PDA

View Full Version : Handgun on a private fishing boat?

BadIndianSwamp
01-03-2010, 9:23 PM
I am wondering if automobile rules apply to boats when the boat is under way in the harbor and within three miles of the coast? I have a small 23' boat (no galley/no head) so the second home rules of larger boats would not apply.

I searched the Calguns forums and didn't find the question answered anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any response.

BIS

serrogate
01-03-2010, 9:31 PM
Is this to protect yourself against big fishies? I'm pretty sure the same rules apply especially since you can get a DUI in a boat.

Flopper
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
If you're fishing with a valid license, you can have a loaded handgun and carry it open or concealed.

Cokebottle
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
If you're fishing with a valid license, you can have a loaded handgun and carry it open or concealed.
Also, if it is a cabin cruiser, temporary residence status would also apply same as it would a motorhome or tent, particularly while on anchor/mooring.

Pig Rifle
01-04-2010, 12:05 AM

The fishing/hunting exemption applies only to 12025, and not 12031 Unless I'm mistaken. That means you would be allowed to carry concealed, but not loaded.

Also, FWIW, you might consider that loading is also allowed in a "temporary residence or campsite". So say for example you are sleeping over on your boat at anchor (NOT underway). Regardless of what amenities your vessel has, I would think that it would reasonably qualify. But this bit here is just my .02

picasso
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I am wondering if automobile rules apply to boats when the boat is under way in the harbor and within three miles of the coast? I have a small 23' boat (no galley/no head) so the second home rules of larger boats would not apply.

I searched the Calguns forums and didn't find the question answered anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any response.

BIS

In the "Summary Of California Gun Laws & Basic Safety Rules", it reads:
PC 12026.2 and 12027. The prohibition against carrying a concealable firearm concealed on the person or in a vehicle without a permit does not apply to:
(7) licensed hunters or fishermen while hunting or fishing or going to or coming from hunting or fishing.

Note: It doesn't say if it's loaded or not, but it's logical to assume that it's loaded.

Quiet
01-04-2010, 7:54 AM
Penal Code 12027
Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Glock22Fan
01-04-2010, 8:43 AM
PC 12025 (Concealed Firearms) is ONLY concerned about whether a firearm is concealed or not, PC 12031 (Loaded Firearms) is the code to look at if you want to know if it can be loaded or not.

If you want to carry concealed AND loaded, then you need to satisfy the requirements of both laws.

GuyW
01-04-2010, 9:01 AM
PC 12026.2 and 12027. The prohibition against carrying a concealable firearm concealed on the person or in a vehicle without a permit does not apply to:
(7) licensed hunters or fishermen while hunting or fishing or going to or coming from hunting or fishing.

Note: It doesn't say if it's loaded or not, but it's logical to assume that it's loaded.

Its not only NOT logical, it illegal unless you are ALSO in an area where loaded carry is legal.

Stick around - CA gun laws are not created via application of logic.....

davescz
01-04-2010, 10:34 AM

does this mean I can conceled carry a loaded gun when returning from a fishing trip? Does this mean I can carry a loaded hand gun in my car on the passenger seat or glove box if I am heading to a fishing trip?

this dont sound right to me, correct me If I am wrong.

seems to me if this is true, then I should carry a fishing pole and bait in my car any time I want to carry a loaded hand gun in my car in the glove box????
does this law supercede the school zone exclusion zones?

I just cant believe this law means what it says to me. where am I wrong???

thanks

Flopper
01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
does this mean I can caonceled carry a loaded gun when returning from a fishing trip? Does this mean I can carry a loaded hand gun in my car on the passenger seat or glove box if I am heading to a fishing trip?

seems to me if this is true, then I should carry a fishing pole and bait in my car any time I want to carry a loaded hand gun in my car in the glove box????

thanks

Thanks to Quiet, who already posted the PC that applies:

Penal Code 12027
Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms UNLOADED when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

paul0660
01-04-2010, 10:55 AM
The school zone law does not have an exception for coming from or going to hunting/fishing.

Baconator
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
So you can't carry on a boat for fear of being to close to a school of fish. HA HA HA :44:

picasso
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
does this mean I can conceled carry a loaded gun when returning from a fishing trip? Does this mean I can carry a loaded hand gun in my car on the passenger seat or glove box if I am heading to a fishing trip?

thanks

I interpret it this way (for which I do everytime I go hunting and/or fishing):

Fishing= From my house I place all my guns in the trunk, unloaded inside a gun case (locked or not doesn't matter-it's already in a lock container which is the trunk) to the boat. From my car to the boat I carry the gun cases with locks (I'm on the safe side here because I'm still in the city limits). Once inside the boat, I can already conceal carry while fishing.

Hunting= Same as fishing. From my car to the camping ground (normally primitive grounds) my guns are still in its cases. Once I set up my tent I put my guns inside and I can already conceal carry while hunting.

I reverse the process going back home.

That's just me. I don't know about others how they interpret the law.

Pig Rifle
01-04-2010, 7:49 PM
So you can't carry on a boat for fear of being to close to a school of fish. HA HA HA :44:

That's so terrible, it's hilarious!:laugh: