PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan V15-210F

durden-gsr
12-13-2005, 1:18 PM
I am currently considering buying this rifle and would like any information that might help me make this decision. The FFL dealer I am talking to has it priced at $1044. I was looking at the Bushmaster version, but seeing as how there isn't just a fixed magazine (it is all internal) I chose to go with this as I could go about the process of removing the fixed magazine and replace it with a 30 round "if I were to move out of state". Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Rascal
12-13-2005, 7:09 PM
Well if you ever move out of state , you could sell the lower here in Kali and buy a normal lower,in the free state, for less than 100 bucks. You would have a new lower and at least another 100 bucks in your pocket. ;)

DrjonesUSA
12-13-2005, 7:51 PM
Well if you ever move out of state , you could sell the lower here in Kali and buy a normal lower,in the free state, for less than 100 bucks. You would have a new lower and at least another 100 bucks in your pocket. ;)

What are the differences between a Vulcan and "normal" lower, besides the obvious pinned mag?

Are they any good at all?

I think I recall reading negative things about the Vulcan recievers before....

Rascal
12-13-2005, 9:52 PM
I was just stating that he could sell his vulcan receiver here in Kali and buy any normal receiver in the free world. Vulcan receivers go for around $260.00 here and the receivers in the freeworld are around $90.00. Why go through the trouble of unpinning the vulcan receiver when you can sell it here and make some money off it. then buy a Stag for like 90 bucks, which will be mil spec. I can't say that about the vulcan receiver, that is if he leaves this state. Hell you can buy a bushy for less than the price of the vulcan in the freeworld.

From what I have heard the vulcans are not bad, just expensive, and sometimes are not to spec, But they will work. Seeing as that it doesn't look like I'm going to be getting a Kali legal receiver before the ban, I'm am seriously looking at buying a Vulcan receiver for my next project gun, a Kali legal neutered AR type.

DrjonesUSA
12-13-2005, 9:54 PM
I was just stating that he could sell his vulcan receiver here in Kali and buy any normal receiver in the free world. Vulcan receivers go for around $260.00 here and the receivers in the freeworld are around $90.00. Why go through the trouble of unpinning the vulcan receiver when you can sell it here and make some money off it. then buy a Stag for like 90 bucks, which will be mil spec. I can't say that about the vulcan receiver, that is if he leaves this state. Hell you can buy a bushy for less than the price of the vulcan in the freeworld.

I completely understand all of that, however I am considering the purchase of a Vulcan and would like my above questions answered. :)

Rascal
12-13-2005, 9:59 PM
I added a reply to your question afterward. See my reply in my last post.

Rascal
12-13-2005, 10:01 PM
By "normal" I meant open magwell.
there is no differance between the two other than the pinned mag in the magwell. Hope this helps.

DrjonesUSA
12-13-2005, 10:03 PM
By "normal" I meant open magwell.
there is no differance between the two other than the pinned mag in the magwell. Hope this helps.

I understand what "normal" meant.

My question was if there is any difference besides the mag.

Guess not. That answers my question. :)

So.....if one were to move out of state, how difficult would it be to remove the mag?

Rascal
12-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I hear it's not that difficult to do, just break through the epoxy and remove the pin. That being said, I have never done one, so I can't tell you by experiance.
Ted has done one before, he could tell you exactly how it is done.

Rascal
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
So.....if one were to move out of state, how difficult would it be to remove the mag?
Back to my original post

Why would you want to when you could actually make money on it by selling it here in Kali and get a "normal" receiver and still have money in your pocket from the sale?

Yes you should know how to remove the mag as I heard that the mags that come with the vulcan receiver are not the best out on the market and you might want to replace it at some point in time.
I'm sure that someone here has done one. Sorry, I have never done one.:(

Hi Ted, I thought it was you that took one apart before. Guess I was wrong.

SpeedTribe
12-15-2005, 2:32 AM
I just finished putting together two Vulcan lowers and they are not that bad. These were my first builds too but with the info from AR15.com it was really easy. The finish is okay and everything went in without a problem. My Rock River Arms upper fits perfectly. No play or large gaps between the two.
I did swap the mags before I even started putting it together. I don't know how the stock ones worked but I figured it would be best to swap them before driving out to the range. Just make sure you PIN IT BACK if you do swap it. No sense in getting thrown in jail for something stupid. Someone here has the link to a How-To that was on AR15.com.

