PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: HK USP Tactical (.45 ACP)

NERVOUS
01-03-2010, 2:48 AM
I tried searching, but did not find this particular question asked before. Can the threaded barrel in a USP Tactical (.45 ACP) be replaced with the barrel from a USP Expert (.45 ACP)?

According to the HK website there is only a 0.1" difference in length (5.09" vs. 5.19"), but I am not sure about the rest of the relevant dimensions involved.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/pistols.asp

Perhaps someone that owns both guns could do a test fitment to confirm compatibility between the two barrels.

Thank you.

NERVOUS
01-03-2010, 1:26 PM
I don't have the two to compare anymore but the problem in dimensions will be the slide length and the o-ring placement.

The main concern would be the length at which the barrel o-ring is located in relation to the slide length. I would think that since the slide lengths are different, the o-ring placement would also be different. If you're trying to make a Tactical CA Legal there are several options. You can:

Buy an aftermarket barrel.

Shave off the threads on the original barrel (or buy a spare factory tac barrel) or cut them off. I assume you're trying to avoid doing this:)

Purchase the USP Match Barrel and either cut the length or leave the length.

I also heard that there is "Custom Sport" USP that was released outside the US that is just like the tactical but without threads. That's probably the barrel you want.

Thank you for the reply HK45 GUY.

You are correct about me trying to make a USP Tactical CA legal. In addition to being a damn good pistol this particular USP Tactical was my first gun. Suffice to say, it has a great deal of sentimental value to me.

That being said, I would like to avoid using an aftermarket barrel if at all possible. I refuse (on the basis of principle) to shave the threads off of the serial number matched barrel. In fact, I am somewhat reluctant to shave the threads off of a replacement USP Tactical barrel. Unfortunately, this is starting to look like my only suitable option.

I like your idea about the USP Custom Sport... I will definitely check into that as an option.

In either case, I called and emailed HK late last week. Hopefully, they will get back to me with a viable solution. I will post updates as they occur.

Thanks again.

NERVOUS
01-04-2010, 4:49 PM
UPDATE: I called HK Customer Service this morning. They asked me to call back next week because they are closed this week for inventory purposes. :mad:

djleisure
01-04-2010, 5:01 PM
UPDATE: I called HK Customer Service this morning. They asked me to call back next week because they are closed this week for inventory purposes. :mad:

:rofl2:
Yeah, that sounds about right. :cool:

NERVOUS
01-07-2010, 4:20 PM
I got an email response from HK customer support. Apparently, the USP Expert and USP Elite barrels will not work properly in the USP Tactical. The comments HK45 GUY made regarding the location of the o-ring in relation to the slide are accurate.

The suggestions I got from HK customer support to legalize a USP Tactical were:

- Buy a USP Tactical barrel and somehow remove the threads. This option retains the o-ring functionality and (assuming you do not cut the threaded section of the barrel off) the overall length of the original USP Tactical barrel.

- Buy a standard full size USP barrel. This option does away with the o-ring functionality and the overall length of the original USP Tactical barrel.

- Buy an aftermarket barrel. This option includes multiple vendors (i.e. Jarvis, etc) with various configurations, but as far as I could tell there are no aftermarket barrels with the HK trademark polygonal bore.

I will more than likely purchase a USP Tactical barrel and have the threads professionally removed. My intention is to maintain as much OEM form and function as possible while still complying with the leagal reguirements of the state of CA.

Can anyone recommend a gun smith that can remove the threads from a USP Tactical barrel?