PDA

View Full Version : cleaning barrel

SingleAction
01-02-2010, 5:58 PM
Hey guys,

Quick question: Do you guys clean your bore with a bronze brush?

I've been doing that since I started owning my handguns, but I've just been told that that's not good for the barrel, and to try not to use the brush unless absolutely necessary. Is that good or bad advice?

Thanks.

kdm
01-02-2010, 6:10 PM
I use bronze brushes...they work well. Overzealous cleaning isn't good, tho, and that can easily happen with a short pistol barrel. I just run a couple wet patches, 3 or 4 passes with the brush, few more wet patches, then dry patch.

Juicymeat
01-02-2010, 6:15 PM
I use a bronze brush as well with just 3-5 passes through, nothing over zealous followed by a jag. A jag really does help clean the barrel up better for me as it puts a hell of a lot more pressure on the patch against the barrel than just running a wadded patch through.

Gress
01-02-2010, 6:30 PM
I use them while cleaning my revolver and pistols. Did not have any problem whatsoever. IMO bronze is no harm to steel.

Jonathan Doe
01-02-2010, 9:28 PM
Bronze brush is fine. A few passes when you clean the gun will not hurt the barrel.

TMC
01-02-2010, 9:53 PM
I don't clean the bore.

Here's some good info from the folks who know on stainless steel barrels http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

BlackonBlack
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Usually running a solvent saturated patch through the bore, letting it sit for a few minutes and then cleaning it out with a clean patch is all that's necessary to clean the bore. I use and recommend cheap Hoppes #9. Bronze bushes can be used if you have the time for a little better cleaning or every couple cleanings. Bronze brushes don't hurt the bore anywhere near what a bullet does to it. Have you seen a fired round? Has deep gashes carved in to it from the rifling. How on earth can a bronze brush exert anywhere near this much pressure on the bore!!!. I have read to stay away from stainless steel because its HARDER tan the material bullets are made out of unlike bronze which is softer.

A lot of people got confused when gun companies starting including a makeshift cleaning kit comprised of a nylon brush with handguns. Notably glock. From my understanding the only reason they did this is to reduce cost because with a nylon brush they are able to include the exact same brush in all their different handgun kits.

SingleAction
01-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks black!

However, I read the comment before the one you posted (thanks to that author as well), and I have decided that I will no longer clean my bores with a bronze brush, only a nylon brush from now on.

k1dude
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't clean the bore.

Here's some good info from the folks who know on stainless steel barrels http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

That's really interesting. I wonder if the same holds true for non-stainless barrels.

AndrewMendez
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I dont think it would damage it, but unless you have shoot a couple hundred rounds thru it, and its really caked on, I would not worry about it. With that being said, every time I go shooting, I generally shoot about 500 rounds of ammo out of my handguns, so Its almost always in need of a good cleaning. Just my .02

Fjold
01-03-2010, 7:18 AM
If I shoot a lot of lead bullets in my handguns, I clean them with a nylon brush and lead removing solvent. Rifles are cleaned with patches and solvent.

Revoman
01-03-2010, 7:28 AM
I do not clean my barrels, I simply run a dry patch through them with a jag to take out any possible powder stuck in there and that's it.

I have handguns from the mid-seventy's that have yet to see a brush in the barrel. All are as accurate as I want them to be, all have no issues when I look down the bore.

No, it's not laziness, it's what I was taught way back when. Works for me.

Jonathan Doe
01-03-2010, 7:28 AM
It also depends on the cleaning solvent you use. I use Kroil and don't worry about it.

CSACANNONEER
01-03-2010, 7:42 AM
As far as using SS brushes go, I have watched one top shooter clean his rifles with a SS brush after every string he or his shoots. Once, I even asked him about it while he was cleaning. He proceded to short stroke the brush numerous times to show me that he doesn't follow all that BS that's out there. I think his and his wife's achievements speak for themselves. If their cleaning practices were bad for thier barrels, they would not be able to hold so many world records.
http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/visitors/worldrecords.php

As far as handguns go, I only use a brush if there is a lot of lead fouling. Then, it's a bronze brush.

NapaCountyShooter
01-03-2010, 7:46 AM
I've used a bronze brush for 8 years on my Colt, just 2 or 3 passes, and the barrel still looks brand new.

BlackonBlack
01-03-2010, 8:34 AM
Anyone that thinks a bronze brush is going to damage a bore is nuts.

