PDA

View Full Version : 1911 grips: should they match brands with the gun?

ncmavtgun
01-04-2010, 3:43 PM
I have a S&W 1911 commander size.
I've been contemplating a new set of grips and the Nighthawk grips have caught my eyes. What are your thoughts with a S&W 1911 with nighthawk logos on the grip? I've been holding off because i thought i might look akward.

Has anyone else done this?
I wish the set i'm interested in had smaller Nighthawk logos on the grip.

Ducman
01-04-2010, 3:45 PM
It may look weird but whatever works for you, it's your gun and money.

screaming_spool
01-04-2010, 3:55 PM
Is it something YOU like? Who cares what other people think.

littlejake
01-04-2010, 3:59 PM
I have a S&W 1911 commander size.
I've been contemplating a new set of grips and the Nighthawk grips have caught my eyes. What are your thoughts with a S&W 1911 with nighthawk logos on the grip? I've been holding off because i thought i might look akward.

Has anyone else done this?
I wish the set i'm interested in had smaller Nighthawk logos on the grip.

It's very common to change factory grips either for function or aesthetics. Go with what works for you.

Now, if it were a collector's piece, then original is most desirable.

chickenfried
01-04-2010, 4:03 PM
Yup a smith and wesson 1911 would look odd with colt medallions in the grips. But when you're shooting your hands cover em up so :shrug: Are you sure the grips you like aren't available without NH logo?

sammy
01-04-2010, 4:13 PM
I get so much greif from people about the mis-match grips on my Baer. I think they look fine and they work 100% better for me than the standard thin, smooth grips.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x183/carcrazysammy/DSC07113.jpg

yelohamr
01-04-2010, 4:17 PM
I have a S&W with Pachmayr grips. Have had Pachmayr on all my handguns for over 30 years. Besides, black goes with everything.

9mmepiphany
01-04-2010, 4:56 PM
...and for some reason folks laugh when they see a Honda Civic drive by with a gold plated Mercedes logo

...it's yours', dress it however you want

Buddhabelly
01-04-2010, 4:58 PM
I get so much greif from people about the mis-match grips on my Baer. I think they look fine and they work 100% better for me than the standard thin, smooth grips.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x183/carcrazysammy/DSC07113.jpg

You're aiming high.

:D

rero360
01-04-2010, 4:59 PM
I've been wanting a pair of Esmeralda grips for my 1911 for a long time now, I'd really want a set in desert ironwood but she almost never has any, so I'm torn between the cocobolo and the alderwood.

I say rock whatever grips you want.

sammy
01-04-2010, 5:26 PM
You're aiming high.

Funny thing is with the thin grips I was shooting lower and to the right. I seem to split the target in half which gets my shots a little high. Good enough for USPSA!!

Buddhabelly
01-04-2010, 5:54 PM
Funny thing is with the thin grips I was shooting lower and to the right. I seem to split the target in half which gets my shots a little high. Good enough for USPSA!!

Use 1 thin and 1 regular grip and you're gtg.

Just playing with you. Nice shooting.

louscamaro91
01-04-2010, 6:34 PM
Hey Sammy those are my grips for that Wilson!!! J/K, I'm a stickler about thing being uniform, stock and correct. I would be one of "those" guys that pointed out the mis matched grips..sorry that just me me kind of analytical

Buddhabelly
01-04-2010, 7:18 PM
Hey Sammy those are my grips for that Wilson!!! J/K, I'm a stickler about thing being uniform, stock and correct. I would be one of "those" guys that pointed out the mis matched grips..sorry that just me me kind of analytical

Gotta say, you say analytical, lots of people would say that is anal. (Short for analytical). Let people be/do what they want. One guy at the club told me at one time that I'd mounted my Harris bipod backwards. (With the legs towards the shooter when folded). I screamed at him that was how I wanted it and he needed to keep his friggin mouth shut and mind his own business. Needless to say we are not friends.

ncmavtgun
01-04-2010, 8:03 PM
Yup a smith and wesson 1911 would look odd with colt medallions in the grips. But when you're shooting your hands cover em up so :shrug: Are you sure the grips you like aren't available without NH logo?

The grips i want from NH is the aluminum Digital Desert Camo Grips. They have a big logo on the center of both grips. I've always like the digital camo look and i can't find any other brands that make them. Plus it will look really nice next to my Sig P226 with it's Digital Camo grips.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
I think i'll have to go and order them soon.:D

ncmavtgun
01-04-2010, 8:06 PM
http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/detail.aspx?ID=140

Here's the link to the Desert Digital Camo Grips.
They look really sweet!

Ducman
01-04-2010, 8:13 PM
have you tried contacting Alumagrips directly? they might be able to sell you one w/ out the logo, Unless it's an exclusive for NH.

louscamaro91
01-04-2010, 8:17 PM
I'm not the rude type of analytical but if you we're to ask me what I thought I will tell you the honest truth, not a sugar-coater.

twotap
01-04-2010, 8:57 PM
I have a s+w with houge raparounds on it..Don't care what others think .I like um

cmace22
01-04-2010, 9:00 PM
Some people dont mind but I would see it as putting BMW emblems on a mercedes. Just doesnt look right. Every one that knows who NH is will think its a night hawk. Do you alway want to be explaining what is really going on. Its your choice but I wouldnt mix and match. Buy some aftermarket grips from someone that doesnt make 1911's or from the manufacturer of your firearm. JMHO

PutTogether
01-04-2010, 10:58 PM
I was going to say "who cares" but the more I think about it, I really would feel weird with Wilson Combat logo grips on a Smith and Wesson, and vice versa. Obviously grips from a company that didn't actually make guns wouldn't count, but mis matched gun company logos would feel strange.

chickenfried
01-04-2010, 11:06 PM
ummm wow...:eek: One guy at the club told me at one time that I'd mounted my Harris bipod backwards. (With the legs towards the shooter when folded). I screamed at him that was how I wanted it and he needed to keep his friggin mouth shut and mind his own business. Needless to say we are not friends.

phamkl
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I'd rock Porsche wheels on a racing Subie. You wouldn't catch my daily driver or showcar dead with wheels from another automobile manufacturer.

Some people are saying that function precedes everything while others are saying that it'd be wrong to not look the part. Well, both assertions are true. The first question is whether this is a show gun or a race gun. Then you start weighing the oddness against the functionality. And then of course, there are companies that make grips specifically...

cmace22
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I'd rock Porsche wheels on a racing Subie. You wouldn't catch my daily driver or showcar dead with wheels from another automobile manufacturer.

Some people are saying that function precedes everything while others are saying that it'd be wrong to not look the part. Well, both assertions are true. The first question is whether this is a show gun or a race gun. Then you start weighing the oddness against the functionality. And then of course, there are companies that make grips specifically...

You got it. Plenty of people make great grips that wouldnt be considered false advertising i guess.

chickenfried
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Of course function over form. But unless you guys can think of a functional reason for digital camo grips on a stainless or dark colored 1911. This whole thread is about cosmetics.:p :p