PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a field stripped pistol in your car if it is not in a locked container?

AlexDD
01-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Last week my lock wasn't working for my combo pistol box when I wanted to go to the range and thought of the following question.

1.) Do you need to put a "field stripped pistol", slide separated from lower, in a locked container when traveling in a motor vehicle? (For illustration purposes, let's say its a Beretta 92f and assume the slide was placed within the same pistol rug as the lower grip. I am sure a variation could be if they are in separate bags.)

I am assuming I could carry as many completed pistol slides as I wanted "unlocked" otherwise when you buy a .22kit that would have to be transported locked, but does having the corresponding lower receiver in itself cause the gripped receiver to be a pistol from a constructive point of view in the eyes of the court or are they just firearms parts. 2.) Would the lower grip receiver have to be carried locked even if there was no slide or 3.) does it have to be the combo effect and a slide present?

If the answer to my first question is "no", would this provide another avenue of transport?

Thank you.

Librarian
01-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Last week my lock wasn't working for my combo pistol box when I wanted to go to the range and thought of the following question.

1.) Do you need to put a "field stripped pistol", slide separated from lower, in a locked container when traveling in a motor vehicle? (For illustration purposes, let's say its a Beretta 92f and assume the slide was placed within the same pistol rug as the lower grip. I am sure a variation could be if they are in separate bags.)

I am assuming I could carry as many completed pistol slides as I wanted "unlocked" otherwise when you buy a .22kit that would have to be transported locked, but does having the corresponding lower receiver in itself cause the gripped receiver to be a pistol from a constructive point of view in the eyes of the court or are they just firearms parts. 2.) Would the lower grip receiver have to be carried locked even if there was no slide or 3.) does it have to be the combo effect and a slide present?

If the answer to my first question is "no", would this provide another avenue of transport?

Thank you.

Yes - it's still a 'concealable handgun' no matter how many pieces it is in; legal transport concealed, without CCW, requires the locking case.

AlexDD
01-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Got it.

Thank you.