PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Handgun in for Repair

goodlookin1
01-04-2010, 9:00 AM
Hey guys,

I took out my new Springfield 1911 Milspec and shot 50 rounds of PMC and then my extractor latch snapped off! It completely stopped ejecting spent cases and would jam up. After noticing that the extractor latch snapped off, I called SA and they were very helpful. They sent me a Fedex label for return shipping. I have to go drop off the package at a Fedex location, but do I have to declare that the package contains a firearm? What are the rules for shipping a firearm through Fedex? The last thing I want is to have it confiscated or not make it to Springfield Armory for repair.

Should I do anything other than drop it off at a Fedex location like I would do with a normal package?

Thanks.

Shane916
01-04-2010, 9:03 AM
Hey guys,

I took out my new Springfield 1911 Milspec and shot 50 rounds of PMC and then my extractor latch snapped off! It completely stopped ejecting spent cases and would jam up. After noticing that the extractor latch snapped off, I called SA and they were very helpful. They sent me a Fedex label for return shipping. I have to go drop off the package at a Fedex location, but do I have to declare that the package contains a firearm? What are the rules for shipping a firearm through Fedex? The last thing I want is to have it confiscated or not make it to Springfield Armory for repair.

Should I do anything other than drop it off at a Fedex location like I would do with a normal package?

Thanks.

Just drop it off like a normal package. If you mention the word "gun" they will likely freak out a make you drive all the way out to a hub. Which, theoretically is where you are supposed to take it anyways ;)

NayaL8R
01-04-2010, 9:05 AM
The only difference when you ship a handgun is that 1) you have to tell them you are shipping it 2) You have to state the value of the gun 3) Request a signature for delivery confirmation. And that would be it. In my experience, as soon as I stated that I was shipping a handgun, the Fed Ex employee requested I disassemble the firearm to where it could not be fired. That's all.
Good luck with the repair and sorry to hear about the extractor.

NiteQwill
01-04-2010, 9:06 AM
Exactly as above.

Do not ship from an "authorized center," ship directly from a hub.

leelaw
01-04-2010, 9:15 AM
Ship from a FedEx hub, not a Kinkos/FedEx center.

You MUST declare the contents, and it must go via overnight service (but the tag should already specify that)

goodlookin1
01-04-2010, 9:28 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I found a hub very close to me, so that makes it a bit easier. I'll take the slide off just in case so that it is not considered "operational".

paul0660
01-04-2010, 9:33 AM
Fed Ex does this all the time. This site doesn't let me copy/paste, but is very complete:

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

I sent a gun back to Kahr from my local hub and they did not demand I break it down.

ke6guj
01-04-2010, 9:39 AM
Ship from a FedEx hub, not a Kinkos/FedEx center.

You MUST declare the contents, and it must go via overnight service (but the tag should already specify that)

Neither federal or state law require you to declare the contents because you are shipping the firearm to an FFL. Fedex may have a corporate policy that requires it, but it isn't backed up by law. Same goes for "overnight service", not required by law.

Since SA already gave you a label, you should be albe to just drop off the package at the local depot. You may want to have them scan it in immediately instead of just leaving it on the counter (like I do with my dad's monthly blood work). I don't know if they can provide a receipt or not, but if it is scanned in, you at least know it should be "live" in the system.

$P-Ritch$
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
When I had to send in my springfield 1911 the fedex people didn't seem to care at all when I told them I was shipping a firearm. They also gave me a receipt for the drop off and extra packaging upon request.

BTW- SA has incredible cust service. They told me mine would be gone for 4-6 weeks. I had it back in my hands 8 days later and the thing runs like a champ now. Not saying they will always be that fast, but I was thoroughly impressed.

tdaughg
01-04-2010, 5:56 PM
i just sent my 1911 in to fusion to have some work on it done a couple of weeks ago and sent it through ups. just like everyone else has said, it has to be a hub not a ups store location, overnight and you do need to declare it. again, ups rules not fed/state.

when i told the guy it was a gun he just asked if it was loaded or had any bullets in the box with it(neither are allowed) and if i wanted it insured. thats it, super easy.

dfletcher
01-04-2010, 6:10 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks.

As a practical matter, having the shipping label say "Springfield Armory" might be a bit of a giveaway. :cool:

I've always told the shipper exactly what was being sent, I really don't want to screw around with the whole "machine parts" bit - my luck, the first time I do it will be lost and I'll have to come up with my story, after which they'll find the damn thing. I've thus far never had a problem.

There are service centers all over the place, bring it in there and send it off. The people handling the gun treated it very routinely and BTW, there's a FedEx service center about 600 Market St next to Grant's Cigars and a stone's throw from Dianne Feinstein's office - I kind of like shipping out from there and getting it back at my office across the street.

FYI, don't buy insurance - Springfield has already done that with their label/account.

And BTW, my FedEx "overnight" package from South SF to Springfield took 5 days.

ke6guj
01-04-2010, 6:19 PM
As a practical matter, having the shipping label say "Springfield Armory" might be a bit of a giveaway. :cool:
A smart thing to do is to abreviate the name of the company so it says "SA, Inc", instead of "Springfield Armory". I think that Bushmaster uses BFI as their name on packages. Just helps to minimize random theft based on the name on the box.

CenterX
01-04-2010, 6:30 PM
Get a shipping box that your factory supplied pistol case fits snugly inside.
Take all the stuff out of the case except the padding and the gun.
If you dismantle (actually no need to do this), then wrap parts in bubble-wrap so they don't bang against each other.
Include a letter to customer service with a return address, phone number etc.
Seal the shipper up with good shipping tape like 3M.
Slap on the label.
Go to hub and tell them it is a firearm being returned to manufacturer and that you need a tracking number.
It's that simple.
Do not worry about it getting lost or stolen. But track it and verify it arrives, no need to call customer service.
You will be well taken care of.

Fjold
01-04-2010, 7:05 PM
Neither federal or state law require you to declare the contents because you are shipping the firearm to an FFL. Fedex may have a corporate policy that requires it, but it isn't backed up by law. Same goes for "overnight service", not required by law.

Since SA already gave you a label, you should be albe to just drop off the package at the local depot. You may want to have them scan it in immediately instead of just leaving it on the counter (like I do with my dad's monthly blood work). I don't know if they can provide a receipt or not, but if it is scanned in, you at least know it should be "live" in the system.

18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(2)(A) says:

922. Unlawful acts

(a)It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

ke6guj
01-04-2010, 7:14 PM
18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(2)(A) says:

922. Unlawful acts

(a)It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

I underlined the key part of the code section. If you are shipping to somebody other than a licensee, then you must declare it. but if you are shipping to one of those people I underlined, you don't have to declare it.

the FAQ that ATF has on the website ignores that part of the code. IIRC, people have contacted ATF about that omission, but ATF has not clarified the FAQ.