PDA

View Full Version : question behalf of a friend (juvenile felony)

V3nomus
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
i have a buddy that made some mistakes when he was younger but has since turned his life around. He has a felony from when he was a juvenile but has a strike on his record. can he legally purchase a firearm in california? i tried to search but i couldn't really find anything specific to this topic. any help is appreciated, thank you!

Quiet
01-02-2010, 1:05 PM
To be 100% sure, have your friend complete a Personal Firearms Eligibility Check Application (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/pfecapp.pdf) and send it to CA DOJ BOF.
CA DOJ BOF will mail back a response within 30-120 days.

SteveH
01-02-2010, 1:48 PM
I have no idea but to count as a "strike" he must have made a pretty serious mistake.

BigDogatPlay
01-02-2010, 2:19 PM
A felony is a felony, if the conviction is on his record he is ineligible under both state and federal law unless he gets the conviction vacated and his rights restored.

The eligibility check suggested above will definitely confirm.

ENVYGREEN
01-02-2010, 2:27 PM
Strike isn't relevant you have to see what he plead to and if what he plead to was a wobbler. Meaning could have been a felony or misd

sac550
01-02-2010, 4:55 PM
If he has a strike he is prohibited until he is 30 per 12021(e). Even if you 17b it he would still be prohibited until 30. 12021(e) doesn't care if it was a misdo or felony as long as it is an offense listed in 707(b) WI or 12021(c)(1). IF he is over 30 he is good to go.

sac550
01-02-2010, 5:00 PM
A felony is a felony, if the conviction is on his record he is ineligible under both state and federal law unless he gets the conviction vacated and his rights restored.

The eligibility check suggested above will definitely confirm.

This is not correct. Juveniles in CA are never "convicted" (unless tried as an adult), they suffer a "sustained juvenile adjudication". That is why a juvenile who pleads to lets say a felony stolen car or felony drug possession offense is not prohibited as an adult per 12021(a)(1). 12021(a)(1) states a "felony conviction". Only 12021(e) or 12021(d) can be effected by your juv past.

BigDogatPlay
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
This is not correct. Juveniles in CA are never "convicted" (unless tried as an adult), they suffer a "sustained juvenile adjudication". That is why a juvenile who pleads to lets say a felony stolen car or felony drug possession offense is not prohibited as an adult per 12021(a)(1). 12021(a)(1) states a "felony conviction". Only 12021(e) or 12021(d) can be effected by your juv past.

While somewhat true on point, the OP did not specify the full nature of the beef. He stated that the friend is carrying a strike felony, which typically would be a crime of violence. Whether adjudicated of convicted, a felony crime of violence would trigger lifetime loss of rights, no?

sac550
01-03-2010, 12:26 PM
While somewhat true on point, the OP did not specify the full nature of the beef. He stated that the friend is carrying a strike felony, which typically would be a crime of violence. Whether adjudicated of convicted, a felony crime of violence would trigger lifetime loss of rights, no?

No. If adjudicated of a violent felony as a juvenile, you would only be prohibited per 12021(e) until you are 30. 30 years of age is the washout out period for ANY juvenile adjudication. This only applies to CA law. Federal law doesn't recognize juvenile felonies.

Again if he was tried and convicted as an ADULT then 12021(A)(1) would apply for life.

Rad'04
01-03-2010, 1:45 PM
From personal experience. (not me)

No, he is not allowed.

Trust me.

PM, if you like more.

i have a buddy that made some mistakes when he was younger but has since turned his life around. He has a felony from when he was a juvenile but has a strike on his record. can he legally purchase a firearm in california? i tried to search but i couldn't really find anything specific to this topic. any help is appreciated, thank you!

G38xOC
01-03-2010, 2:02 PM
+ 1 Quiet

PFEC + Notarized = most $ 40

lot cheaper than going through gun store ( paying down and fees ) somewhere around $80.00

would you rather loose 40 or 80 ? your friend's choice

p.s I too , was stupid , and had conviction of felony when i was juvenile . I didn't think i was able to purchase . but , I filled out PEFC anyway . got my response from them 12days later . good news here =)