PDA

View Full Version : Proof in residency?

hunteran
01-02-2010, 4:32 PM
I'm trying to buy a Ruger 10/22 and I don't have a proof of residency. I'm home on vacation from college and my lease is at my apartment in Chico and none of the utility bills are in my name. I called Turner's (that's where I want to buy my .22) and they said that I need to have something other than my drivers license. He mentioned that I could get something from the DMV (I think it was called a "timestamp"). I looked on the DMV website and I couldn't find anything. So I ask you, what the hell is a time stamp and how do I get one?

GrizzlyGuy
01-02-2010, 4:45 PM
See here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1635888&postcount=6).

qaz987
01-02-2010, 5:33 PM
CA DOJ lists Proof of Residency as a requirement for handguns. 10/22 would only require CA DL or ID. Unless the law was changed but I haven't heard anything about that. Good luck!

ugimports
01-02-2010, 5:50 PM
CA DOJ lists Proof of Residency as a requirement for handguns. 10/22 would only require CA DL or ID. Unless the law was changed but I haven't heard anything about that. Good luck!

Proof of residency would be required for long guns only if the DL address is not current.

MR.R
01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
if you have no bills in your name u can use your vehicle registration or insurance card...

BLC
01-03-2010, 9:28 AM
I was told insurance card wont cut it.

halifax
01-03-2010, 9:48 AM

What they are asking for is probably Alternate Documentation as required for the federal form 4473 if the address on the DL doesn't match the one written on the 4473.

Any of these CA acceptable residency (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf) documents should work as alternate documentation.

Title 11, Division 5, Chapter 4, Evidence of Residency Documentation
4045 Definitions and Requirements.
The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 12071(b)(8)(C):
a.1. "Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing direct service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection), or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.
The utility bill statement date must be within three months of the current date.
The utility bill must bear on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
b.1.
"Residential lease" means either of the following:
A.
A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time.
B.
A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
2. The residential lease must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
c.1.
"Property deed" means either of the following:
A.
A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust.
B.
A valid Certificate of Title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the
individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
2. The property deed must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
d. "Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice" means either of the following:
1. A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
2. A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an active, reserve, or retired peace officer.
Note: Authority cited: Section 12071, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 12071 and 12072, Penal Code.

If the address you put on the 4473 matches the one on your license then the dealer is asking for more than is necessary for a long gun purchase.

ETD1010
01-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Proof of residency would be required for long guns only if the DL address is not current.

BINGO. And be aware that the ATF proof is DIFFERENT than the CA DOJ proof. The ATF requires the document to be "government issued" and must have a date of validity.

I usually tell my customers to change their address, and then have the DMV printout their driver license record. It's on their letterhead, and it will state the currently updated address. This, supplimented with the actually driver license fulfills the 20b questions (as far as my ATF inspector was concerned)

ETD1010
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
What they are asking for is probably Alternate Documentation as required for the federal form 4473 if the address on the DL doesn't match the one written on the 4473.

Any of these CA acceptable residency (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf) documents should work as alternate documentation.

INCORRECT, as the BATFE has a different set of requirements for residency. See question 20(b) on the 4473 for the right info. They will NOT take utility bills as proof. MUST BE GOVERNMENT ISSUED.

halifax
01-03-2010, 3:41 PM
INCORRECT, as the BATFE has a different set of requirements for residency. See question 20(b) on the 4473 for the right info. They will NOT take utility bills as proof. MUST BE GOVERNMENT ISSUED.

Technically correct, but my inspector was willing to accept whatever CA accepted. Atleast, she didn't write me up for it :D

The instructions for 20b suck on examples.

qaz987
01-03-2010, 4:34 PM
Maybe I'm reading the OP wrong. If a DL address wasn't current wouldn't it be easier to go get the DL updated. :D

ugimports
01-03-2010, 4:38 PM
Maybe I'm reading the OP wrong. If a DL address wasn't current wouldn't it be easier to go get the DL updated. :D

Depends.. Some people put a PO box on their DL which isn't actually what they'll fill the paperwork out as. Or some people have just moved and don't want to sit at the DMV since they only impact not having it updated that way is when you buy guns.

MR.R
01-03-2010, 4:44 PM
I was told insurance card wont cut it.

works at my ffl:D

smt77
01-03-2010, 6:27 PM
If you are going to a STATE school (uc, or csu, or junior college) you can use a statement from your school as a government document proving address so long as the address is your CURRENT physical address. Any document of any kind, issued by a government entity of any type should suffice. Jury Summons, mail from the registrar of voters, bill from the dmv, etc....heck, if you work for a government entity, you can even use your paycheck stub from the same government office.

TripleT
01-03-2010, 6:58 PM
Actually a utility bill will work for 20b if the utility is a government municipality. Many cities own their own water / sewer company ie government issued bill. Just make sure it is within 90 days. That won't help the OP though as he says the utilities aren't in his name.

I see a lot of PO Boxes these days what with identity theft issues. Makes it tough on the 4473.

I did get an unusual one that might help somebody. I had a handgun customer use his United States Forest Service Wood Cutting Permit as alternate proof for 20b on the 4473. He had a PO Box on his CDL and we used the government issued document (wood cutting permit) issued in his name, at his current address and dated in November (90 day validity) for the alternate proof. :) The customer said he gets one every year and in fact needs the handgun for protection while in the forest cutting wood. There are crops out there that the USFS and BLM might not mention when you buy your 25.00 permit. :D

TripleT
01-03-2010, 7:03 PM
If you are going to a STATE school (uc, or csu, or junior college) you can use a statement from your school as a government document proving address so long as the address is your CURRENT physical address. Any document of any kind, issued by a government entity of any type should suffice. Jury Summons, mail from the registrar of voters, bill from the dmv, etc....heck, if you work for a government entity, you can even use your paycheck stub from the same government office.

I had a customer use a proof of service for a notice to appear... Made me gulp but it was some kinda' civil case not criminal...

Cos
01-03-2010, 7:13 PM

Or if you aren't a citizen of this country.

smt77
01-03-2010, 7:32 PM
Proof of residency for Resident Aliens and proof of address are two separate things. the 90 days proof for aliens do not have to be government issued. Proof of address when the DL address is incorrect must be a document issued by a government entity.

Cos
01-04-2010, 7:34 PM
Yes, my mistake - you're right. Sorry for the confusion.

aznanimekid
08-25-2010, 3:12 PM
small necro, but i was reading this and something caught my interest. would it be possible to use my trial result papers as proof of residency? they have my name and address and were issued by the DOJ 2 months ago

SgtDinosaur
08-25-2010, 3:59 PM
I always use my vehicle registration card. Never seen an FFL that woudln't take it.