View Full Version : Yet another reason to get a C&R license...

12-14-2005, 3:34 PM
You'll receiver dealer discounts at Brownells...you can log in and see the retail and dealer price...and you'll receiver the latter.

This aside from all the wonderful, historical rifle you can have sent directly to you.

Best $35 bucks you'll ever spend.


12-14-2005, 4:07 PM
Someone PM'd and asked about how one goes about getting a C&R license so I'll answer here for those not in the know...

A C&R license is a Federal Firearms License which allows the holder to acquire firearms which have been designated by the ATF as Curio and Relics (these include such things as Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, some SKSs - more on that in a minute-, and many others). Once you have the license you can legally order such fine rifles and have them sent directly to your home. No waiting period, no DROS, no nonsense.

However, living in Cali we have a few exceptions (which shouldn't surprise anyone).
1.) The C&R rifle must also be over 50 years in age.
2.) C&R handguns must still go to an FFL 1 dealer.
3.) The hi-cap mag ban still applies.
4.) The 'characteristics' portion of the assault weapons ban still applies (i.e. pistol grip + detach mag = bad).
5.) No grenade launchers.

Ok, so this excludes what many people in free America are able to with their C&Rs. However, all hope is not lost. You can still get many wonderful rifles sent to you.

Just a few examples...

Russian SKSs (most of them...dated 1954 and before and soon those dated 1955). In regard to other SKSs: since only the Russians exceed 50 years in age the others (Albanians, Romanians, Yugos) are not C&R doable in Cali:( .

Mosins (enough here for a lifetime of collecting)...
Standard 91/30s, Finnish variants (such as 28/30s and M39s), carbines like the M38 and M44...there are rally a dizzying array of Mosins out there.

Mausers...also a wide range...never owned one, so I am not that familiar.



M1 Carbines

1903 Springfields

And the list goes on and on...

So how does one get a C&R? You need an application (which takes all of 10 minutes to fill-out) and $35. You send it in. The slow wheels at the ATF turn for an indeterminate period of time (mine was about 7 weeks). Some get them much faster, some much longer). And then your license arrives. Don't sign the original copy! Why? You need to make copies to send to people and they want ink signatures. Make copies and enjoy your new hobby.

Applications can be aquired one of several ways...I picked up the local phone book and called my friendly neighborhood ATF office. The nice lady who answered sent me one. I believe you can probably also find one or a way to get one on the ATF website. Within the last year they updated their application and mailing address...so make sure you get a current one (the new mailing address is in Atlanta...so if yours has a different address find out the new one as otherwise your wait will be much longer).

There are some misconceptions on what rights you grant the ATF once you have a license. Some people think it allows them to search your house at any time. This is inaccurate. Your acceptance of a license allows the ATF to review your C&R records only. These records are referred to as a 'bound book' which is indicative of the format they should be in (notebook, binder, etc.). You basically log the rifles into your book and log them out of you ever sell one. It's not hard. If the ATF wishes to inspect your bound book they notify you and you have the option of either having the record check done at your house or at their office.

Most people never hear from them. It is a rare event. More info is here www.gunboards.com <~ which incidently is the first website you should start hanging out on if you're going to do the C&R thing.

12-15-2005, 3:44 AM
I just sent in my renewal today ($30.00). I will save that much on my next order from Midway. BTW, you can buy C & R pistols in person out of state, bring them home and register them with the DOJ for $19.00.

12-15-2005, 3:50 AM
Great post Tony.

12-15-2005, 8:27 AM
Be careful with your C and R license! It is a great way to ensure that your gun fund is always empty!:)

12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Be careful with your C and R license! It is a great way to ensure that your gun fund is always empty!:)

Yeah I totally agree. Within the last 2 months I've purchased (2) K-31's, (1) VZ-24, & (1) Savage No. 4 Mk1.

Next on my list is a RC K98K, M44 & M38, Yugo 59/66 and prob a couple of more K-31's.

Also the dealer discount also works at Midwayusa

PS: The 50 year isn't concrete when it comes to C&R rifles. Century Arms, Interordinance & Classic arms will sell Yugo 59/66's to CA C&R's as long as the grenade launcher is removed:

Read this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25036&highlight=C%26R+years

12-15-2005, 1:15 PM
cool! This is a great deal.

12-15-2005, 1:21 PM
What are the drawbacks with the C&R?

12-15-2005, 1:50 PM
Cash steadily draining from your bank account...

Another plus is that you can buy C&R handguns in other states, then register them for $19 when you bring them back to California. You have to physically buy them there - no mail order - but if you travel much and can find dealers who understand this, it's a great way to get C&R pistols at much-better-than-California prices.


12-15-2005, 3:17 PM
As I understand it, a private party sale of a C&R rifle does not have to go through a dealer. But, if you have a C&R license and you re-sell, do you have to DROS the buyer?

12-15-2005, 4:28 PM
As I understand it, a private party sale of a C&R rifle does not have to go through a dealer. But, if you have a C&R license and you re-sell, do you have to DROS the buyer?
A private party sale does not go through a dealer if the gun is a long gun and at least 50 years old.

If the long gun gun is <50 years old, the transaction goes through a dealer.

Hand gun sales go through a dealer in the PRK.