PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Exemption w/ a twist

smokingloon
01-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Just have a quick question on the single shot exemption. I am in the process of acquiring a 1911 frame. I was looking into the Pachmayr dominator or the SASS but was recently notified that using this device would require slight modifications to the frame. Not wanting to modify a new frame, I figure that it would be better to simply make my own single shot.

The single shot exemption requires me to have a handgun with a 6" barrel and a 10.5" overall length among other requirements.
I have found some 7" barrels but it is easier and cheaper to a find 5" barrels. I will never fire anything using this barre.

So my first questions is this. Can I get a 5" barrel and weld on a 5" sch 40 pipe from home depot and meet the legal requirements? The first half of the barrel is rifled while the last half is... smooth bore?

My second question is does the handgun have to be functional?
Lets say that I get a 1911 that is a single shot. Meaning the firearm willl only accept one cartridge at a time. However, there is no hammer, firing pin, etc to actually activate the primer. Is this still considered a single shot?

vta
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
interesting question. i'd like to know as well about welding an extension to the barrel. I think this might be a good way of acquiring a lot of pistols that are not on the list. personally I'd like to do this to an XDm by welding an extension to an after market barrel to meet the 6 and 10.5 requirement. If it works, couldnt we all just use the same blocked magazine and welded barrel by selling the parts to each other once we acquire and converted our pistols back to original config? I guess we still have to deal with the magazine lock issue...

Josh3239
01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
If it is single shot, I assume you are just pinning a 1rd mag yes? If so, you don't need to weld. With a handgun like that you can have a threaded barrel. And the single shot exemption is obviouisly not permanent so the barrel extention itself doesn't have to be permanent, it can be screwed on, or even set screwed on if you don't want to go with a threaded barrel.

ENTHUSIAST
01-01-2010, 11:22 PM
:popcorn:

vta
01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
If it is single shot, I assume you are just pinning a 1rd mag yes? If so, you don't need to weld. With a handgun like that you can have a threaded barrel. And the single shot exemption is obviouisly not permanent so the barrel extention itself doesn't have to be permanent, it can be screwed on, or even set screwed on if you don't want to go with a threaded barrel.

a threaded barrel? are you sure its legal on a single shot? my impression is that a threaded barrel on a pistol is a no go but i might be wrong. I suppose ar pistols have threaded barrels. It would make it a lot easier to take the barrel out since the XDm, unlike a 1911, barrel comes out thru the back insteead of the front.

As far as the mag goes, I think it needs to be a 0 round mag. basically a bobsled. Because if you had a 1 round mag, you can actually have 2 in the gun with one of them in the chamber.

hoodrat
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
you guys rock!

ke6guj
01-02-2010, 12:47 AM
a threaded barrel? are you sure its legal on a single shot? my impression is that a threaded barrel on a pistol is a no go but i might be wrong. I suppose ar pistols have threaded barrels. It would make it a lot easier to take the barrel out since the XDm, unlike a 1911, barrel comes out thru the back insteead of the front.
threaded barrels are only regulated on semi-automatic handguns that have detachable magazines. If it isn't semi-auto ( a single-shot handgun can't be semi-auto) doesn't have a detachable magazine ( a maglock covers this), then it doesn't matter if it has a threaded barrel.

As far as the mag goes, I think it needs to be a 0 round mag. basically a bobsled. Because if you had a 1 round mag, you can actually have 2 in the gun with one of them in the chamber.correct.

vta
01-02-2010, 8:11 AM
threaded barrels are only regulated on semi-automatic handguns that have detachable magazines. If it isn't semi-auto ( a single-shot handgun can't be semi-auto) doesn't have a detachable magazine ( a maglock covers this), then it doesn't matter if it has a threaded barrel.

thanks for clarifying that. So does it mean the I can buy an aftermarket threaded barrel from places like efkfiredragon and just add a thread on compensator or fake can to make up for barrel length? Doesn't the thread on piece have to be pinned or welded on for it to be considered part of the barrel like a 14.5 AR barrel would?

thedonger
01-02-2010, 8:39 AM
but was recently notified that using this device would require slight modifications to the frame.

