PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ban Transfers

stevenarita
01-04-2010, 1:48 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-ban AR rifle currently w/o bullet button and pre-ban magazines. Do I have to have this modified before purchasing? Or are pre-ban rifles exempt?

Thanks in advance.

(sorry, I think I put this in the wrong section)

littlejake
01-04-2010, 4:26 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-ban AR rifle currently w/o bullet button and pre-ban magazines. Do I have to have this modified before purchasing? Or are pre-ban rifles exempt?

Thanks in advance.

(sorry, I think I put this in the wrong section)

Yeah, this is the handgun forum...

There is no exemption for pre-ban AWs.

I believe you cannot transfer except to a LEO any assault weapon. If it's on the list defined by the first two AW bans, nothing can be done. If banned by feature, it may be possible for the present owner to remove the "evil" features to make it California compliant.

You say it is pre-ban; then it must be registered as an AW. That registration is not transferable.

Plus there is no exception to the ban on transferring Hi-Cap mags except to a LEO.

Disclaimer -- I am not a lawyer. When in doubt, spend a few dollars to get legal advice before doing a transfer you are in question about. It can save you thousands in legal fees later.

FloridaEllie
01-04-2010, 11:30 PM
So AR's are the rifles that our servicemen use to defend us, and yet they are banned here in America? I can't believe it and it's so sad that many of our soldiers might train night and day with these to protect us overseas, and then not be able own one to protect themselves or their families at home with the same guns.

I remember my first time voting was for Arnold. I don't even watch his movies because he uses so many guns and now we have him as our governor and guns like ar's are still not allowed. It's so disappointing and disheartening to learn these things that they don't even talk about in school. It makes me glad to have decided to start learning about guns myself and finally see what rights are really being taken away from you all!

Cokebottle
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
So AR's are the rifles that our servicemen use to defend us, and yet they are banned here in America?
No, just California and a couple of other states.

There are legal ways to own them, but the term "pre-ban/post-ban" doesn't really apply the way it did in the free states during the term of the Federal AW ban.

California has a list of banned receivers. If a receiver is on the list, it cannot be transferred. If it is not on the list, then it can be legally owned in one of two configurations... either "featureless", or with a "fixed" magazine, using a bullet button to release the magazine.

In either case, the high-capacity magazines can only be brought into California if the owner had them in the state prior to Jan 1, 2000 (and it need not be continuous). They can not be sold.
Secondly, in a bullet-button equipped AR, high-capacity magazines can never be used.

The "list" can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Okay... so you live in Florida and are planning to move to California, but you see a smoking deal on a "listed" AR like a Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, etc....
That's not a problem.
Before leaving Florida, buy the gun. Strip the receiver down. Buy a stripped lower that is not on the list ($100-$250 plus your local FFL transfer fees). Transfer the LPK, grip, buttstock, and upper onto the new lower, then replace the mag release with a bullet button, buy a box of 10rd magazines, and you can now legally import that gun into California when you move here.

Unit74
01-05-2010, 2:31 AM
Don't blame Arnie...

Boxer, Feinstien and the rest of the crack heads in Sac caused this debochal many years before Arnie.