PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Purchasing Firearm from Consumer

ugimports
01-04-2010, 5:06 PM
What do I need to worry about if I'm buying a firearm from a consumer for resale? I know there is some acquisition form I need to fill out (not sure if it was Fed/State), but other then that is there anything else I should be aware of? I'm working with a customer that has a firearm that they may just want to unload instead of consign. I've been searching DOJ site and don't see anything relevant yet. Will keep on searching, but thought I'd post here for the other dealers that have already gone through this.

Thanks,

SVT-40
01-05-2010, 9:50 AM
Check your city ordinances for restrictions about "pawn" type buys. There may be some local restrictions or requirements.

There are no state laws restricting FFL's from purchasing firearms from the public.

ugimports
01-05-2010, 9:51 AM
Ah, this may be the same type of thing as consignment. I've got a question into the city about that already. Thanks

OCArmory
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
You will need a state and local second hand dealer permit. You are allowed to purchase a couple of firearms with out one but more than that requires a permit.

ugimports
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
You will need a state and local second hand dealer permit. You are allowed to purchase a couple of firearms with out one but more than that requires a permit.

Who issues the state permit? I asked DOJ and they said it wasn't required by them only whatever local licenses would be involved.

FortCourageArmory
01-05-2010, 11:06 PM
My Second Hand Dealer Permit is issued the State of California through my local city government. I pay the city and they forward it to the state and I get my permit. Ask your local city licensing authority if a Second Hand Dealer PErmit is required for your location.

ugimports
01-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I finally got a reply back and apparently I don't need one. It surprised me as I thought all cities try to milk you for every permit they can think of.

I even need a permit to own a burglar alarm.