PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt ak pistol question?

gidddy169
01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
If I built a ak pistol from a flat without a threaded barrel or a threaded barrel with a barrel nut permanently attached, with 1200 degree silver solder, I could build a semi auto ak or ar pistol that accepts magazines greater than 10 rounds and be legal?

This is what I understand from the CA Handgun AW ID flowchart, am I missing anything?

Quiet
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I could build a semi auto ak or ar pistol that accepts magazines greater than 10 rounds and be legal?

No.

AR/AK pistols have the capacity to accept detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip [PC 12276.1(a)(4)(D)].
So, in order to not be considered an assault weapon, the AR/AK needs to have a magazine lock/use a fixed magazine.
With a fixed magazine, the magazine capacity has to be 10 rounds or less, otherwise it will be considered an assault weapon [PC 12276.1(a)(5)].

Summary:
To be CA legal, AR/AK pistol needs a fixed magazine with a capacity of 10 rounds or less.

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

69Mach1
01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
No. AK and AR pistols in CA can never have a det. mag or a fixed mag of more than 10 rounds due to the assault weapon feature of having the mag well outside of yhe grip for a pistol.

ke6guj
01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
you're missing the fact that the magazine resides outside the pistol grip, so it is an AW unless you install a maglock of some sort.

Then, now that it has a fixed mag, it can only be 10-rounds max, lest it trigger a separate AW section.

69Mach1
01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Don't drill a gas port and make yourself a bolt action pistol. What is the concensus on rimfire semi auto AK/AR pistols. High cap, or no high cap?

ke6guj
01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Don't drill a gas port and make yourself a bolt action pistol. What is the concensus on rimfire semi auto AK/AR pistols. High cap, or no high cap?same rules for rimfire pistols as centerfire pistols. So if it is semi-auto, it has to have a fixed mag of no more than 10-rounds.

Quiet
01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
What is the concensus on rimfire semi auto AK/AR pistols. High cap, or no high cap?

Assault weapon laws for semi-auto pistols are the same for both rimfire and centerfire.
So, need to have a fixed 10 round or less magazine for a rimfire semi-auto AK/AR pistol.

Rukus
01-02-2010, 11:55 AM
And don't forget that because of the locked magazine feature, the threaded barrel is not considered and evil feature so it doesnt need a permanent muzzle device.

gidddy169
01-02-2010, 2:22 PM
Thanks,
I totally spaced on the magazine outside the pistol grip part.