PDA

View Full Version : Hi-point 380

Eddie1965
01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Any opinions on the Hi-Point 380? I'm interested in this gun just for the sake of adding it to my collection (one can never have too many guns). I've heard both good and bad things about them. Anybody own one?

bsg
01-04-2010, 1:34 AM
the only .380 guns i have owned have been older w german sig P230 models. i currently own a w german P230sl and it's a keeper. i wish i could advise you on the hi-point but don't feel qualified to do so.

five.five-six
01-04-2010, 1:51 AM
I have one in 9mm, haven't shot it much, but it seems to go bang every time, and puts the holes in the paper real close together, but it's uglier than a glock and it requires a drift and a hammer to disassemble it to clean it... so i just leave it dirty :p

Bobbar
01-04-2010, 2:44 AM
It has a lifetime warranty. Its ugly and heavy. but it will fire.

Good value at that price point

VegasND
01-04-2010, 4:38 AM
It's exactly the same gun as the 9mm. 9mm is cheaper, more powerful, and the gun is so large and heavy recoil from the 9mm is minimal. Why buy the .380?

Seriously; they work but that .380 has got to be the largest, clumsiest, (ugliest for the haters), heaviest .380 ever placed on the market.

TJCamro
01-04-2010, 6:06 AM
I owned the 380 for awhile, like the others said the Hi-Points arent terrible, I never had an issue with mine.

rod
01-04-2010, 6:15 AM
I keep my HP9 in my tackle box. As others have said, it's heavy and ugly, but it works like it's supposed to. Never had any problems with it, but if I did, it's covered under waranty. Best gun I ever bought for $89.

twotap
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Get it in 9mm .You will be happier. 380 ammo is hard to get and more expensive.

Bobbar
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
It should not be a HD/SD gun. Just a plinking, fun gun...

TJCamro
01-04-2010, 1:25 PM
It should not be a HD/SD gun. Just a plinking, fun gun...

+1.....

gun toting monkeyboy
01-04-2010, 2:11 PM
+1.....

+2

They are decent guns for the money. Not something I would trust my life to if I had a choice. But just about everybody I know that has had one like them. And if it were the only gun I had available, you can bet that I would take one over a pointy stick any day.:D

-Mb

Eddie1965
01-04-2010, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys, I have other guns for hd/sd. Just want to add it to my collection and have fun with it. And as for the 9mm vs .380 goes, I just want one more caliber to add to my logistics nightmare, lol.

Bobbar
01-04-2010, 8:38 PM
Why not a bersa thunder? I would look at that!
And I only have 3 calibers. And that's MORE then enough.
Either way! Stay safe and have fun!

FloridaEllie
01-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I shot a 380 at the firing range. I know this because I took home one bullet as a memento of my first time shooting. I loved it - it was so comfortable to shoot and for me, I felt the most accurate with it. It was a lot less scary than the glock I shot. Someone at the range told me that the gun I was shooting might not be strong enough to stop a large person. He said the 380 bullet wouldn't even make it thru thick clothing. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I don't know what kind of gun I was shooting. I'm posting a larger picture of my avatar - it's sitting right there on the counter. Can anyone tell me what it is? If you feel like it's a good gun, I might start to consider it for my 1st!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42014&d=1262722502

mif_slim
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I shot a 380 at the firing range. I know this because I took home one bullet as a memento of my first time shooting. I loved it - it was so comfortable to shoot and for me, I felt the most accurate with it. It was a lot less scary than the glock I shot. Someone at the range told me that the gun I was shooting might not be strong enough to stop a large person. He said the 380 bullet wouldn't even make it thru thick clothing. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I don't know what kind of gun I was shooting. I'm posting a larger picture of my avatar - it's sitting right there on the counter. Can anyone tell me what it is? If you feel like it's a good gun, I might start to consider it for my 1st!

I dunno. my uncle killed three robbers with a .25auto in a Titan. What do you think? shot placement. shot placement. shot placement.

