PDA

View Full Version : Help with a S&W 64

matrix056
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
So I recently purchased a S&W model 64 SS, .38. It currently has a "pencil barrel" on it. Looks like this one:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/997483840/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/S_W_M_64_SS_4_Pencil_Barrel.htm

I want to change out the barrel to a "heavy barrel". I am not too familiar with wheelguns and would appreciate any help with this process. Any idea of what I can expect to pay and where to get one. Many thanks.

dfletcher
01-04-2010, 8:20 AM
Most Smith barrels are a "screw on & screw off" with of course some fitting required and care taken to not twist the frame, the ejector lock up needs to be properly fitted. The problem you may have switching from a thin to heavy barrel is the where the topstrap of the barrel meets the topstrap of the frame - the heavy barrel profile is different there than the pencil and the topstrap of the 64's frame may dip down a bit to meet the lower profile'd pencil barrel.

Just a bit of a guess, but I think you're in the $250.00 area including the cost of a barrel. I'm sure it could be done for less - perhaps you can score a used barrel from Numrich Arms for about $50.00 and get a gunsmith to do the fitting for $100.00 or so.

You may want to call Smith & Wesson to see if they offer the service and if the topstrap of the heavy barrel will line up properly with the frame.

El Gato
01-04-2010, 9:20 AM
I would call Smith...they have a restoration service and could likely change out the barrel and then rebuild the whole gun... neat service

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=18302&sectionId=11522

9mmepiphany
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
it isn't so much the different diameter of the barrel that becomes an issue, fitting a barrel is a bit more complicated than just screwing it on.

you have to first align it so the front sight is straight...this is one of the reasons S&W went to shrouded barrels...then you need to set the cylinder gap, and while you're at it there's always the headspace to adjust. fitting a new barrel to a revolver entails attaching and removing the barrel a number of times.

it's easier to have it fitted with a custom barrel