PDA

View Full Version : Promoting a gun owner's opinion - Paintball

not-fishing
01-02-2010, 10:00 PM
My Marine son (#2) was home for the holidays. This was a big Christmas for us as he will be deployed July thru next Christmas.

#2 son had taken his younger brother Paintballing for the first time last weekend as a favor to me. The both boys had fun along with a couple of college friends of the older boys. I ended up taking the boys and a non-shooting college student friend to a low key park today. It was a great day.

Now I must say it's been nearly two decades since I last played paintball. I was the oldest at the park by at least 10 years and I could have easily been the grandfather of many of the players. Lord do I hurt and I'm going to hurt more tomorrow

After the 'games' were done, on the way home, the College friend talked a little about firearms. He was receptive about the smaller arms but had heard the all the anti-gun arguements on the 50 BMG. So we talked. I gave him the usual "if you ban large caliber you'll be banning revolutionary war guns", the other facts (50's I know are mainly used for match shooting, 50 are basically heavy & expensive toys) and that really good shooter can do most of the same long range shooting with a .338 Lapua.

Finally I told him that if you were close enough to hit an 'Airliner with a 50' an anti gunner lie I could hit it with my '03 30.06 so the real reason to ban the 50 is to ban guns.

Maybe next year when my #2 son is back in the states I'll take a few of his college friends to the 500m steel target range at Sac Valley and give some younger minds a little different perspective - to promote the 2nd.

jdogg2000
01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
My Marine son (#2) was home for the holidays. This was a big Christmas for us as he will be deployed July thru next Christmas.

#2 son had taken his younger brother Paintballing for the first time last weekend as a favor to me. The both boys had fun along with a couple of college friends of the older boys. I ended up taking the boys and a non-shooting college student friend to a low key park today. It was a great day.

Now I must say it's been nearly two decades since I last played paintball. I was the oldest at the park by at least 10 years and I could have easily been the grandfather of many of the players. Lord do I hurt and I'm going to hurt more tomorrow

After the 'games' were done, on the way home, the College friend talked a little about firearms. He was receptive about the smaller arms but had heard the all the anti-gun arguements on the 50 BMG. So we talked. I gave him the usual "if you ban large caliber you'll be banning revolutionary war guns", the other facts (50's I know are mainly used for match shooting, 50 are basically heavy & expensive toys) and that really good shooter can do most of the same long range shooting with a .338 Lapua.

Finally I told him that if you were close enough to hit an 'Airliner with a 50' an anti gunner lie I could hit it with my '03 30.06 so the real reason to ban the 50 is to ban guns.

Maybe next year when my #2 son is back in the states I'll take a few of his college friends to the 500m steel target range at Sac Valley and give some younger minds a little different perspective - to promote the 2nd.

I used to play paintball, first started back in the days when everyone used pumps. My first gun was a PMI Trracer. I ended up spending thousands on paintball, I had a Tippmann Pro-Lite, and eventually a minimag and an autococker. I eventually fell out of it, haven't played for about 10 years now. I just found one of my old compressed air tanks the other day that had 1996 stamped on it lol. Paintball is a great way to have a good time, get some exercise, and do some (mostly) male bonding. Its just so tiring and hard to get people my age to play paintball... bringing people shooting is much easier :D