PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Ammo Law?

louie217
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I just came back from the Ontario,CA gun show set up. MiWall Wholesale is not letting the public touch the pistol ammo already. They say the law came into effect today. I haven't heard of such a law. I know the one goes in Feb of 2011, but is this a new law? Seems no one else is doing this. Any idea, or are they just jumping the gun? thanks in advance.

mscales5
01-01-2010, 12:50 PM
The law takes effect 01/01/11.

hoffmang
01-01-2010, 2:05 PM
The part about the "ammo must be behind the counter" took effect today. The particularly onerous tracking and internet ammo bans doesn't come into effect until February 2011.

-Gene

ke6guj
01-01-2010, 2:13 PM
The part about the "ammo must be behind the counter" took effect today. The particularly onerous tracking and internet ammo bans doesn't come into effect until February 2011.

-Gene

Yup.

Oldbud had this to say about it, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3573994&postcount=26 , and I didn't see anything to refute him in a quick look at the code.

kf6tac
01-01-2010, 2:42 PM
I just came back from the Ontario,CA gun show set up. MiWall Wholesale is not letting the public touch the pistol ammo already. They say the law came into effect today. I haven't heard of such a law. I know the one goes in Feb of 2011, but is this a new law? Seems no one else is doing this. Any idea, or are they just jumping the gun? thanks in advance.

Not directly related to the law, but what was Miwall using to let buyers know which handgun ammo they had in stock behind the booth? A list, pictures of the ammo, etc.?

Rooftop Voter
01-01-2010, 3:45 PM
Not directly related to the law, but what was Miwall using to let buyers know which handgun ammo they had in stock behind the booth? A list, pictures of the ammo, etc.?

did they just leave the little descriptive picture sticker taped to the counter table cltoth...????? god I am sure this will make the gathering crowd around Miwall's table even EASIER to get around next gunshow... :rolleyes::mad::(
So ALL pistol ammo now must be directly inaccessable to the customer - correct??? I wonder if Turners in San Marcos has "hidden" all of their pistol ammo today?

ke6guj
01-01-2010, 3:51 PM
So ALL pistol ammo now must be directly inaccessable to the customer - correct??? yup.
I wonder if Turners in San Marcos has "hidden" all of their pistol ammo today?probably. Oldbud mentioned yesterday that the Signal Hill Turners had the ammo sequestered away yesterday, so I'd assume that would be the deal company wide.

Rooftop Voter
01-01-2010, 3:54 PM
!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^!@#$%^&*!@#$%^&* is all I have to say...
next thing they'll pass is a requirement that we jump through flaming hoops and bark like a seal - I mean COME ON RAAA-TARDS!!!

louie217
01-01-2010, 4:21 PM
Yes, the ammo is behind, and the stickers only are on the table. You see the sticker and the price and ask a counter person to get it for you! Didn't know that.

nitrofc
01-01-2010, 4:27 PM
That's freakin ridiculous.

bodger
01-01-2010, 4:27 PM
I thought the entirety of AB962 did not take effect until 2011.

Now I am really pissed that DeLeon starts getting his control earlier than I thought.

I'm buying over the internet until 2011, and then it's off to AZ for me. I will never go along with this.

SJ78
01-01-2010, 5:53 PM
Just curious are stores now putting riffle ammo behind the counter as well ?
I know the law passed was for HG ammo . But i wouldnt be surprised if it's all locked up now .

kf6tac
01-01-2010, 5:55 PM
Just curious are stores now putting riffle ammo behind the counter as well ?
I know the law passed was for HG ammo . But i wouldnt be surprised if it's all locked up now .

Because the Penal Code has a craptacularly vague definition of what "handgun ammunition" is, so it's probably easier for most vendors, since they have to set up a space behind the counter for "handgun ammunition" anyway, to just move everything back there to avoid any possibility that DOJ might come after them for any of their ammo that is not behind the counter.