Costwise I think it would be best to either build one from the Vulcan lower or buy the Bushmaster Carbon-15.
I say build at this point because I don't know what the quality of the Vulcan upper is like.

The breakdowns are:

Bushmaster Carbon-15 $1078

OR build

Vulcan Lower $270
Lower Parts Kit $60
6-Position Stock $60
Complete Upper $450 (approx. depending on maker. This is complete with bolt and charging handle)
YHM Flip Up rear sight $75
-------------------------------
Total: $915

You could go a little cheaper with the build depending on where you get your parts. Check the Equipment Exchange section of AR15.com. Lots of good info on that site.

Perhaps we could get a sticky FAQ for the Vulcan on the board to post our builds and info?
Anyway, I am in Sacramento if anyone wants to check them out. Maybe we could all get together and have a NorCal "top loading rifle" shoot before the rain hits.

glock_this
12-15-2005, 8:27 AM
Thanks SpeedTribe! This is super helpful to me (an others I suspect). What did you use for a grip?

glock_this
12-15-2005, 8:43 AM
Someone here has the link to a How-To that was on AR15.com.

do you know where, I did a search or 2 but came up wth no how to.

Pablo
12-15-2005, 10:32 AM
do you know where, I did a search or 2 but came up wth no how to.

There you go bro...
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

DrjonesUSA
12-15-2005, 1:27 PM
Anyway, I am in Sacramento if anyone wants to check them out. Maybe we could all get together and have a NorCal "top loading rifle" shoot before the rain hits.

I'm in that area and would really like to check out your Vulcan lower.

I'll bring my M1A and we can debate .223 vs. 7.62! ;) :D :D :D

Seriously; let's meet and shoot!

glock_this
12-15-2005, 3:14 PM
Someone did it on an early version to replace the POS steel mag Vulcan uses with a 10 rd aluminum Bushmaster mag before Vulcan started using the epoxy.

do you know when they made the change to epoxy and what model you would get now if you ordered?

Gunner1
12-15-2005, 4:58 PM
The current Vulcan has the magazine epoxied in with a HEALTHY amount of acraglass. The magazine is also pinned in place. I have four of these that I bought about three weeks ago. paid $259.00 ea.
I tried to order five more this morning my dealer called Vulcan today and was told they are back ordered for now.

Gunner

SpeedTribe
12-15-2005, 5:48 PM
Gunner1, Was that acraglass really rubbery or is it solid? And what type of Mags did yours have? Mine looked identical to the Bushmaster M17s 10rd.

glock_this
12-15-2005, 5:50 PM
The current Vulcan has the magazine epoxied in with a HEALTHY amount of acraglass. The magazine is also pinned in place. I have four of these that I bought about three weeks ago. paid $259.00 ea.
I tried to order five more this morning my dealer called Vulcan today and was told they are back ordered for now.

Gunner

$259 4 weeks ago? the site now says $269. $10 raise - must be getting lots of orders. I was going to try to order tomorrow.

Gunner1
12-15-2005, 5:54 PM
The acraglass is a very hard epoxy bedding compound sold by Brownells. The mags are steel. I replaced two with bushmaster 10 rounders.

Gunner

glock_this
12-15-2005, 5:59 PM
The acraglass is a very hard epoxy bedding compound sold by Brownells. The mags are steel. I replaced two with bushmaster 10 rounders.

Gunner

how hard was it to get off the "HEALTHY amount of acraglass" and remove the pin. can you give any other more in depth details on how/what you did to get them out, not do damage, and rid your rifle of the epoxy?

Gunner1
12-15-2005, 6:34 PM
There is a very good article on this with pictures on ar15.com and some references here. I drilled out the roll pin under the mag catch and used a large screw driver to pry the mag out. It was not very easy, then I used a dremel tool to remove the left over acraglass. I did make a few nicks in the receiver . I refinished the receivers with HK finish Duracoat. Looks good to me.

Gunner