PDA

View Full Version : mapping softwear

brian.243
01-01-2010, 1:28 PM
I am trying to find some kind of program that i can input gps cordinants and have the program mark that location on a map that could be saved and printed out. I need something that would alow me to add locations and have multiple locations marked at the same time. Topo map or sat pictures as a back ground is a must thanks

the_natterjack
01-01-2010, 1:45 PM
Google Maps? I believe it can do most if not all of what you want.

Brian

Corbin Dallas
01-03-2010, 5:45 PM
Google earth pro.

riprap
01-03-2010, 8:11 PM
How are you obtaining the GPS coordinates?

brian.243
01-04-2010, 5:07 PM
Some are just written on a sheet of paper and some i have collected with my hand held garmin. I was checking out National Geographic Topo California edition that looked like it would do what a need. Anyone use this software?

Hunt
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Some are just written on a sheet of paper and some i have collected with my hand held garmin. I was checking out National Geographic Topo California edition that looked like it would do what a need. Anyone use this software?I just got Delorme topo 8 I think it will do all that is wanted and do it on steroids but man what a learning curve. However I do think it is limited to Delorme GPS units.

ldivinag
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
been using a handheld GPS since 1996. old garmin 12XL.

and i have seen just about every single s/w that runs on windows machine and can interface with a serial port or USB connected GPS.

best looking for maps is microsoft's STREET AND TRIPS.

best topo is delorme's TOPO USA and buy it on the DVD so it contains the whole US in topo.

but since i've gotten a nav gps, i havent bought a newer version of either since 2008...

ldivinag
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I just got Delorme topo 8 I think it will do all that is wanted and do it on steroids but man what a learning curve. However I do think it is limited to Delorme GPS units.

my latest topo usa is version 6 and i was able to use my garmin using the generic NMEA protocol.

so i dont see why the newer versions would not.

except maybe the special version of topo that comes with the delorme hand held GPSes...

there's one more thing about delorme's s/w. i HATE THEIR interface. one nice thing about MS STREET AND TRIPS is the very clean interface. TOPO USA and their STREET ATLAS uses the same interface.... ugggh.

ldivinag
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Some are just written on a sheet of paper and some i have collected with my hand held garmin. I was checking out National Geographic Topo California edition that looked like it would do what a need. Anyone use this software?

i bought this like in the early 2000s...

i hated the look of it. it was a little "messy" for me.

looks like they just scanned in the USGS topo maps.

brian.243
01-05-2010, 7:22 PM
thanks will try to check de lorme out

UBFRAGD
01-09-2010, 6:23 PM
Use the location sensor tool on MS Streets and Trips

software