View Full Version : my first handgun (sig p226/9mm) has come home at last!

01-02-2010, 4:28 PM
So it came home with me today after putting 200 rds down range.

First 20 rounds at 5 rds a mag it had trouble locking the slide back on empty mag. the mag does hold 10 but damn it was stiff. started to loosen up after the 3rd mag and finally got 10 in there. i had 1 FTE in the first 20 rounds, but i was expecting something like that since its breaking in still.

i love this gun. i wanted to shoot 100 more rds but my hand/shoulder couldnt handle it (im disabled). and to add to that, my thumbs hurt like hell from loading the mags. worth the pain.

a few maintenance questions as far as sigs go. i bought CLP, a boresnake, a silicone cloth, and a nylon brush. the gun came with miltec oil.

ive scrubbed it down with a dry nylon brush first... then scrubbed it down with breakfree CLP and im letting it soak. i know to lube the slide rails, barrel, but where else? "any place thats shiny" is kind of general as far as the sig videos go. where should i lube the trigger? on the trigger itself but just up really high?

i hear people using CLP to lube it which is weird to me because CLP is used to clean it.. i guess it works? where should i use miltec and where should i use CLP to lube? i see some people use miltec all over the slide and just wipe it down.

i get a lot of satisfaction cleaning this pistol. maybe its because its my first one and first time doing it, just want to make sure im doing it right.

any help is appreciated!

p.s. pics will be up after my digital camera battery charges :( fail on my part.

01-02-2010, 4:38 PM
I clean using #9, I use CLP on the rails and a drop inside the slide when the barrel cams into position...

Be safe, shoot it and have fun, they are good quality handguns...

It will start to feel smoother once you have several hundred rounds through it...

01-02-2010, 5:05 PM
the Mil-tec is for the rails on the frame. it's light enough for carry without picking up too much dust...for long range sessions and classes, i'd recommend a grease like slide glide or lubriplate.

here's a good guide

01-02-2010, 5:13 PM
As far as having trouble with the slide locking back its most likely your grip and your finger holding down the release. That was my problem too. Here is a thread on in for more information or ideas. (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/749101723)

CLP stands for cleaner, lubricant, and protectant for metal. You can use that as lube for everywhere, but I would use something heavier for the slide such as your mil-tec.

To load your magazines easier get the Uplula from Maglula! Best darn thing for handguns period. I love mine.

01-02-2010, 5:52 PM
oops sorry missed the other concerns:

another recommendation for the Uplula mag loader...especially with a 10 round mag

the slide not locking back is either your grip of weakly loaded american ammo
1. to eliminate the grip, shoot weak handed
2. to eliminate the ammo, shoot some +P

01-02-2010, 7:00 PM
thanks for the responses! ill definately take a look at the uplula loader. that youtube video was awesome!

the slide now locks back after the first 20 rounds 100%.

i feel like going to the range tomorrow and popping off another hundred rounds. i dont think the wife will let me though :(

off to finish cleaning the gun.

01-03-2010, 8:42 AM
welcome to the forum.

01-03-2010, 8:54 AM
Congrats on your new pistol. :)

01-03-2010, 9:45 AM
I use Militec-1 oil in the usual contact places. I also dab a bit on the feedramp, the breechblock face and behind the trigger bar. It's kind of expensive so I use it sparingly. But it's a great oil and helps to minimize cleaning effort as well. I use TW25B on the frame rails and the barrel for the range. I'm thinking about trying Hoppe's Elite oil but trying to figure out if it's organic or synthetic.

I don't use CLP -- I found that Hoppe's Elite works just as well as #9 w/out the vapors. I like using dedicated products -- clean and lube.

I highly recommend this to save your thumb (oh, as same mentioned above as well): http://www.topgunsupply.com/uplula-magazine-speedloader-universal_pistol.html

01-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new toy responsibly . Post some photos and give us a range report!

Everything you listed is more than enough to adequately service and care for that pistol. However it is my personal preference to not use CLP type products.