If your looking to get a fresh 1911 frame the slid will need to fit on the frame. 2 ways to do that. 1) trim the frame rails to fit into the upper. 2) machine out the upper to fit onto the frame.

The frame rails are oversizes when you buy a frame kit.

If you trim down the frame it might not fit the upper you want to end up with. If you machine out the upper it will not be a good fit any "finished" 1991.

smokingloon
01-02-2010, 9:53 AM
I am looking at the Fusion 1911 kit where it comes with the slide, barrel, and frame fitted.

So my plan is to:

1) Either find a threaded barrel and add on a extension piece or weld on an extension piece.

2) Drill a mag catch and use a set screw to disable the mechanism. In essence it will be a prince50.

3) Fill the magazine with epoxy or cut a dowel down to size so that the magazine can not accept any rounds. It will basically be a "ghetto" bod sled.

I guess it would really depend on the dealer if they feel comfortable with this configuration. If this does work out, then I will be willing to send it to others to get their 1911 into a single shot configuration.

Fjold
01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I owned a SASS (sold it on these boards) and there was no modification of the frame required to use it.

I fit it to three different make frames with no issues and lent it out to two other guys who used it to bring in two other brand frames and they had no issues either.

tdaughg
01-02-2010, 9:34 PM
if you put on a 16" barrel does that bump it into the rifle category or does it still get classified as a hangun?

i found a place that has them but im waiting for the email back to confirm because the price listed seems way to cheap. if they do that would take care of the barrel and oal requirements. filling a mag with epoxy will be easy. how do you lock the mag in place though, thats what im still wondering.

vta
01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
if you put on a 16" barrel does that bump it into the rifle category or does it still get classified as a hangun?

i found a place that has them but im waiting for the email back to confirm because the price listed seems way to cheap. if they do that would take care of the barrel and oal requirements. filling a mag with epoxy will be easy. how do you lock the mag in place though, thats what im still wondering.

"if the overall length is greater than 26 inches and the barrel length is greater than 16 inches (and the barrel is rifled) it is no longer considerd a pistol but a title 1 firearm."

from this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=85959

tdaughg
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
"if the overall length is greater than 26 inches and the barrel length is greater than 16 inches (and the barrel is rifled) it is no longer considerd a pistol but a title 1 firearm."

from this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=85959

thanks for the info.

sounds like part of the problem might be solved as long as i get the email response i want. 16" 45acp 1911 barrel $68.... something just doesnt seem right with that picture.

vta
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks for the info.

sounds like part of the problem might be solved as long as i get the email response i want. 16" 45acp 1911 barrel $68.... something just doesnt seem right with that picture.

did you see this post on THR?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=373199

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/skinnygun/Mini003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/skinnygun/Mini004.jpg

tdaughg
01-02-2010, 10:49 PM
wow that things hideous. not something ive ever seen but a guy i work with thats also pro 2a told me about someone making carbine kits for the 1911 and thats what got me searching tonight to see if i can find the kit and i found someone selling the barrel which is all i would really want.

california laws be damned im going to get the 1911 i want some day

jaymz
01-03-2010, 1:45 PM
I am looking at the Fusion 1911 kit where it comes with the slide, barrel, and frame fitted.

So my plan is to:

1) Either find a threaded barrel and add on a extension piece or weld on an extension piece.

2) Drill a mag catch and use a set screw to disable the mechanism. In essence it will be a prince50.

3) Fill the magazine with epoxy or cut a dowel down to size so that the magazine can not accept any rounds. It will basically be a "ghetto" bod sled.

Why drill a mag release? Just drill a hole in your "dummy mag" that will line up with one of the grip screws, install a new grip screw that's about a quarter inch longer than the stock screw. That meets the removal with a tool requirement, should be GTG.

thedonger
01-03-2010, 2:29 PM
I owned a SASS (sold it on these boards) and there was no modification of the frame required to use it.

I fit it to three different make frames with no issues and lent it out to two other guys who used it to bring in two other brand frames and they had no issues either.

