PDA

View Full Version : Got a comp virus, need some help!!

cgseanp1
01-03-2010, 4:44 PM
So my computer seems to have got some type of virus. I keeep getting a million pop ups, all saying something along the lines of me having a virus and spyware and it's just going really slow. I think this virus wants me to buy some kind of anti virus software to fix it. I have Mcafee and I keep doing scans, but it's not fixing this issue. This is my roomates computer, it's fairly old and still on XP i believe. Anyways, can someone recommend a good anti virus/spyware software that isn't too much money? THis computer isn't worth crap so I don't want to waste a lot of money, but I'd like to fix the issue.

Thanks

glock_this
01-03-2010, 4:45 PM
Kaspersky..

the guys that run their forum can source out any virus related issue and they are pretty responsive + I think they are Russian, so they are like hella smart

also, download their latest Virus product and use the 30 day demo and see what it finds.

Rwnielsen
01-03-2010, 4:47 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy
it's free
www.twocows.com
get it, update it and run it

and IMHO Mcafee is just a waste of resources

cgseanp1
01-03-2010, 4:49 PM
Kaspersky..

the guys that run their forum can source out any virus related issue and they are pretty responsive + I think they are Russian, so they are like hella smart

also, download their latest Virus product and use the 30 day demo and see what it finds.

Thanks, Im getting the 30 free day trial now.

glock_this
01-03-2010, 4:52 PM
I recommend Kaspersky to ALL my clients, friends, I run it, my family runs it.

If you use it see what it finds and then if issues still, go to their forum and I am telling you, they will tell you exactly what to do - even if it requires software other than theirs - to eradicate it. But often, they recommend free products to eradicate, in conjunction with theirs, and then when your squared away just run theirs for protection.

Also, at the end of the 30 days, you can get activation keys from eBay dirt cheap and legal.

ojisan
01-03-2010, 5:39 PM
Related topic: my good old 81 year old Mom called me from San Diego this morning to say she has some sort of virus on her PC.
It's some sort of pop-up window that claims she has 22-49 viruses on her PC and they want $100 to "fix" it.
She can't close the window to get to the desktop, a shut down and reboot opens to the same thing, the three fingered salute just gets a ping sound.
Even unplugged at the wall from the internet, it still comes up first when starting up.
How to fix?

Corbin Dallas
01-03-2010, 5:44 PM
Download this on a clean PC, burn to CD and boot on infected PC.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Done.

glock_this
01-03-2010, 5:45 PM
she MUST be able to boot into safe mode at least?

then, you must approach diagnosis and eradication from that route.

I would go to Kaspersky's forums and post that up or search for it as people will help you there.

Turo
01-03-2010, 5:47 PM
So my computer seems to have got some type of virus. I keeep getting a million pop ups, all saying something along the lines of me having a virus and spyware and it's just going really slow. I think this virus wants me to buy some kind of anti virus software to fix it. I have Mcafee and I keep doing scans, but it's not fixing this issue. This is my roomates computer, it's fairly old and still on XP i believe. Anyways, can someone recommend a good anti virus/spyware software that isn't too much money? THis computer isn't worth crap so I don't want to waste a lot of money, but I'd like to fix the issue.

Thanks

This sounds like more than one virus and possibly more than one trojan. I know that the antiviri that you buy in the store are pretty good, but I would grab a few free ones off the net before actually paying for something you don't need to. Avira Antivir is a great one, along with AVG free (although the latter can sometimes be a strain on resources.)
Also, when dealing with multiple viri and trojans one one PC, it's often much easier and simpler to just wipe the slate clean and reinstall windows. It should be done once every year, or two years on most personal PCs anyway.

Related topic: my good old 81 year old Mom called me from San Diego this morning to say she has some sort of virus on her PC.
It's some sort of pop-up window that claims she has 22-49 viruses on her PC and they want $100 to "fix" it.
She can't close the window to get to the desktop, a shut down and reboot opens to the same thing, the three fingered salute just gets a ping sound.
Even unplugged at the wall from the internet, it still comes up first when starting up.
How to fix?

Try starting up in safe mode first. If that doesn't work, I would reinstall windows. If it does, then run your antivirus from there and take it out. It gets rid of any virus out there, and only requires a few hours of work to reinstall the various necessary programs.

Corbin Dallas
01-03-2010, 5:50 PM
I recommend Kaspersky to ALL my clients, friends, I run it, my family runs it.

