PDA

View Full Version : Draco AK pistol where to shoot?

Stunnason
01-04-2010, 3:16 PM
I was planning on shooting this pistol at Los Altos rod and gun club, but I'm not sure if they allow this...they mention "no rifle with out a stock" but since the Draco pistol fires rifle rounds I dont know if that rule applies.

Where else has everyone fired this pistol at?...besides BLM land of course.

H2H
01-04-2010, 3:17 PM
well it's a pistol right ? :)

btw, the FN pistol and P90 rifle share also the same ammo.

reidnez
01-04-2010, 3:26 PM
If it was DROS'd as a pistol, it's a pistol in the eyes of the law. A range's individual policy is a different animal, and many ranges restrict weapons which the law allows. I'm not sure exactly what that policy is meant to target. My recommendation is to call ahead to the range, explain to them exactly what you have (a legally-configured, DROS'd-as-a-pistol Draco), and make sure it's acceptable. Otherwise, go somewhere else. BLM land certainly does not have a policy against Draco's ;)

sevans
01-04-2010, 3:31 PM
Plenty of Draco's at Chabot these days!

Gio
01-04-2010, 3:38 PM
Sunnyvale Range is near you and is Draco Friendly even allow Slings to be worn and used with them ;) Chabot is is also very Draco Friendly including Slings with them as well. Other than that I do not know who else around the Bay Area is AR/AK Pistol friendly :)

-Gio

NicolasP
01-04-2010, 4:25 PM
I have had no problems shooting my AR pistol at jackson arms in south sf. Shot my ptr91 there too on all on their 3 rifle lanes.

Stunnason
01-04-2010, 4:32 PM
I like going to Los Altos Rod and gun club because they offer tin can plinking at 40 and 100 yards. I like having fun at the range... blowing up 2 liters and soda cans is fun! :43:

they don't answer sometimes, but I will try to call them.

FTC
01-04-2010, 6:32 PM
ive seen ar pistols there in the tin can range (40yd).

gun_freek
01-04-2010, 7:26 PM
I was questioned about my ar pistol and my sig p556 by the r.m. at Los Altos R&G. His only concern was that they were registered as pistols, which they are so he was good with it. This only came about because two uninformed shooters at the range told him that I had illegal firearms. This happened last year on the 40 tin can.

Stormtrooperthunder
01-04-2010, 7:48 PM
slight hijack.

i love shooting at los altos, their manual trap and tin can range are pretty awesome, but the road getting their is killer... one car roads and the cliff :/.... is there an alternative route to get there (from San Jose)?

I was at Metcalf a while back and saw an AR pistol. t'was pretty sweet :D

vandal
01-04-2010, 9:26 PM
Shot my AK pistol at USI in Concord last week. Just had to persuade the rangemaster I was not going to shoot up the target frames. I shot on the rifle line from a table and rest, 50 yards to get my red dot dialed in. In the past I have shot it at 75 yards offhand and had no trouble hitting a 15" gong (different range.)

happy_gunner
01-04-2010, 9:43 PM
I always go to Los Altos R&G Club. I've seen AR pistol before, and I usually bring my AR and other EBRs, and my buddy bring his AK. Every now and then a RM will come and ask, as long as everything is good, they usually don't bother us. I they seem to be the most AR/AK friendly range I've been to.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-04-2010, 9:58 PM
+ 1 of LARG. Used to bring my former AR pistol there to shoot. They don't have problems with rifle cartridge pistols. Of course, you may annoy your neighbors with the blast and concussion from your Draco pistol.

RockinCali
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
BLM Land

Stunnason
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
slight hijack.

i love shooting at los altos, their manual trap and tin can range are pretty awesome, but the road getting their is killer... one car roads and the cliff :/.... is there an alternative route to get there (from San Jose)?

there is two ways from San jose...I think you went the way mapquest tells you to go. I exit los Gatos from hwy 17 and make my way to hwy 9.. get all the way up to the four corners where all the bike guys chill at and make a left. From there you just go straight and the range entrance will be on your right.

Stunnason
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the response guys! I talked to the staff there and they said its ok at the 40 yard tin can. I will just be curtious when I'm there by giving the RM a heads up about the muzzle blast so they can inform those who are thinking of standing next to me, :D

Flopper
01-05-2010, 1:04 PM

It was probably mine.

While I was there, some busybody rose a stink about me having an "SBR."

The rangemaster told him it was a pistol.

Nosy guy: well, then he should shoot it "like a pistol." (meaning not shouldering the buffer tube).

Rangemaster knew everything was legal but asked that I not shoulder it til he got an official policy.

I ended up putting it away so I wouldn't have to deal with an uninformed LEO-- I really don't want to have to pay 5 figures to prove that I was legal:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have to call Metcalf and see what the official policy ended up being, cuz I really wanna bring my little baby out to play again.

BTW-the whole AR pistol incident was an anomaly for Metcalf. Metcalf is a nice range, cheap, and the RM's are actually really cool. I still go there, but I haven't brought the AR pistol back yet.

Quiet
01-05-2010, 4:30 PM
AR pistols are not designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder.

The AR pistol's buffer tube should not be touching your shoulder.

Penal Code 12020
(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

18 USC 921
(a) As used in this chapter—
(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Flopper
01-05-2010, 6:09 PM
AR pistols are not designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder.

The AR pistol's buffer tube should not be touching your shoulder.

Penal Code 12020
(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

18 USC 921
(a) As used in this chapter—
(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

You cite 18 USC 921 as your reasoning for why the buffer tube should not be shouldered, yet the BATFE has no problem with AR pistols being fired from the shoulder.

The BATFE does not consider the buffer tube a stock, and even adding other accessories such as CAA Stock Saddles and rubber cane tips doesn't get them excited.

CABilly
01-05-2010, 9:51 PM
I've asked the ROs there about their policy on such things. I was told, "If it's legal for you to have, you can shoot it here."

It was probably mine.

While I was there, some busybody rose a stink about me having an "SBR."

The rangemaster told him it was a pistol.

Nosy guy: well, then he should shoot it "like a pistol." (meaning not shouldering the buffer tube).

Rangemaster knew everything was legal but asked that I not shoulder it til he got an official policy.

I ended up putting it away so I wouldn't have to deal with an uninformed LEO-- I really don't want to have to pay 5 figures to prove that I was legal:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have to call Metcalf and see what the official policy ended up being, cuz I really wanna bring my little baby out to play again.

BTW-the whole AR pistol incident was an anomaly for Metcalf. Metcalf is a nice range, cheap, and the RM's are actually really cool. I still go there, but I haven't brought the AR pistol back yet.