PDA

View Full Version : glock auto fire problem

bubbapug1
01-02-2010, 3:27 PM
I took my old reliable glock 34 to the range. I've put a lot of rounds through this beast, around 2500...but today, after the first three mags it double fired...each and every time I pulled the trigger.

The folks at the range who are said to be glock armorers claim its the ghost 3.5 connector. I took it apart and looked at it versus the stock 5# connector and they seem to be at the same angles, general dimensions, etc. The glock connector is however beefier

What am I missing here?

pinwheels
01-02-2010, 3:39 PM
I had a similar problem with a G23 after about 2000 rounds, but its primary symptom was failure to reset even though a new round was chambered (and with a light primer strike slightly off-center. It would also double fire, but only a few times. The failure to reset was maybe one per mag.

I went through lots of diagnostics, including verifying that the trigger bar was properly engaging the striker lug, the trigger spring wasn't weak or broken, etc. If you did the $0.25 trigger job, it's possible you over-polished and/or rounded off the edges of the back end of the cruciform at the rear of the trigger bar or the bottom corner of the striker lug. These have to engage solidly.

All that said, the solution turned out to be the recoil spring. An armorer at a GSSF match said that G23's springs should be replaced every 2000 rounds. Gave me a new one, and haven't had a problem since (another 2000 or 3000 rounds). I carry a replacement with me just in case. It's an $8 part. Try it.

Good luck!

bubbapug1
01-02-2010, 7:08 PM
It was the connector. I changed out the ghost 3.5# one on the gun with a 5# glock and it works fine now. I guess they can and do wear out, kind of bizzare, I've never had a gun fail before in such a catastrophic manner.

pinwheels
01-02-2010, 9:48 PM
Interesting. But it's not clear to me how the connector (since it disconnects the trigger bar to fire the first shot) could wear in a way that would allow the trigger bar to reconnect with the striker and then disengage again for the second time.

If you figure it out, please let us know.:seeya:

MarioS
01-02-2010, 9:51 PM
For that to happen after only 2,500 rounds, that is way too premature. I would test it some more, something tells me there's a deeper problem.

NeoWeird
01-03-2010, 5:23 AM
I'd try putting it back in the gun. I have a sneaking suspicion incorrect installation, or it working out of place may have been the issue. Before that though, ensure that it's not bent or tweaked. Also, the 3.5# connector should have a negative angle of engagment where as the 5# should be nuetral; the 3.5# connector should be marked with a "-" on the face to denote this.

Interesting. But it's not clear to me how the connector (since it disconnects the trigger bar to fire the first shot) could wear in a way that would allow the trigger bar to reconnect with the striker and then disengage again for the second time.

If you figure it out, please let us know.:seeya:

I'm not a Glock armorer or anything, but I'm wondering if the connector wasn't installed correctly, or if it worked out of place with use, in a way that the connector was putting pressure on the trigger bar and forcing it down out of engagment with the firing pin on the chambering stroke of the slide travel. Sometimes it held and the gun functioned normally, sometimes it slipped as the slide was very near closing or closed all the way resulting in a double, and other times it slipped very early in the stroke and the gun essentially slam fired, but because it's striker based there wasn't enough inertia to set off the round.

So maybe it wasn't a different connector that solved the problem, but rather just having someone re-install a connector properly that resolved the issue. I bet if the 3.5# connector were reinstalled it would work fine again. It would also be interesting to see if when the OP installed the 3.5# again, and if they did get the failure to reset issue again to check for very faint primer strikes. That would let you know that the gun was essentially slam firing.

bubbapug1
01-04-2010, 9:39 AM
I am not sure how it could be correct and operating for 3000 rounds and than fail or work itself out of place sudenly after two years....I did put it back in the gun only to have it fire two shots per trigger pull, where upon I pulled it again and destroyed it.

A fully auto pistol is rather worthless. You can't control it by any means unless you put it in a vise.

Sure, it sounds nice, but its worthless.

pinwheels
01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Agreed, worthless. I wish you hadn't destroyed it though. Would have been interesting to get pictures through a half-sized slide cover plate (orange, armorers have them) to watch how the trigger bar was releasing and resetting as the slide cycles. Something about the geometry and spring tension was allowing the trigger to reengage and then disconnect again before you released the trigger enough to allow a normal reset. What's really strange is why it only fired two rounds at a time.

Corbin Dallas
01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
2500 is a lot? Well dont tell my G23 that were approaching 40,000 with all stock internals...

BTW, my recoil rod has never been changed.

Also, ghost rocket connectors are known to be problamatic, check glocktalk or google it.

sd1023x
01-04-2010, 1:25 PM
Other than legally, is that a problem? Must be doin awesome on your double taps!:stuart: