PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911A-1 GI

SIGman Freud
01-04-2010, 8:45 PM
I am really interested in this 1911 pistol at my local gun shop. They're asking for $560.00 before taxes, DROS, etc. What do you think--should I go for it? Is that a good price? I'm very new to 1911. I liked the feel and weight to it, and the idea of .45 acp adds more relief in the purpose of home defense. But, I also liked the vintage look and historical background (I am well aware that these are new guns, but made in the classic WWI and WWII-eras.

They had it in the parkerized version. Are there advantages in getting the blued or stainless steel finish? If so, why?

Black Majik
01-04-2010, 9:05 PM
$560 is a fair price for a SA GI at a B&M shop. However, it really didn't seem all that long ago when I remember seeing the SA GI for RIA GI prices. My how prices risen.

If you're looking for something similar to a WWII 1911, the GI is one of the closer CA rostered 1911s. However, for shooting, I would look into the Milspec, those larger sights make a big difference.

picasso
01-04-2010, 9:17 PM
Retting has the same model for $539 b/4 dros and such, but i think your price is within the range. I'm also actually in the market for a 1911 (entry level) and leaning towards the SA mil spec or the PARA gi.

Finish-wise, i like blued personally, but parkerize age well. I like stainless in a revolver.

sholling
01-04-2010, 9:18 PM
If I were you I would spend the extra $100 for a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. The sights on the GI are GI awful and the Mil-Spec adds several other upgrades you'll want like a beveled magazine well.

The main advantage to buying stainless over parkerized is ease of matching upgrades later. You can find blued or stainless thumb safeties, grip safeties etc all over the place but that can't be said for parkerized parts.

sorensen440
01-04-2010, 9:19 PM
Unless budget is really an issue I would spend the extra hundred for the milspec

I went with the stainless GI and regret it as the sights suck and are almost unusable at indoor ranges (due to lighting)

Ducman
01-04-2010, 9:21 PM
as what have been mentioned, spend the extra dough and get the mil spec, off course it never ends, someone will chime in and say go for the loaded and so on...:)

Black Majik
01-04-2010, 9:22 PM
Go for the Loaded. :D

Ducman
01-04-2010, 9:23 PM

Nah, get the Operator :D

black64ss@yahoo.com
01-04-2010, 9:44 PM
I have a Springfield Model 1911-A1 I've been thinking of selling. Never been fired. What do you think I can get for it?

five.five-six
01-04-2010, 9:47 PM
I have a GI, I shoot it a lot, some weeks every day, I like it a lot, It was my first 1911, b4 I knew anything about them... I soooo wish I had bought a mil-spec instead

that said, it's a great pistol and I <3 it

sorensen440
01-04-2010, 9:47 PM
I have a Springfield Model 1911-A1 I've been thinking of selling. Never been fired. What do you think I can get for it?
450-500 bucks if its in new condition IMO

nn3453
01-04-2010, 9:51 PM
The GI is not the gun to get as your first 1911 or if you are new to guns. Sights suck, trigger has tons of creep, feed ramp almost always needs work. It is a good gun when you have learned to shoot with any 1911. It has its place as a no frills old school 1911 but not as your first gun.

Ducman
01-04-2010, 10:12 PM
one sold for $550 a couple days ago.

five.five-six
01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
trigger has tons of creep

yea, but that's only for the first few thousand rounds, after that it's just heavy

SanSacto
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM

I would listen to the man with a Les Baer avatar. :D

5ohguy
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I have a mil-spec and love it, but if I was to do it again, I would have forked up the extra 150 bucks and got the loaded model. I still love my mil-spec, especially after adding a beavertail and tweaking the trigger a bit.

Ducman
01-04-2010, 11:17 PM
as what have been mentioned, spend the extra dough and get the mil spec, off course it never ends, someone will chime in and say go for the loaded and so on...:)

I have a mil-spec and love it, but if I was to do it again, I would have forked up the extra 150 bucks and got the loaded model. I still love my mil-spec, especially after adding a beavertail and tweaking the trigger a bit.

Now you see where this is going....;)

SIGman Freud
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Yep! Just what I DIDN'T want to hear! lol

Thanks, guys, for your input. I think this was almost an impulse buy. I wasn't even really looking for a 1911 pistol. I was actually in the market for an AR of all things. Then, my buddy who was in the market for a handgun, called me over to the pistol and revolver case and it was like Revelations! :D

Yeah, I want to get a 1911, but I will look into the mil-spec model only after I get my AR. 1911 pistols are likely to be around for a while, whereas who knows about the future of the semi-auto rifles in this state. :shrug:

vta
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I have owned 2 SA GI's in my life. Loved them both but always longed for more. Which is why I don't own them now and have a Stainless Loaded in jail. My last GI did have upgraded Milspec sights which was a breeze to order and install. Took a gunsmith 10 minutes to get the old ones off and slap the new ones on. It was really the only thing the GI needs to become a great shooter.

If I could, I would own both the GI and a higher end 1911 like the loaded or the TRP. The GI is such a quintessential 1911 because of the historical value that comes with it. You will always wish you'd have spent more money to buy the next model up regardless what you own. You can hear advice from other Calgunners until the cows come home but at some point you just have to pull the trigger on buying a gun. I sold my GI here 2 weeks ago for $520 in less than 24 hours and it only had 200 rnds or so fired thru it. $560 for a new one is a decent price.

FloridaEllie
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
So do you mind if I ask why they call it 1911? Does it have to do with 9/11? Or is it the caliber of the bullets? Does it kick a lot? What would you think about this gun for a girl?

SIGman Freud
01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
So do you mind if I ask why they call it 1911? Does it have to do with 9/11? Or is it the caliber of the bullets? Does it kick a lot? What would you think about this gun for a girl?

It's part of a model series called the 1911, and has nothing to do with September 11, 2001. The gun design came about in the early 20th century and was the standard military service pistol issued to soldiers starting in WWI. The traditional caliber for a 1911-type pistol is the .45. They have since made it in other calibers, incl. 9mm. I don't see why a girl or a boy couldn't handle this gun. Just takes getting used to like anything else, I suppose.

sephy
01-05-2010, 12:35 AM

They call it the 1911 because the Army adopted it in that year and designated it the M1911. It's a pretty heavy gun so the recoil really isn't all that bad -- I've taken a couple of girls out with 1911's and they tended to prefer them over my lighter-framed 9mm's.

ELEVENTH HOUR
01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
+1 for the loaded...

Black Majik
01-05-2010, 8:50 AM

Get a PRO. :D

wilson_wwsc
01-05-2010, 9:04 AM
if you are going to spend 500 bucks, you might as well drop 3000 on a wilson combat. :D

five.five-six
01-05-2010, 2:45 PM
I've taken a couple of girls out with 1911's

funny, things don't always sound the way we meant them to

Ducman
01-05-2010, 4:35 PM
Get a PRO. :D

Richard, I'm working on it ;)

Eddie1965
01-05-2010, 6:17 PM
I have one as well, great gun, except for the sights. I just got it so it could match my M1 Garand. Mine is made in Brazil. Are all SA 1911s made in Brazil now? Or just the bottom end ones?

vta
01-05-2010, 6:21 PM
I have one as well, great gun, except for the sights. I just got it so it could match my M1 Garand. Mine is made in Brazil. Are all SA 1911s made in Brazil now? Or just the bottom end ones?

ones with the serial number starting with NM are forged in US.

Eddie1965
01-05-2010, 7:42 PM

Is there any difference in quality?

chucksolo69
01-06-2010, 8:23 AM
The reason I bought my SA GI .45 is because of it's close proximity to the original GI issue gun. I have a Colt Govt. Model MK IV Series 70 that is tricked out and I wanted a gun as close to original as possible. The sights on the gun approximate the original GI sights. This is a niche gun. I can shoot my SA GI .45 just as well as my Colt. All it takes is practice and getting to know the gun. Yes, the sights are on the small side, but learn to use them properly and there is no problem. BTW, I paid $508.00 OTD for mine two years ago.

csorin
01-06-2010, 2:58 PM

This is wrong. All of Springfield's forgings, from their GI to the FBI's Pro, are made by IMBEL in Brazil. If the entire gun was more than 50% finished in Brazil, they'll mark it made in Brazil. Otherwise, it will be marked Geneseo, IL. Either way, the forgings all come from the same place. From my personal experience, the NM frames do tend to have better fit and finish.

As for the OP's question, the GI is an awesome base pistol. I had a WW serialized GI that I shot for over a year in its stock configuration. After shooting a bunch of IPDA, steel, and USPSA matches, and handling others' 1911's, it was sent to the Springfield Custom shop for modification.

The WW frame had some horrible machine markings inside, and the custom shop chose to replace the frame with a NM unit free of charge. The replacement frame, as stated above, had much better fit and finish. Springfield's work is top notch, and they warranty all of it.

If you don't care about vertical cocking serrations, I'd try to find a NM marked Mil-Spec. You'll get better sights, a bevelled mag well, and a lowered and flared ejection port. All these cost much more to get done by the custom shop. Now, some will recommend the Loaded. To me, the Loaded has a little too much to start off with. You might not like the sights, the front cocking serrations, or the three hole trigger. The Loaded is a bargain, but you'll be getting bargain quality fit and blending of the parts.

The 1911 was my first handgun. Like you, I dug the WWII look and it kept my Garand company. Once I got familiar with the platform and figured out what I wanted, I said the hell with keeping it a 1911A1 clone. It is now a much more functional pistol, and it's a custom to boot:D.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm244/csorin/1911%20Temp/DSC00503.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm244/csorin/1911%20Temp/DSC00523.jpg