BLC
01-03-2010, 8:38 AM
Little bit of solvent on a Boresnake works for me. Pull it through a few times and the barrel looks great.

BlackonBlack
01-03-2010, 8:38 AM
Thanks black!

However, I read the comment before the one you posted (thanks to that author as well), and I have decided that I will no longer clean my bores with a bronze brush, only a nylon brush from now on.

Suit yourself but that's ridiculous. A day at the range will do ions more damage to the bore than a lifetime of cleaning.

littlejake
01-03-2010, 8:57 AM
Just don't try to reverse a brush in the bore.

FYI, I shoot a lot of .38 spl in a .357 revolver and the carbon builds up in the chamber in front of the shorter case. I spin a .35 cal bronze rifle brush, soaked in CLP, in a chuck with an electric screwdriver and it really cleans the cylinder.

I use a bronze "toothbrush" on the cylinder face and around the forcing cone.

Bronze is so much softer than steel that it doesn't harm steel.

CSACANNONEER
01-03-2010, 9:00 AM
Just don't try to reverse a brush in the bore.

BS! The only thing that will happen is that the bristles will brake from fatigue earlier.

SixPointEight
01-03-2010, 9:10 AM
BS! The only thing that will happen is that the bristles will brake from fatigue earlier.

+1 especially if you're using a rod where the handle can rotate freely...as you should be

1911su16b870
01-03-2010, 9:18 AM
I use bronze brushes and cotton patches/jag with solvent. Then followed by clean cotton patches/jag and finally a oiled patch/jag for the bore.

1911su16b870
01-03-2010, 9:21 AM
It also depends on the cleaning solvent you use. I use Kroil and don't worry about it.

Hey topgun7, How long do you allow the Kroil to sit on the bore after application with a patch?

BlackonBlack
01-03-2010, 9:26 AM
Strip your gun and firstly run a solvent saturated patchy through barrel. then clean the slide rails and the slide . Wipe off receiver . By that time you can go back to the barrel and wipe it clean. No need to bust out a timer.

B Strong
01-03-2010, 9:44 AM
On pistols, I break the piece down and soak the barrel overnight in a tub of Mpro 7, run a patch through when I start the cleaning process, maybe a brush if needed, a few solvent patches, then a bore snake to make sure the bore is completely dry.

Jonathan Doe
01-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey topgun7, How long do you allow the Kroil to sit on the bore after application with a patch?

Here is what I do for my rifles.

1. Wet patch with Kroil once.
2. Copper brush with Kroil a few times
3. Wet patch with Kroil once.
4. Remington Bore Cleaner a few times on a patch
5. Wet patch with Kroil once or twice
6. Dry patch until clean. No lube or oil in the bore. I keep it dry.

Pistol is similar also, but I don't use Rem bore cleaner in my pistol.

I usually use about a dozen patches per gun, and it is clean.

BlackonBlack
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.firearmsid.com/jpgs/A0284.jpg

Look how the rifling in the bore tears ridges in the metal as the bullet fires. This happens each and every time you fire it.

Bronze brush hurts barrel give me a break.

That's like saying putting oil in your engine damages it.

1911su16b870
01-03-2010, 2:13 PM
Here is what I do for my rifles.

1. Wet patch with Kroil once.
2. Copper brush with Kroil a few times
3. Wet patch with Kroil once.
4. Remington Bore Cleaner a few times on a patch
5. Wet patch with Kroil once or twice
6. Dry patch until clean. No lube or oil in the bore. I keep it dry.

Pistol is similar also, but I don't use Rem bore cleaner in my pistol.

I usually use about a dozen patches per gun, and it is clean.

Thanks topgun7 for the guide, I have a small can of Kroil that I will try out.

BlackonBlack
01-06-2010, 2:29 PM
Bullets are jacketed in copper. Bronze is a alloy of copper and tin, and is much harder than copper. In fact, bronze is as hard as wrought iron.

still not as hard as the metal barrels are made out of.

SixPointEight
01-06-2010, 4:27 PM
still not as hard as the metal barrels are made out of.

Or lined with if you have a chrome barrel

This would be nice to see as a poll. For the most part, I think shooters approve of bronze brushes.

While the bronze may be harder than copper, you have to think of the fact that the copper is flying though the barrel at a very high speed, with a lot of pressure behind it.

Think of it this way, if I take a piece of steel and drag it lightly across glass by hand, it wont scratch. If I take copper and push it really hard across glass really fast, it's gonna scratch the glass. Same concept, different materials.