PDA

View Full Version : Oregon law a little easier on handgunners?

qswdef
01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
A synopsis of Oregon handgun laws please. Foe example, high cap mags. Does have a Handgun roster similar to Cali? i'll be checking with the sheriff in the county I'm moving to see what's necessary for CCW. If you have thoughts on how Ore differs from Cali generally, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. For example, as much as I love ar's, for my intended use ( 2 week back packing in wilderness areas)I need the lightest(yet reliable) semi auto 5.56 i can get. The Kel tec su-16C (not Cali approved) would be perfect.
Thanks

1JimMarch
01-03-2010, 1:21 AM
Shall issue CCW if you're a resident. You can do loaded open carry, but in some cities that needs a CCW permit. No roster.

One big warning: the Multnomah County Sheriff's office are not necessarily good people. Portland PD is an order of magnitude worse, quite possibly the worst law enforcement agency per capita in the US. I am NOT kidding here...I've heard more truly ghastly horror stories out of that agency than damn near any other, with the possible exception of Maricopa County AZ and even then, the problem in Maricopa is the sheriff himself, the street deputies are mostly OK.

If it's at ALL possible, have nothing whatsoever to do with Portland PD.

halifax
01-03-2010, 2:38 AM
A synopsis of Oregon handgun laws please. Foe example, high cap mags. Does have a Handgun roster similar to Cali? i'll be checking with the sheriff in the county I'm moving to see what's necessary for CCW. If you have thoughts on how Ore differs from Cali generally, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. For example, as much as I love ar's, for my intended use ( 2 week back packing in wilderness areas)I need the lightest(yet reliable) semi auto 5.56 i can get. The Kel tec su-16C (not Cali approved) would be perfect.
Thanks

Shall issue for residents. No roster, high capacity mags no problem. No AW bans, NFA allowed.

Enjoy it while it lasts though. Everything good seems to be under attack from the same California-esque, uber-liberal, anti-everything crowd we enjoy so much here. From hunting to property-rights, it's all in peril. The politics of Portland, Salem, Eugene, and now Bend are ruining an otherwise free state. The biggest problem I see is that the regular folk don't think it can happen up there and, hence, aren't taking a stand now. Hell, many don't even vote.

dfletcher
01-03-2010, 6:18 AM
I've been visiting southern OR for the past 15 years, friends live there. From what I see they don't like the CA folks moving north. I spend most of my time in Grants Pass and Merlin.

Cash & carry on gun purchases, no hi cap regulations to speak of, no roster, no AW laws. I was at the Josephine County gun club a few months ago, fellow showed up with a full auto ruger Mini 14 - no one paid much attention to it.

While accompanying friends hunting, I've carried a 41 or 44 Magnum revolver several times a year up there with no one taking any interest. Again, this is all in southern CA, out in the woods and far away from any residential areas.

littlejake
01-03-2010, 7:33 AM
Portland PD is an order of magnitude worse, quite possibly the worst law enforcement agency per capita in the US. I am NOT kidding here...I've heard more truly ghastly horror stories out of that agency than damn near any other, with the possible exception of Maricopa County AZ and even then, the problem in Maricopa is the sheriff himself, the street deputies are mostly OK.

If it's at ALL possible, have nothing whatsoever to do with Portland PD.

There are gun owners in Portland and I know a couple. I have to agree that Portland is very unfriendly to gun owners. Portland is a liberal mecca filled with CA rejects.

Worse yet, if you cross the river you are in the state of WA; and folks in Portland have made the mistake of buying guns across the river... Naturally that makes for a federal crime unless its a C&R gun and the person has a C&R license.

1JimMarch
01-03-2010, 8:51 AM
There are gun owners in Portland and I know a couple. I have to agree that Portland is very unfriendly to gun owners. Portland is a liberal mecca filled with CA rejects.

They're unfriendly to *anybody*. And often corrupt and violent as well.

This was my run-in:

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/johnlaws

elSquid
01-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Just an FYI. There's a decent sized annual full-auto shoot held at the Albany Rifle and Pistol club.

http://www.arpc.info/sbmgs.php

It's a heck of a lot of fun!

If I was moving to Oregon, I'd definitely buy something select fire once there. :D

-- Michael

Blackmon
01-12-2010, 9:21 PM
Reading this makes me miss Portland and my AK. I had my CCW through Washington County. It was easy to get and the folks who worked the CCW office were really friendly.
The PTSC http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/sheriff/pstc.jsp is a great indoor range ran by Clackamas County Sheriffs. They have full auto classes, CCW classes, and lots of training classes.

chuckdc
01-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the information. I was going to ask something similar, as I'm looking at a potential move there, if I score the job I just applied for with the Oregon State Police.

cineski
01-14-2010, 8:21 AM
I'm going to Oregon in February. What's the possibility of getting a non-resident Oregon CCW? I'm just starting to search around for info.

J-cat
01-14-2010, 8:52 AM
I've heard more truly ghastly horror stories out of that agency than damn near any other, with the possible exception of Maricopa County AZ and even then, the problem in Maricopa is the sheriff himself, the street deputies are mostly OK.

Whas the problem with Sheriff Joe?

Legasat
01-14-2010, 9:08 AM
Whas the problem with Sheriff Joe?

Excellent Question! What's the problem with Sheriff Joe?

ilvwhtgrls
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Interesting thread, the GF and I were talking about moving to Portland in the future. STI here I come!

CAL.BAR
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I've been visiting southern OR for the past 15 years, friends live there. From what I see they don't like the CA folks moving north. I spend most of my time in Grants Pass and Merlin.

Cash & carry on gun purchases, no hi cap regulations to speak of, no roster, no AW laws. I was at the Josephine County gun club a few months ago, fellow showed up with a full auto ruger Mini 14 - no one paid much attention to it.

While accompanying friends hunting, I've carried a 41 or 44 Magnum revolver several times a year up there with no one taking any interest. Again, this is all in southern CA, out in the woods and far away from any residential areas.

There are NO native Oregonians (at least I haven't found one yet) I've been up there at least 4-5 times and after a while everyone I meet eventually admits they (or their parents) came from CA.