Maplewood
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Someone with a Hi-Point .380 or 9mm please let this guy shoot theirs so he can get it out of his system and save a few dollars. If I still had mine old C-9 I would give it to you for a month to shoot, that should cure your lust for a Hi-Point.

FloridaEllie
01-05-2010, 1:03 PM
Someone with a Hi-Point .380 or 9mm please let this guy shoot theirs so he can get it out of his system and save a few dollars. If I still had mine old C-9 I would give it to you for a month to shoot, that should cure your lust for a Hi-Point.

does that mean it's bad?

Maplewood
01-05-2010, 3:08 PM
No, it's not bad, it's just not good. I have owned a Hi-Point and it was ok, but it was a 9mm, a .380 in the Hi-Point is really a waste of good money in my opinion. And I have owned a Hi-Point, a Sigma 9mm, and just bought a Raven .25 so I know a little about what people consider "sub-par" handguns. The finish of the Hi-Point is really my main problem, it's SO plasticky (and not in the good Glock way) and cheap looking, but it does work. I'm sure you can find a .380 in something a little more interesting in the private sales dept if you give it a week or so.

But if you just want a Hi-Point .380 and can get it cheap, why not I guess.

Hawkstrider
01-25-2010, 8:09 PM
Buy the 9mm, both are the same size and weight, 380 ammo cost too damn much and is hard to get these days, pay the extra 20 bucks and get the 9mm.
If you really want it, buy it. I mean always buy what you want but consider my words. I own both by the way.

tonelar
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
To our dear OP,
Gahd those Hi-Points are ugly guns... But they go bang every time and the company's customer service is remarkable. So, if you want one, get it. Have you looked for .380 acp lately?
Let me know where you find some. I've been looking for months with no success.

...I don't know what kind of gun I was shooting. I'm posting a larger picture of my avatar - it's sitting right there on the counter. Can anyone tell me what it is? If you feel like it's a good gun, I might start to consider it for my 1st!

Hard to tell, but it's angular and flat. Maybe a Gov't .380? Was it a single or double action? The Series 80 Gov't .380s are really accurate pistols.

dieselpower
01-26-2010, 4:58 PM
A buddy bought a 9mm the same time I bought my Firestorm .45. My Firestorm was $100 more and fell apart after 1000 rounds or so. I traded it for a Surefire M4 flashlight. After about 5000 rounds (5 years?) his started having problems, sending it out for service was more then just buying another one...guess what he did :)

Those guns hit every branch falling out of the ugly tree, but they shoot. For the first 250 rounds I wouldn't trust it with my life, nor after say 2500, but between those two figures...they are great pistols.

I am still going to buy a P6 though :)

C_1
01-26-2010, 5:06 PM
Why the 380? Thats just another caliber to stock up on. Plus, its more expensive than 9mm..

dl351
01-26-2010, 5:09 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a Hi-Point .380 and it's an alright gun. It goes bang like it's supposed to. It feels like it has a brick on top due to the slide's massive weight. I've had mine for a year and a half and don't shoot it much any more. It's not a bad gun and the warranty is great. If you want a cheap gun to plink with, then get it. However, due to the .380 ammo availability, I'd say go with the C9. More power and more ammo. If I could do it over, that's what I would have waited to get.

I've just been starting to see .380 ammo, but at $21 +tax per box, that's more than I care to pay.

bigthaiboy
01-26-2010, 5:16 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a Hi-Point .380 and it's an alright gun. It goes bang like it's supposed to. It feels like it has a brick on top due to the slide's massive weight. I've had mine for a year and a half and don't shoot it much any more. It's not a bad gun and the warranty is great. If you want a cheap gun to plink with, then get it. However, due to the .380 ammo availability, I'd say go with the C9. More power and more ammo. If I could do it over, that's what I would have waited to get.

I've just been starting to see .380 ammo, but at $21 +tax per box, that's more than I care to pay.

Hi, welcome to Calguns. I agree with what you said. IF I were ever to buy a .380, I would buy something much smaller than the Hi-Point, to take advantage of the main reason for shooting a .380, since it allows for a smaller, lighter gun than a 9mm.