If you use it see what it finds and then if issues still, go to their forum and I am telling you, they will tell you exactly what to do - even if it requires software other than theirs - to eradicate it. But often, they recommend free products to eradicate, in conjunction with theirs, and then when your squared away just run theirs for protection.

Also, at the end of the 30 days, you can get activation keys from eBay dirt cheap and legal.

I don't much care for Kaspersky anymore after watching the program load down a win7 machine to the point at which I would rather be using WinME and the fact that Kaspersky can't keep up with defs on their rescue system.

The price also really keeps me away, but I love free stuff, so anything with a price tag for AV sucks in my book.

cgseanp1
01-03-2010, 5:58 PM
frustrating to say the least. I downloaded the Kaspersky stuff, then while I was doing a computer scan, the whole computer shut down. Luckily, it turned back on. I did a "quick" scan, and it found nothing.

Here is a pop up that I just got " WARNING- Attention! System detected a potential hazard (TrojanSPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable files. You private information and PC safefy is at risk. To get rid of unwanted spyware and keep your computer safe you need to update your current security software. Click OK to download official intrusion detection system (IDS software)."

I wasn't sure if this was a real windows alert or a fake, but after thoroughly reading it, they said "you" instead of "your" where I bolded it, so I guess this is a virus as well.

I keep getting this "Internet security 2010" thing that is coming up. I also can't tell if this is a real computer program, or another virus trying to get me to buy something. Well, either way it wants me to buy something to "fix" my computer.

When I restart the computer, the first pop up I get says something along the lines of me having some trojan worm something or other.
I guess Ill post on the kapersky forum.s

cgseanp1
01-03-2010, 6:05 PM
Now I am getting a 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem pop up saying

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\6334.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dce IP blahblah Choose 'close' to terminate application.

ojisan
01-03-2010, 6:06 PM
Thanx, CD!
:)

jchen76@gmail.com
01-03-2010, 7:23 PM
Sounds like a virus I got recently, similar symptoms. The virus was a pain to get rid of, it would recognize the executable names of the most common anti virus/spyware and block them.

Used this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ to get rid of the virus.

Flogger23m
01-03-2010, 8:01 PM
Some specs on the computer would be nice. Operating system, CPU, RAM, how old, ect.

Download the following:

Avira Free (anti virus)
Super Anti Spyware/Adware Free (anti spy/adware)

Also, there are two less complete online scanners (require internet to use) that I like. Both are very effective for anti virus:

ESET online scanner
Panda Security online scanner

Run those, and hopefully they will find the problem

Now I am getting a 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem pop up saying

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\6334.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dce IP blahblah Choose 'close' to terminate application.

Before Windows loads up?

If so, when the computer is starting up (before Windows loads), boot into safe mode.

If you can not get into Windows even in safe mode, your OS is likely messed up so bad, that it can not be fixed, or will cost a lot.

Corbin Dallas
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
frustrating to say the least. I downloaded the Kaspersky stuff, then while I was doing a computer scan, the whole computer shut down. Luckily, it turned back on. I did a "quick" scan, and it found nothing.

Here is a pop up that I just got " WARNING- Attention! System detected a potential hazard (TrojanSPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable files. You private information and PC safefy is at risk. To get rid of unwanted spyware and keep your computer safe you need to update your current security software. Click OK to download official intrusion detection system (IDS software)."

I wasn't sure if this was a real windows alert or a fake, but after thoroughly reading it, they said "you" instead of "your" where I bolded it, so I guess this is a virus as well.

I keep getting this "Internet security 2010" thing that is coming up. I also can't tell if this is a real computer program, or another virus trying to get me to buy something. Well, either way it wants me to buy something to "fix" my computer.

When I restart the computer, the first pop up I get says something along the lines of me having some trojan worm something or other.
I guess Ill post on the kapersky forum.s

It's a fake.

Google "Internet Security 2010" and you'll find TONS of people that are having the same problem.

I use Avira Rescue CD (as mentioned in an earlier post of mine) on a USB bootable drive and it has found a good number of trojans, malware, etc...

The reason I use this over other is because the Avira run on a Linux Distro which winblows virus coding cannot attack. Not only that, but if you are lucky enough to have a laptop or PC that Avira has built in the network drivers for, you can do an online update to the rescue CD and get the lastest definitions.

As far as how to keep them out, I personally run Avira and Windows Defender. So far I have not ended up with anything nasty. (knock on wood)

Also, both programs are completely free.

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?part=dl-10322935&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11012914