PDA

View Full Version : HSC Question.

Ryke
01-04-2010, 9:40 PM
I've got a question that I haven't been able to decipher a definite answer to.

I'm 23 years old and I wish to borrow my father's 9mm Beretta pistol to take to the range for a day. I have not taken the HSC yet so I don't have a safety card. Will I be able to legally transport/use the pistol without my fathers presence at the range without a HSC?

He believes that the HSC is primarily for purchasing/selling of handguns, so I wanted to be 100% positive before I do anything.

Cokebottle
01-04-2010, 9:48 PM
It would be illegal for him to lend a handgun to a person without an HSC unless he is with you the entire time it is in your possession.

YOU may legally transport and use it without the HSC... the card is good for 5 years and renewal is only needed for a new purchase/rental/loan.

Ryke
01-04-2010, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up Cokebottle. Looks like ill be going to get a HSC tomorrow.

Have to love all the laws we have to jump through. I guess its the price I have to pay for enjoying living in socal sun.

DougJ
01-05-2010, 9:58 AM
The HSC is stupid, to be sure.

I bought my daughter a handgun for Christmas this year. She's never owned one before and I wanted her to do the DROS and own this weapon so all I'm really doing is paying for the thing. Anyway, we go down there and I didn't really think about the HSC, which they needed to do the DROS. Being military I don't have to fool with it. I thought she could do that anytime before picking the gun up from the dealer.

So there we stood with the test done, wanting to DROS the pistol. She ended up taking it cold, no idea what it was and no studying, it took her maybe 5 minutes. She missed three.

So just go take the thing and don't sweat it.