SJ78
01-01-2010, 6:30 PM
Hopefully you dont have to go through the thumb print stuff for the riffle ammo :rolleyes:

bigcalidave
01-01-2010, 6:31 PM
It's really not that vague
California Penal Code Section 12323
(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in
pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed
upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001,
notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

Principally for use in handguns. I don't see how there could be confusion on ANY rifle round, even .22 long rifle.
Honestly, due to theft I haven't seen MUCH handgun ammunition located in a place where I could access it as a customer anyways. Are stores putting it under lock and key?

jchen76@gmail.com
01-01-2010, 6:36 PM
Only place I've seen handgun ammo under lock in key is Wal Mart. So who up for going to Reno and pickup 3k of various handgun rounds?

bodger
01-01-2010, 6:39 PM

Principally for use in handguns. I don't see how there could be confusion on ANY rifle round, even .22 long rifle.
Honestly, due to theft I haven't seen MUCH handgun ammunition located in a place where I could access it as a customer anyways. Are stores putting it under lock and key?

I don't see how there could be any confusion either, but my guess is these dealers will cover their butts and keep it all behind the counter. Except maybe shotgun shells.

FUD driven restrictions. Just what the antis love. Laws too complicated for anyone to understand, including the DOJ, the cops and the courts.

SJ78
01-01-2010, 6:43 PM
I hope 22 LR is not included in this new law . But being it can be used in pistols , i'am sure they will make you jump through hoops .

ke6guj
01-01-2010, 6:54 PM
I don't see how there could be any confusion either, but my guess is these dealers will cover their butts and keep it all behind the counter. Except maybe shotgun shells.

FUD driven restrictions. Just what the antis love. Laws too complicated for anyone to understand, including the DOJ, the cops and the courts.

The problem is when the ATF considers .223, .308, and 7.62x39 to be handgun ammo, and then you have stuff like the 5.7x28mm which is used in both handguns and rifles, where do you draw the line. Keeping in mind thatif you are mistaken on where the line is, you've violated the law.

I hope 22 LR is not included in this new law . But being it can be used in pistols , i'am sure they will make you jump through hoops .nobody knows if CADOJ (and local LE) considers .22LR tobe handgun ammo. Yes, it says "rifle" right inthe name of the cartridge, but there are plenty of .22lr pistols out there.

I'm thinking that CADOJ needs to set up supporting regulations that clarify what is considered "handgun ammo" as it applies to AB962.

bodger
01-01-2010, 7:00 PM
The problem is when the ATF considers .223, .308, and 7.62x39 to be handgun ammo, and then you have stuff like the 5.7x28mm which is used in both handguns and rifles, where do you draw the line. Keeping in mind thatif you are mistaken on where the line is, you've violated the law.

nobody knows if CADOJ (and local LE) considers .22LR tobe handgun ammo. Yes, it says "rifle" right inthe name of the cartridge, but there are plenty of .22lr pistols out there.

I'm thinking that CADOJ needs to set up supporting regulations that clarify what is considered "handgun ammo" as it applies to AB962.

I guess "principally used" is where that analysis and clarification will have to begin.
What a waste of time. The antis just want to make it so complicated to own and sell guns & ammo in this state that everyone just gives up.

Doing it legally anyway, how many criminals even know about these laws.

Oldbud
01-01-2010, 7:09 PM
I thought the entirety of AB962 did not take effect until 2011.

.........As did I & many others, until I noticed the inaccessibility occurring on Thursday. Another look at the PC affirms that, which ke6guj linked the portions I posted.

Now that the counter employees must handle every customer's handgun ammo purchase will expend time & cost for the retailer, don't expect prices of available ammo to normalize to what they should be.

Oldbud
01-01-2010, 7:18 PM

Principally for use in handguns. Unfortunately, when a phrase like that is "law", it can open it up to some interpretations. Does number of 22lf rifles vs pistols manufactured or sold make the determination, is that state wide or how about local stats, one county or city vs another.

Hunt
01-01-2010, 7:59 PM
Now I am really pissed that DeLeon starts getting his control earlier than I thought... don't pick on DeLeon he got an award from the Aspen Institute he has a bright future in politics. I look to see him run for a seat in Congress.