All I know is that the one I have will NOT fit on my caspian frame. It will fit on my finished frames but not the kit frame that has not been fitted to an upper yet.

tankerman
01-03-2010, 3:44 PM
wow that things hideous.
It doubles as a putter.

vta
01-03-2010, 3:47 PM
so does any one know a middleman ffl that will do this type of transfers?

vta
01-03-2010, 3:50 PM
Why drill a mag release? Just drill a hole in your "dummy mag" that will line up with one of the grip screws, install a new grip screw that's about a quarter inch longer than the stock screw. That meets the removal with a tool requirement, should be GTG.

that is a good idea. This way you won't even destroy any more parts than you need to for the exemption.

tdaughg
01-03-2010, 4:23 PM
so does any one know a middleman ffl that will do this type of transfers?

if there is i would love to know. i just ordered a 16" barrel and ill need to find the cheapest mag i can so i can fill it with epoxy. after that could send them to the middle man and let them do the install and send it to my ffl. freakshow maybe? ill shoot him a pm and see what he says.

vta
01-03-2010, 4:44 PM
if there is i would love to know. i just ordered a 16" barrel and ill need to find the cheapest mag i can so i can fill it with epoxy. after that could send them to the middle man and let them do the install and send it to my ffl. freakshow maybe? ill shoot him a pm and see what he says.

let me know what he says. Are you planning on cutting the barrel down a bit?

tdaughg
01-03-2010, 4:48 PM
let me know what he says. Are you planning on cutting the barrel down a bit?

wasnt planning on cutting it down but i guess it could. i got a hack saw and a file. wouldnt matter if it didnt shoot well since i would be using it for anything else.

vta
01-03-2010, 4:52 PM
wasnt planning on cutting it down but i guess it could. i got a hack saw and a file. wouldnt matter if it didnt shoot well since i would be using it for anything else.

my impression is that it had to be less than 16 inches for it to qualify as a pistol. Where did you buy the barrel? This is what I could find online:

http://www.ar15products.net/itm00694.htm

vta
01-03-2010, 4:56 PM
btw, they also sell a 7 inch barrel

http://www.ar15products.net/itm00708.htm

tdaughg
01-03-2010, 5:05 PM
btw, they also sell a 7 inch barrel

http://www.ar15products.net/itm00708.htm

im pretty sure with 7" barrel your still a little short of the 10.5 oal requirement.

i ordered the barrel and got the email that they have received the order but nothing yet saying its not on back ordered or has shipped. placed the order yesterday so im probably going to hear anything til mon/tues. but so far it looks promising. i think it was $105 otd for just the barrel.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=588350&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

if the link doesnt work just do a search for part #588370

smokingloon
01-03-2010, 9:28 PM

Never thought of that. That should make it much easier.

From what I understand, the caspians are normally oversized so that people can file it down themselves.

The fusion kit comes with the slide, frame, and barrel prefitted. So it is more of an assembly.

1911 Colt Style, by FUSION 5 inch 45 ACP Tactical HUNTER-5 ELITE

The Fusion Firearms Hunter is a 5 inch 45 acp 1911 style pistol Kit. This is a good choice for those that want a Tactical 1911 Sport pistol with all of the modern and desirable options included. Chambered in the 45 ACP cartridge, the Hunter-5 is ready for action games, tactical defense and target shooting. The Hunter-5 tactical Elite, has a tactical frame accessory rail to aid in adding optics and scope mounting systems.

This Kit Comes complete with:

Fitted frame with .250 radius cut for high ride beavertail grip safety, Plunger tube and ejector already installed.
Undercut trigger guard
Checkered front-strap on Tactical model
Beveled mag well
Tactical accessory rail on Hunter Tactical Elite.
Ejector installed
Plunger tube installed
Fitted Slide with serrations, lowered and relieved ejection port, and sight cuts
Head-spaced barrel and slide
Fitted stainless steel match grade ramped barrel, link and pin
Fitted barrel bushing
Fitted Slide stop
Novak sight cuts
Recoil system, Guide rod, plug and spring

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/images/Hunter%20TACT%205%20inch%20Kit-2.jpg

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

vta
01-03-2010, 9:40 PM
i cant seem to find the Tactical HUNTER-5 ELITE on their site. can you provide a link?