PDA

View Full Version : If you can issue an HSC do you need an HSC?

crackerman
01-03-2010, 12:44 AM
My PC 832 certificate is going to expire soon, and I just became an NRA pistol instructor which allows me to apply to administer the HSC. My question is if I can issue HSC after a proper test do I need one my self or is their an exemption for HSC teachers?

CSDGuy
01-03-2010, 1:18 AM
Your PC 832 Firearms training should be good for life as an exemption to the HSC. Incidentally, that list is the entire list of who is exempt from the HSC... I do NOT see Firearms / HSC Instructor on this list.

Here's the law:

PC12807. (a) The following persons, properly identified, are exempted
from the handgun safety certificate requirement in subdivision (b)
of Section 12801:
(1) Any active or honorably retired peace officer, as defined in
Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2.
(2) Any active or honorably retired federal officer or law
enforcement agent.
(3) Any reserve peace officer, as defined in Section 832.6.
(4) Any person who has successfully completed the course of
training specified in Section 832.
(5) A firearms dealer licensed pursuant to Section 12071, who is
acting in the course and scope of his or her activities as a person
licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(6) A federally licensed collector who is acquiring or being
loaned a handgun that is a curio or relic, as defined in Section
478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, who has a
current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the
department pursuant to Section 12071.
(7) A person to whom a handgun is being returned, where the person
receiving the firearm is the owner of the firearm.
(8) A family member of a peace officer or deputy sheriff from a
local agency who receives a firearm pursuant to Section 50081 of the
Government Code.
(9) Any individual who has a valid concealed weapons permit issued
pursuant to Section 12050.
(10) An active, or honorably retired member of the United States
Armed Forces, the National Guard, the Air National Guard, the active
reserve components of the United States, where individuals in those
organizations are properly identified. For purposes of this section,
proper identification includes the Armed Forces Identification Card,
or other written documentation certifying that the individual is an
active or honorably retired member.
(11) Any person who is authorized to carry loaded firearms
pursuant to subdivision (c) or (d) of Section 12031.
(12) Persons who are the holders of a special weapons permit
issued by the department pursuant to Section 12095, 12230, 12250, or
(b) The following persons who take title or possession of a
handgun by operation of law in a representative capacity, until or
unless they transfer title ownership of the handgun to themselves in
a personal capacity, are exempted from the handgun safety certificate
requirement in subdivision (b) of Section 12801:
(1) The executor or administrator of an estate.
(2) A secured creditor or an agent or employee thereof when the
firearms are possessed as collateral for, or as a result of, or an
agent or employee thereof when the firearms are possessed as
collateral for, or as a result of, a default under a security
agreement under the Commercial Code.
(3) A levying officer, as defined in Section 481.140, 511.060, or
680.260 of the Code of Civil Procedure.
(4) A receiver performing his or her functions as a receiver.
(5) A trustee in bankruptcy performing his or her duties.
(6) An assignee for the benefit of creditors performing his or her
functions as an assignee.

1rubicon
01-03-2010, 6:14 AM
Hope this helps. Certificate only good for 3 years unless employed as an officer.

Tests

The Arrest component includes a 100-question, multiple-choice written examination and several skill examinations on Arrest and Control Techniques. The Firearms component includes a firearms range qualification examination. All tests are graded pass/fail, with one retest opportunity per examination. If a retest is failed, the corresponding component of the PC 832 Course must be repeated in its entirety.

Requalification Requirement (Three Year Rule)

As specified in Commission Regulation 1080 (doc), requalification of PC 832 training is required before exercising peace officer powers when:

An individual does not become employed as a peace officer within three years of successful completion of PC 832 training, or
An individual, completes PC 832 training, and subsequently has a three-year-or-longer break in service as a peace officer.
To requalify, an individual must successfully complete PC 832 Arrest and Firearms Requalification.
Information

http://www.post.ca.gov/Training/pc832.asp

PolishMike
01-03-2010, 6:50 AM
Your nra pistol cert does NOT allow you to administer the hsc exam. It allows you to apply to the state for the ability to become an hsc administrator.

Old Timer
01-03-2010, 8:17 AM
An hsc instructor card has the hsc card on the back.

Quiet
01-03-2010, 8:22 AM
The PC832 certification is only good for three years when dealing with POST issues.
But, as an HSC exemption, the PC832 certification does not have an expiration. Once, you have it, you are good for life or until the change the law.

fairfaxjim
01-03-2010, 8:22 AM
Your nra pistol cert does NOT allow you to administer the hsc exam. It allows you to apply to the state for the ability to become an hsc administrator.

Correct. That is what i did, and they will pretty much issue the Instructor's cert based on the NRA cert and your $$. It is good for 5 years, just the same as the regular HSC. The instructors cert is also an HSC, you aren't exempt, you have an HSC, just one that allows you to administer the tests and issue cards.

Keep in mind that there are annual reporting requirements, record keeping requirements, etc. that goes with the HSC instructor's cert. Also you have to buy HSC certs in lots of 10 for $15 - $150.00 out of pocket to you until you issue them and get paid from the person you issue to. You also have to buy (or download and print) the booklets for anyone that wishes to study for the test (I personally wouldn't want to issue one to someone who had to study for the test.) You also have to re-issue lost certs that are still valid for the $15.00 out of pocket cost - you don't get paid for that one. Oh, by the way, you get to charge a whopping $10 for your time.

Still interested? Fill out the form and send it in with the money and you will get the package. If you have any questions, the DOJ staff that takes care of HSC stuff seems to be pretty helpful and efficient.

Have fun.

crackerman
01-03-2010, 9:51 AM
Hmm did not know that PC832 did not expire for the exemption. Nice and I did not know that, guess it will save me a little money. I did not know the reporting requirements either.

Mike I actually did know that, if you reread my post I did say allows me to apply to administer the test.

PolishMike
01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Hmm did not know that PC832 did not expire for the exemption. Nice and I did not know that, guess it will save me a little money. I did not know the reporting requirements either.

Mike I actually did know that, if you reread my post I did say allows me to apply to administer the test.

You would think that upon graduating college I would be able to read ;)

I think it would be cheaper for you in the long run to get a run of the mill HSC IF your exemption expires.

Glock22Fan
01-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Gosh, how many dollars are we talking about here? Is it really worth the bother to try to avoid spending the cost of a couple of Starbucks coffee on a ten minute test so simple that there's no need (for most of us) to do any preparation?

crackerman
01-03-2010, 3:15 PM
Is it really worth the bother to try to avoid spending the cost of a couple of Starbucks coffee on a ten minute test so simple that there's no need (for most of us) to do any preparation?

I know its only 11 dollar difference to be certified to teach the exam and get my own card, but with all the other fees, taxes etc. it more about principal that the state needs not get any more money from me than they already do.

If I get the cert to administer the test I will donate the 11 bucks to CGF.

rkt88edmo
01-03-2010, 4:03 PM
I renew my HSC instructor card because it is cheaper and I can do it from home rather than going to an FFL and taking the HSC.

I did buy the pamphlets and HSCs, I've only administered the HSC test and issued them to friends, family, and calgunners.

thedrickel
01-03-2010, 5:30 PM
I renew my HSC instructor card because it is cheaper and I can do it from home rather than going to an FFL and taking the HSC.

I did buy the pamphlets and HSCs, I've only administered the HSC test and issued them to friends, family, and calgunners.

Same here. If anybody wants HSCs for 15$, PM me.

You could always issue yourself an HSC before your instructor cert expires, then you're good for another 5 years :) (altho I suspect the HSC will either go away or morph back into something more permanent, like the BFSC, before my instructor cert expires in 4 years)