View Full Version : Liablity coverage.

01-03-2010, 2:11 AM
Let's assume that you have a legal CCW permit, you find yourself in a situation where you have to defend yourself and you shoot someone.

At this point you are in deep criminal/civil trouble. I know the NRA has a program that will reimburse you AFTER the FACT.

What I want to know is does anyone have information on any insurance they can get that will provide some funding so that if you get into a shooting that you can have some funding for an attorney.

Most of us don't have 20K to 50K laying around for a defense attorney, so a insurance plan that would provide legal coverage could make the difference between you walking and going to jail for a long time.

If anyone has such insurance, could you share how much it costs you per year to maintain?

This will become a more widespread issue, especially Post Sykes.


01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Nicki, I don't have an answer for you but that's a darn good question! I'd be interested in seeing some responses.

Big Jake
01-04-2010, 6:04 AM
As an NRA member I know there are some programs available. I don't have details, however, once I a wheile I get an NRA e-mail about this very subject. You can contact them.

01-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Recently completed the SBDC CCW class. The instructor informed us of Umbrella Insurance Policies that could help us in a situation like you described. After investigating with several companies, I decided to purchase a 1,000,000 policy through my Farmers agent at a cost of $275.00 per year. The cost is complicated because the liability limits you have on your current policy may need raised. I wound up switching my Auto Policy from Auto Club to Farmers, adding the Umbrella Policy, and I'm still saving $300 per year over what paid last year. The multi policy discounts really add up. I didn't tell them specifically that I wanted coverage relating to CCW or Firearms, just that I wanted increased coverage in case of injury or ? Good idea anyway. What happens when you hit that new Mazerati or Bentley jamming on the brakes on the freeway? Bet his brakes work better than yours!

01-06-2010, 12:10 AM
There are several options out there, other than standard Insurance. Pre-Paid Legal Services can provide access to an attorney, and discounted fees if you need to retain one.


A nationwide organization called The Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC was established by Marty & Gila Hayes, to provide educational materials covering the use of deadly force, how to interact with law enforcement, and exclusive access to network affiliated attorney's and court-recognized legal experts, and possible financial assistance with legal fees

Check them out at www.armedcitizensnetwork.org


01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
There are really 2 issues at stake here. First is your criminal defense and secondly is your civil defense. It is going to be two separate issues.

As a licensed California Insurance Agent and a long-time CCW holder I can answer the 2nd part of that the civil defense.

You have to be very careful with the insurance company and specifically the policy language that the company uses to make sure you have the broadest coverage available. Some umbrella policies cover only what is specifically stated in the policy. You want an umbrella coverage that covers everything that is not specifically excluded. See the difference?

You are also going to want wording in that policy... Most policies are going to have exclusion wording for something like: Excludes intentional acts of the insured even if that damage to person or property is beyond what was intended.

You want to make sure that your policy includes coverage wording with something to the effect, ""Bodily injury" resulting from the use of reasonable force by an insured in protection of persons or property".

Your umbrella will also include the cost of the "legal defense" of any civil suit brought against your for a covered or better yet not excluded peril.

I wrote a little more in-depth blog last week on this, http://www.crosbyandcrosby.com/what-kind-of-insurance-coverage-should-i-have-for-a-concealed-carry-permit-or-ccw/

I am always glad to answer any questions relating to insurance and 2nd amendment issues in California or Idaho.

01-14-2010, 8:17 AM
Good question will look into if I can ever get a CCW.

The Original Godfather
01-22-2010, 1:54 AM
Make sure you go with an insurance company that will actually pay the claims, especially when you're in need of hundreds if not millions of dollars! I have a printout of the "Ten Worst Insurance Companies in America" sitting on my desk beside me as I type this.

The AAJ (American Association of Justice) has compiled a report from "court documents, as well as records from the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and state insurance departments. They also looked at news reports and testimony from the insurers’ former agents and adjusters."

Here is a copy of the report:

Quick rundown of 10 Worst (worst appearing first):

4.State Farm
8.United Health
10.Liberty Mutual

According to the AAJ, the report finds these insurance companies to "Raise Premiums, Deny Claims and Refuse Insurance to Those Who Need It Most". Now, that's something you don't want from an insurance company when trying to receive benefits/pay out after a self defense situation that's already contestable...

Read for yourself.