg

this is the exact one at the gun store.

edit:

im pretty sure the mag comes off because i held and pressed the mag released and mag pop out right away.

I dont think the owner only sell it to LEO...because I asked him how much is DROS and is this the only one he has (im really interested in buying because of the good price...$870 and put a Bullet Button on it).

kermit315
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
could be a LEO only sale with dept letterhead.

Adehtla
01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Are you sure the magazine came out? It may appear to have a normal magazine release, but it could be welded.

Adehtla
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh, to answer your question:

The retailer can possess the assault weapon so long as they have the correct permit. They cannot, however, sell it to anyone other than law enforcement or another person in possession of an assault weapon permit.

Amacias805
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh, to answer your question:

They cannot, however, sell it to anyone other than law enforcement.

with the dept letterhead.

Bill_in_SD
01-04-2010, 11:00 PM
The S&W M&P is new, so that means it is off-list? (new as in the model series is a newer design)

kermit315
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
yeah, M&P's are off list.

maxwellca21
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Are you sure the magazine came out? It may appear to have a normal magazine release, but it could be welded.

im pretty sure the mag comes off because i held and pressed the mag released and mag pop out right away.

I dont think the owner only sell it to LEO...because I asked him how much is DROS and is this the only one he has (im really interested in buying because of the good price...$870 and put a Bullet Button on it).

bigcalidave
01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Did you ask the guy at the store??? I don't get these posts. At least ask the person helping you. If you are then confused, come ask here. But posting something that just leads to a lot more questions is pointless. We don't know the situation or the store involved.

Deamer
01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
When I picked out my M&P15 at the gunstore it did not have the BB installed. The case also had the 30 round magazine in it. When I picked it up 10 days later the BB was installed and 10 rounder swapped in.

wildhawker
01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
When I picked out my M&P15 at the gunstore it did not have the BB installed. The case also had the 30 round magazine in it. When I picked it up 10 days later the BB was installed and 10 rounder swapped in.

Sounds like an FFL with permits for AWs & high-cap mags.

maxwellca21
01-05-2010, 9:51 AM
Did you ask the guy at the store??? I don't get these posts. At least ask the person helping you. If you are then confused, come ask here. But posting something that just leads to a lot more questions is pointless. We don't know the situation or the store involved.

thanks for helpful answer

maybe the only guy there was the owner and he's busy closing down his shop. I can only asked like 3 questions (price, old/new, dros) because giving the gun back to him so the guy can close on time.

SIGman Freud
01-05-2010, 4:50 PM

Just reading that depresses me. Why does it have to be this way? :(

Swatguy10_15
01-05-2010, 4:53 PM
Its also has a fixed stock and no bayonet lug..so it does drop a couple of the AW features..

mscales5
01-05-2010, 5:14 PM
A FFL must be a Assault weapons dealer to be able to receive an assault weapon of any kind even if they plan on altering it with a bullet button or some other way. So, if that FFL is a licensed AW dealer then they can have one but I believe it can not be displayed or offered for sale. It has been a while since I looked at the AW licensing info from the DOJ.

Flopper
01-05-2010, 5:45 PM
A FFL must be a Assault weapons dealer to be able to receive an assault weapon of any kind even if they plan on altering it with a bullet button or some other way. So, if that FFL is a licensed AW dealer then they can have one but I believe it can not be displayed or offered for sale. It has been a while since I looked at the AW licensing info from the DOJ.

True, but FFL's without AW permits just receive OLL's with the barrel detached or the receivers separated. As long as the barrel isn't attached to the part which is legally considered the firearm, it isn't an AW. That way they can configure the rifle to be featureless or install a mag-lock at their leisure.

Obviously they can't offer AW's for sale to those without AW permits, but I wonder if they can display them.

mig79
01-05-2010, 8:53 PM
If anyone has been to proforce they carry colts, BM, S&W's AR. When we asked about why they dont have them on display, we were told that they are "not allowed" to have them on display, but have them in stock.

ChrisTKHarris
01-05-2010, 9:12 PM

That's exactly how my purchase was. I believe they just leave them unmodified, then when purchased they modify them to be CA/non-LEO compliant.

Flopper
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
If anyone has been to proforce they carry colts, BM, S&W's AR. When we asked about why they dont have them on display, we were told that they are "not allowed" to have them on display, but have them in stock.

Five bucks says it's because they're afraid to have them on display, not because it's illegal for them to do so.

mig79
01-06-2010, 7:08 AM
Five bucks says it's because they're afraid to have them on display, not because it's illegal for them to do so.

from their website:
PROFORCE Store
Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry iinto the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.

ChuckBooty
01-06-2010, 7:13 AM
from their website:
PROFORCE Store
Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry iinto the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.

Kinda dumb...why would they limit their market like that?

SJgunguy24
01-06-2010, 7:27 AM
Kinda dumb...why would they limit their market like that?

Because they can

Flopper
01-06-2010, 9:17 AM
from their website:
PROFORCE Store

After reading that, now it makes even LESS sense why they don't display the AW's.

Either they're uninformed/scared, or (less likely) not allowed to display AW's. My money is on the former.